Back
Church Gazetteer  

Please Wait, Loading...

Sunderland, Holy Trinity Printer Friendly Version

This handsome brick and stone church was built in 1718–19, perhaps designed by William Etty, who certainly played a part in fitting out the interior. Then in a quiet situation on the edge of a lively and vigorous port: now, again, surrounded by open spaces. In 1735 the apse and its ‘Venetian’ window were added, the west gallery and a new roof in about 1803, but many of the 1719 furnishings remain. The interior is brightly lit through large clear windows and has many appealing features: the striking baroque chancel arch, an elegant font with a richly ornamented cover, west end stalls for constables, overseers and sidesmen, the fine memorial to the Revd Robert Gray (1838), and much else.

Grid Reference NZ 406 572
Opening Arrangements Keyholder nearby
Directions Off High Street East
Click here for map
Special Events
    This church has 2 Special Events planned