Search the Hawley Cemetary Database:
Hawley Cemetery (formerly Deming's Bridge Cemetery), located 3 miles east of Blessing on highway 35, was started in 1854. In 1893, J.E. Pierce donated an additional 1 1/2 acres to the original 2 acres of land. In 1898, J.E. Pierce had the name changed to Hawley Cemetery, to honor his friend, State Senator Hawley, who had helped Johathan's son Able Pierce be appointed as an officer in the Spanish-American War. In 1913, Pearl Pierce Smith and Grace Pierce Heffelfinger donated an additional 13 acres to the Cemetery.
In 1940, the Hawley Cemetery Association was formed by the request of Pearl Pierce Smith. The cemetery is now a non- profit charitable organization, to which tax-deductible contributions can be made.
Hawley Cemetery is perhaps best known outside the immediate area as the burial site of A.H."Shanghai" Pierce, a Texas rancher; J.E. Pierce, a Texas rancher and the founder of Blessing; W.W."Pudge" Heffelfinger, an All-American guard from Yale University in the 1800's ; as well as countless American servicemen and women.