Baddaginnie, a rural locality with a small village,
is on the Melbourne-Albury railway line and the old Hume Highway. It is
12 km. south-west of Benalla, situated in mainly flat unforested country,
one kilometre west of the Baddaginnie Creek.
The site for Baddaginnie was surveyed in 1857. Its
named is believed to be derived form an expression learned in Ceylon by
the surveyor, meaning "hungry", as the survey team was without
food when it arrived at Baddaginnie. The village was a stopping place for
changes of horses on the Sydney road. Early industries included grazing,
a quarry, vine growing and the cutting of timber for firewood and box wood.
The timber cutting was itinerant, which delayed the formation of a sufficiently
large settlement for a primary school until 1873.
Before the turn of the century Baddaginnie had three hotels and a butter
factory. In 1903 The Australian Handbook described Baddaginnie -
Baddaginnie has a store, a school, a reserve
and a church hall. The district's census populations have been 32 (1861),
276 (1911) and 235 (1961).