Female Shirley who married a William Millett

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marilee Means on July 11, 2001 at 21:16:21:

I have reached a dead end and am trying to go at this from another direction. My great grandfather was H.S. Millett, born in Nottingham, UK 2/14/1834. I have found a listing which says that his father was William Millett who married a "Miss Shirley". I am assuming that the surname was Shirley as this was H.S.'s middle name (Henry Shirley Millett). One of his sons was also named H.S. and the other G.V. (George Van Millett). The first H.S. came to America in about 1844 (he would have been about 11). The family story goes that he came with two brothers ("One went West and one North"). H.S. traveled quite a bit, started work as a "printer's devil" and eventually became a publisher in Kansas City after having worked in many newspapers, started one in Canon City, CO before the Civil War, and then moved to Kansas City,MO married, etc. I am guessing the other brothers were older so the marriage date may have been around 1815-25 or so. Having read some of H.S.'s poetry and writings, he seems to have been well read, and classically educated (i.e. makes references to Greek and Roman mythology, occasionally uses Latin, etc.). This combined with the extensive travel he did while quite young implies a well-to-do family background.
Any matches with a Millett from Nottingham area???? I havae found nothing else RE William or his wife.
Thanks. Marilee Means

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]