The residential settlement of Bell Park began in the 1950s, and many of the new settlers were postwar European migrants. Two of the larger groups were Croatians and Italians. Many built make-do bungalows until they earned enough to build better finished dwellings. Bell Park was made a separate Catholic Parish, and the Holy Family school and church are about central to Bell Park. Nearby is a Croatian community hall in a shopping area, along with the high school (1959) and the technical school (1968). They are now secondary colleges. There are also Greek Orthodox, Ukrainian (two), Russian Orthodox, Serbian Orthodox and Macedonian Orthodox churches.
There are two reserves with soccer fields adjoining the schools. A linear reserve runs along Bell Park's northern boundary, Cowies Creek. At the southern end of Bell Park there are the Geelong Golf Club's links and the Grace MaKellar Centre.
In 1987 and 1996 the median house prices in Bell Park were $53,000 and $84,000 respectively.
Gibson, Norm, (ed.), "A Fresh Start in a New Land", (oral history), Shire of Corio, 1988.
Wynd, Ian, "So Fine A County: A History of the Shire of Corio",
Shire of Corio, 1981.
Webpage designed and maintained by the Webmaestros at the NCAS Multimedia.
For more information on the Webmaestros, contact Dorota Roslaniec or Joanne Jacobs