Southeast Florida Chapter

Government Forms to Start an Investment Club in Florida

Here are links to the various State and Federal government forms to start your Investment Club in Florida.

Table of Contents

Essentially there are two pieces of government paper work you must complete to start an investment club in Florida: You must 1) file a Fictitious Name with the State of Florida, and 2) get a Federal Employee Identification Number from the IRS.

  1. Filing a Fictitious Name in the State of Florida
    If a business (or investment club), not incorporated, is named something other than the owner's name, a fictitious name must be registered with the state. The fictitious name must be advertised once in a newspaper in the county where the business will be based. For more information, write:

    Florida Department of State
    Fictitious Name Registration
    Box 1300
    Tallahassee, FL 32302-1300

    You can download the necessary Form (CR4E-001) and Instructions Application to Register a Ficticious Name with the State of Florida at, OR

    Apply online with the Electronic Filing for Registration of a Fictitious Name with the State of Florida at

  2. Filing for the Federal Employer Identification Number (SS-4)
    A Federal Employer Identification Number (SS-4) is issued to most businesses and investment clubs. For federal forms and tax information, visit your local IRS office or call 1-800-829-3676.

    Or you can download from the IRS the Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number and Instructions at

    There are two sections under forms: one you can print the form and fill it in by hand or the other which allows you to fill out the form with your computer. You can then print it out for signature and mailing.

    Later you will need your Federal Employer Identification Number on the Florida Sales & Use Tax return (DR-15) that you can download from the Florida Department of Revenue at

Also, depending on the County and City you are organizing in, you may need to also register with each of them. Contact the Occupational Licensing Department within your County and City for more information on this. Search for your city and county with:

  Club & Membership Services

Wanda Burke, Chairperson - Membership Services, E-mail:

Club & Investor Education Links

For links to information on Starting and Running an Investment Club, Tax Forms, NAIC Education including to the I-Club List, Stock Ideas with SSG files and other other Investment sites, and Club Web sites in SE Florida sites (add a link to your club's site!) just click here to go to our "Club and Investor Education Links" Web page.

[ Back to SE Florida Club & Education Links ] or [ Back to SE Florida Chapter at NAICSEFL.ORG ]

Copyright © 2004.  All rights reserved.
Send web comments to:  Revised: 02/15/04.