Scioto County: 01 May 1803
Immediately on the heels of statehood, Scioto County Ohio was formed from the eastern territory of Adams County, 01 May 1803. Scioto County's territory at creation totalled 780 square miles.
Ohio's county development at the time of admittance into the union is illustrated in the map directly above. Chillicothe was the seat of Ohio's government from 1803-1810 and 1812-1816. Franklinton, later renamed to Columbus, became the official state capital in 1816. From 1810-1812, Zanesville, Fairfield County, was the location of the state capital.
The purple dotted line illustrates the northern boundary of the Treaty of Greeneville (1795). The red line running from Aberdeen, Adams County Ohio, and the eastern border of Ohio (crossing the Ohio River at Wheeling [West] Virginia, is Zane's Trace.
Ebenezer Zane laid out a road (known as Zane's Trace) from Wheeling, Virginia (WV), through Ohio, to Limestone (now called Maysville), Kentucky. Zane's Trace opened in 1797, and towns along the route included (southwest to northeast) West Union and Peebles (Adams Co), Sinking Spring (Highland Co), Chillicothe (Ross Co), Tarleton (Pickaway Co), Lancaster (Fairfield Co), Zanesville (Muskingum Co), Cambridge (Guernsey Co), St. Clairsville (Belmont Co), and Wheeling (Ohio Co) WV. Zane's Trace provided the best means of overland travel through southern and eastern Ohio until the advent of the railway system.
Scioto County: 1804
|[ Locations ]||[ Webmaster ]|