|Home » »|
Viewer Privacy and Security Notice
1. This World Wide Web (WWW) site is provided as a public service by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, FEMA.
2. Information presented on this FEMA WWW site is considered public information and may be distributed or copied. Use of appropriate byline/photo/image credits is requested.
Information collected and stored automatically
1. The information we learn about you from your visit to our website depends upon what functions you perform when visiting our site.
2. For site management, information is collected for statistical purposes. This government computer system uses software programs to create summary statistics, which are used for such purposes as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.
3. If you do nothing during your visit but browse through the website, read pages, or download information, we will gather and store certain information about your visit automatically. This information does not identify you personally. We automatically collect and store the following information about your visit:
1. The only cookies FEMA uses on its web are those that allow several complex software user-driven applications to work correctly. For instance, our online ordering services (for publications of the U.S. Fire Administration and for the FEMA Flood Map Store) allow users to "shop" through the catalog. As a user goes through and checks off a series of publications, each transaction is a separate "signal" sent between their computer and ours. In order to maintain a complete record of the total order, the FEMA server sends a cookie to identify that user's order. The only information collected is related to that particular publication order and this information is NOT retained once the order is sent.
Please be assured that FEMA's use of cookie technology is NOT a covert attempt to either collect or analyze information on Internet users.
Information Collected from E-mails and Web Forms
If you identify yourself by sending an E-mail or using Web Forms:
Security and Intrusion Detection
1. For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, this government computer system employs software programs to monitor host and network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.
2. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National Archives and Records Administration guidelines.
3. Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information on this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National Information Infrastructure Protection Act."
Privacy Statement Relating to System Of Records
The FEMA Flood Map Store provides dissemination of FEMA's flood map and insurance products for an associated fee. The following relate to the purchase of FEMA flood related products.
E-Commerce Privacy Statement
1. Personal information submitted by a user in a comment or question via phone, fax, or e-mail is not distributed to parties outside of the FEMA Flood Map Store.
2. Only information submitted through the FEMA Flood Map Store ordering process is protected. Please do NOT include credit card information in E-mail. The open nature of Internet E-mail prevents FEMA from protecting information provided in E-mail.
3. Using commercially available services for security and credit card transactions, the FEMA Flood Map Store ensures that only authorized personnel view credit card numbers that are submitted through the FEMA Flood Map Store.
4. Personal information that is supplied by a user when submitting an order via the FEMA Flood Map Store, phone, fax, or e-mail is used for fulfilling that order. This information may be used to notify customers of new products that may be of interest to them.
5. Where identifying information is asked, it is used only for responding to users' comments or questions and is not made available for other purposes.
7. As noted above, session (temporary) cookies, not permanent cookies, are used to facilitate the on line ordering process.
Map Service Center Encryption Statement
The FEMA Flood Map Store utilizes industry standard Secure Socket Layer, SSL,
encryption in conjunction with freely available web browsers. The SSL
technology ensures private, secure transactions for customers who submit
electronic orders by credit card through the FEMA Flood Map Store.
|Last Updated: Tuesday, 11-Feb-2003 08:54:28 EST|
|FEMA 500 C Street, SW Washington, D.C. 20472 Phone: (202) 566-1600|