When the second world war ended Box Hill's population was mainly in an east-west band centred on Whitehorse Road. To the south there was a mixture of dairy farms, scattered houses and undeveloped subdivisions. To the north the landscape was even more rural, as orchards overlooked the Koonung Koonung Creek and across to Doncaster. The rapidity of residential growth is traceable in the opening of schools: primary schools opened were Box Hill North (1954), Koonung Heights (1954) and Kerrimuir (1959); and the Koonung Heights secondary college was opened in 1965. Shopping centres are confined to groups of a few shops, as Doncaster Shoppingtown and Box Hill Central are within reasonable driving distance.
The street layout is mostly in a grid, predating the subdivisions with cul-de-sac design to filter out through traffic. Neighbourhood parks are fewer than for later subdivisions, but there is a scattering of reserves, one of them linear along Bushy Creek. At its ends are Springfield Park and Elgar Park, the latter adjoining Koonung Koonung Creek and having ovals and a miniature railway.
The median house price in Box Hill North in 1987 was 8% above the median
for metropolitan Melbourne and in 1996 it was 14% above the metropolitan
Webpage designed and maintained by the Webmaestros at the NCAS Multimedia.
For more information on the Webmaestros, contact Dorota Roslaniec or Joanne Jacobs