Roadfood.com Forums
Roadfood.com Forums
Home | Roadfood Insider | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Lunch & Dinner Forum
 Chicken
 Good Fried Chicken
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Sundancer7
Double Chili Cheeseburger

1897 Posts

This Person Loves Roadfood!
Posted - 04/07/2003 :  18:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Around Knoxville, you use to be able to buy good fried chicken but that is not the case anymore. I am not sure if KFC ran them all off or what. I would drive 100 miles for some gooooood fried chicken along with some good chicken gravy, cole slaw and hot bisquits. If anyone knows of such a wonderful place, I wanna go and soon. I like it moist on the inside and a real crunch outside or crust.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Bushie

1179 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  18:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if Nashville is within 100 miles (I don't think so), but Lovelass Cafe south of Nashville has one of the best fried chicken dinners in the country. I don't remember anything about cole slaw there, but if you like country veggies, they've got 'em. I've taken many clients and co-workers there, and I've yet to get a bad review.

It's worth the extra miles. They also make their own preserves. I think Michael Stern likes the Peach preserves best, but I'm a Blackberry fan.
Go to Top of Page

Sundancer7

1897 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  19:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You indicated that Loveless Cafe is south of Nashville. Do you have an address, city or approximate location.

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Michael Stern

437 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  19:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

You indicated that Loveless Cafe is south of Nashville. Do you have an address, city or approximate location.

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I agree; they have some of the best:

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=198

Go to Top of Page

Sundancer7

1897 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  19:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it wasn't so late, I think I would drive down tonight. I gotta have a good fried chicken fix and PDQ

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Sundancer7

1897 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  19:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, in your extensively traveled expertise, where is the best fried chicken in America?

I want to go there!!!!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Michael Stern

437 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  09:41:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Michael, in your extensively traveled expertise, where is the best fried chicken in America?

I want to go there!!!!

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Oh, boy, is that a loaded question! But I don't mind taking the plunge. At this moment, for classically excellent fried chicken, I vote for Buntyn in Memphis:

But for great fried chicken with a twist, I like The Bon Ton Mini Mart (Sorry, too delirious to photograph the food!) or the "Bar-B-Que chicken" (actually pan fried, then quick-dipped in hot BBQ sauce at Keaton's, not too far from you near Statesville, NC:

Go to Top of Page

Sundancer7

1897 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  10:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Memphis is exactly 387 miles from Knoxville and I needed an excuse to go there anyway. I am going to Buntyn's PDQ. Great pic

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Ballpark Roadtripper
Cheeseburger

116 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  14:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the best fried chicken I've had:

Weaver D's Fine Soul Food- Athens, GA
-tiny roadhouse made famous by REM (the title of their album "Automatic For The People" comes from this restaurant's sign)

Sylvia's- Harlem
- Still awesome after all these years

Viand Diner- 86th and 2nd, NYC
- a simple diner, but they make some awesome chicken
Go to Top of Page

Michael Hoffman
Cheeseburger

422 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  16:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best fried chicken in America? Easy. In Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands. And now's the time to go. It's Carnival, and during Carnival they fry up absolutely great chicken right on the square in the center of town. The secret? They skin the chicken, roll it in spices similar to jerk, then deep fry it.

Ambrosia!
Go to Top of Page

Sundancer7

1897 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  16:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I could go there but my obligations keep me from doing what I want. The islands are out of the question. I am on a fried chicken salary and definately can't go there now. Wish I could.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Mike Lopinto
Junior Burger

2 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  19:01:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, now you know I have to disagree and report that the absolute BEST fried chicken is in Mississippi...at The Dinner Bell
Go to Top of Page

Sundancer7

1897 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  19:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK mike, where is it located?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Michael Stern

437 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  21:18:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK mike, where is it located?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Right here!
Go to Top of Page

Sundancer7

1897 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  21:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right on and thanks

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Go VOLS
Go to Top of Page

pigface
Cheeseburger

212 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  22:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for those pictures that made me drool all over my key board
I made it to The Loveless Motel last October, driving all day, from
The Gulf Coast, running away from Hurricane Lilly, got off I-65 and weaved
over to the Loveless, just in time to park a trailer in the back of the
restaurant, put the poor dogs in the trailer to smell all that fried chicken ...
The Parking Lot smelled so good out back ...
Poor Dogs, we walk in to the restaurant, and they asked us if their were any more in our party, then turned off the front sign ... What timing
The chicken was delicious, and the dressing ... Had to be made from the biscuits & cornbread... It was so good I bought their Tee Shirt
Gulf Coast to Nashville ... 500 miles ... Nashville to Detroit ... 600 miles
Can't wait to go back
Nice roadtrip, but the Dogs aren't happy when you come out w/o leftovers
Go to Top of Page

FatWayne
Junior Burger

1 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  12:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those a little to the left of Knoxville, here are some great chicken places on the Left Coast...

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles - Pasadena, Ca. and a couple locations in Los Angeles, Ca. Featured in a number of movies, Roscoe's is an eclectic mix of great waffles and great fried chicken. The cliente is always a strange mix of neighborhood folks, suburban explorers, and the famous or infamous.

Lois the Pie Queen - in Oakland, Ca. near the Berkely border. A really tiny place located a block off MLK Blvd. Where else can you get fried chicken and pork chops for breakfast? Lois still has the old fashioned counter, lots of locally produced art on the walls, and photos of the famous who have somehow found their way in. Yes, the pies are fit for a queen. The biscuits are to die for as is the conversations with the last of the social radicals on Saturday and Sunday.
Go to Top of Page

Sundancer7

1897 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  12:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brother and I own a NHRA race team and we are in Pomona every February and November and we always go to Roscoe's for the chicken and waffle's REAL GOOD. Featured in "Pulp Fiction"

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Richard Brooks Alba
Hamburger

55 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  15:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second THAT emotion!
Yes, Lois the Pie Queen [851 60th @ Adeline in O-Town] makes some rockin' fried chicken - but I have to say I've encountered a good number of places that serve or feature chicken and/or pork chops for breakfast. Just not enough of them around here....
I didn't get to try Roscoe's in Oakland until they moved from Broadway over to Grand, across from Lake Merritt. I loved & lived for their brunch buffet - a little Southern heaven in the Bay Area - and was shocked to find them closed down without any indication of whether they would reopen. I keep meaning to try Roscoe's down in L.A. (on Pico & La Brea?), but always seem to have other culinary quests to conquer.
Hungrily,
Richard
Berkeley,CA
Go to Top of Page

jmckee
Cheeseburger

226 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  17:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No question as to the best.

Mrs. Rowe's Family Restaurant, just off of I-81, north of the junction of 81 and I-64, in Staunton, Virginia.

We love the place. After the terrorist attacks in 2001, my wife turned to me at one point and said, "Well, if this is it, if it's all over for us, let's head to Staunton. I'm not getting done in before I have a last helping of fried chicken and mashed potatoes."
Go to Top of Page

bumper
Hamburger

61 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  19:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy you folks are driving me mad for some of that chicken at Rowe's will have stop next time I make that I-81 run.
Go to Top of Page

glenda Palmer
Junior Burger

13 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  19:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Loveless Cafe is on Highway 100, southwest of Nashville. I am not sure how many miles, but not too far.
Go to Top of Page

wtgriffin
Junior Burger

12 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  12:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Stroud's in Kansas City.

Both locations are great. The fried chicken is just like my grandma used to make, back in the good ol' days when frying in lard wouldn't shoot my cholesterol through the roof.

I challenge anybody to think about dessert after their chicken breast dinner - which includes three breasts, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, green beans, salad and hot cinnamon rolls.

The pictures of Rush Limbaugh on the wall are a good indicator of why he developed a couple of chins after regularly eating at Strouds when he worked with the Royals. But once in a blue moon, I can afford the calories.

Tim G.
Go to Top of Page

hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger

174 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  11:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Chicago area, the best is the White Fence Farm.
Go to Top of Page

jgleduc
Cheeseburger

124 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  00:19:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
In the Chicago area, the best is the White Fence Farm.

If Chicago is going to get into the game, I have to mention - on behalf of the thousands of drunken U of C students who have been nourished there and thrived - Harold's Chicken Shack. A friend of mine used to live near the corner of Woodlawn and 53rd, right across from their location in the Kenmore Plaza. Grab a couple of quarter darks with hot sauce, get some Schiltz at the liquor store and head back up to watch the Bulls with chicken and beer. Along with the Swissburgers at Jimmy's Woodlawn Tap, Harold's chicken sustained me through my time in Hyde Park.

JL

Edited by - jgleduc on 07/04/2003 08:46:19
Go to Top of Page

alipset
Junior Burger

1 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2003 :  11:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael (or anyone in the know)-
Any suggestions for good fried chicken right here in Fairfield County, CT? Stew Leonard's is inconsistent at best, and they don't use the skin. Popeye's would be great if I didn't have to travel to NYC.
Thanks,
Alan
Go to Top of Page

Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger

604 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  13:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best commercially available Fried Yardbird in the world is currently available on Oak St. in New Orleans at Jacquimo's. It is being floured and fried by Austin Leslie. Formerly of Chez Helene, a soul food emporium with few peers. The place is small and always packed, but there is a great nightspot next door (The Maple Leaf Bar) and a happening live music scene in the neighborhood. The best fried chicken in the world is available to those in the know at my mama's house in Chatham, LA., but you gotta know somebody to get a table.. I would also like to point out, while we are on the subject, that really good fried chicken comes from real chickens, not chickenhouse process chickens. The flavor is like night and day. I don't much go for all of that free range business, but yard chickens are a whole lot tastier than ones from Wally World.
Go to Top of Page

signman
Cheeseburger

251 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  16:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mayhaw Man

That is big news -- the whereabouts of Austin Leslie. I won't make it to NO till sometime in the fall. I hope he'll still be there. Wasn't there another very good place called Eddie's or something close.
Go to Top of Page

hosseini
Junior Burger

8 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  18:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
breezy heights tavern

near route 70 just outside of washington pa on the way to bethany wva you will find breezy heights tavern and one of the best fried chickens around . actually broasted , its got a tender tasty crust and a juicy inside. Make sure you eat in the old dining room - apparently someone was a hunter and in that room type of stuffed animal head will gaze down at you as you dine ;for those who may get nervous with all the peering eyes looking down there are other areas available.
Go to Top of Page

Ort. Carlton.
Cheeseburger

467 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  20:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dearfolk,
The Loveless Cafe is about 12 miles, maybe fifteen, southwest of Nashvegas. Jest (speling corect) git you on Number 100 Highway towards Memphis; hit's a ways out on yer right. If'n ye cross the county line, ye done gone to far: turn aroun' an' go back.
While I do live in Athens, Georgia, it's been aeons since I've chomped down on a piece of Weaver D.'s fried chicken. Too many things there are too good; I haven't been there because I tend to overeat!
My two other Athens recommendations would have to be Wilson's Soul Food on North Hull Street and Plantation Buffet on M. L. K. right where it turns back into Commerce Road, just inside the perimeter.
Additionally, The Gateway Cafe will fix you fried chicken for breakfast and not look at you funny. Pie as well.
I've run upon a new-to-me place that serves a killer breakfast until 3:00 P. M. seven daze a week. They have fresh vegetables every day, with a rotating menu. The place is The Normaltown Cafe' and it is located at 175B Tallassee Road. They originally started on Prince Avenue in Normaltown, but lucked onto this location a few months ago. Since moving, their menu is expanding one item at a time... now they have ham/cheeseburgers where they didn't before! - And everything is from scratch, uninstant, and hand-made. Yum. I only wish they stayed open later than 9:00 P. M., because it's 8:58 right now and I've still got some more to do here before the library closes.
When I encounter somemorepossibilities to add here, I'll repOrt. back to y'all.
Ramblingly, Ort. Carlton in crackling good Athens, Georgia.
Go to Top of Page

Ort. Carlton.
Cheeseburger

467 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2003 :  21:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dearfolk,
Dadgonespacerkeydoesn'twanttowork.Dagnabbit.Dingbustit.
Runonically,Ort.Carlton.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

Roadfood.com Forums © 2004 Roadfood.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000