Our benefactors

The Foundation Fellowship is supported by a number of endowments grouped under the Foundation Fellows’ umbrella. Each fellow is funded by one of these named endowments. We recommend that fellows send their respective sponsor or sponsor representative the occasional letter of thanks with news about their academic progress and plans each year. Paula has the addresses.
PHILIP ALSTON

Philip Henry Alston, Jr. was a modest man of immodest accomplishments. He died March 2, 1988, leaving a rich legacy of service to The University of Georgia, the State of Georgia and the Nation.

Philip Alston received his A.B. degree from The University of Georgia in 1932, continued his education in law (LLB) at Emory University, and did postgraduate work at Harvard Law School. He associated himself for more than 50 years with the law firm his father and uncle founded-Alston, Miller & Gaines, the predecessor of Alston & Bird. He was a partner in the firm from 1942 to 1977, when he became ambassador to Australia during the Carter administration. After service as ambassador, Mr. Alston returned to Atlanta to serve "of counsel" with Alston & Bird and continued his active interest and involvement in the life of the community.

An Atlanta business and civic leader, Mr. Alston served on the University System Board of Regents, was a former president of the University of Georgia Alumni Society, served as a trustee for the Fulton DeKalb Hospital Authority (Grady Memorial Hospital), served as co-chairman of the Community Chest (United Way), and was a trustee of the Charles Loridans and the Vasser Woolley Foundations.

Mr. Alston was, for many years, a key figure in raising money for The University of Georgia Foundation. He was a trustee of the Foundation, serving as secretary and later as chairman. His will contained a special bequest for the Foundation. He helped create the Presidents Club, which currently recognizes the highest level of private giving to the University. He was also co-chairman of the joint Tech-Georgia Development Fund, which raises money from businesses and industry to support Georgia Tech and The University of Georgia.


EUGENE BLACK

Eugene R. Black was a courtly Georgian who became one of the world's most influential figures as President of the World Bank from 1949-1962. Mr. Black was 93 years old when he died in 1991. The future World Banker was born on May 1, 1898 in Atlanta and graduated in 1917 from The University of Georgia. He later served in the Navy in World War I and then joined the Atlanta office of Harris Forbes & Company, a New York bond and banking house.

The banking community respected him for his knowledge of the bond market. In 1947, Mr. Black joined the World Bank as Executive Director for the United States. In his 13 years as President of the World Bank, Mr. Black built that international organization from 48 member nations with a capital base of $8.3 billion to 80 with a capital base of $20.5 billion.

Mr. Black's directorships and the like - most of which he relinquished while in his seventies ranged far afield. He was a Trustee of Oglethorpe College in Atlanta, the Johns Hopkins University, the Institute of International Education, the Population Council, Inc., the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and the Ford Foundation. In addition, he was Chairman of the John F. Kennedy Library and served as a trustee of The University of Georgia Foundation.

On retiring from the World Bank, Mr. Black was made Chairman of the Brooking Institute and a board member of Equitable Life Insurance Society, Chase Manhattan Bank, The International Telephone and Telegraph Company, The American Express Company and others.

Mr. Black had a fond and loyal relationship with The University of Georgia. It was because of this relationship that a Foundation Fellows Scholarship was established in his name.


CARLYLE FRASER

Mr. Carlyle Fraser was born in Cornwall on the Hudson in New York. During part of World War I he served in the U.S. Army at Augusta, Georgia, and he began his business career at the end of that conflict. In 1929 Mr. Fraser came to Atlanta and bought Genuine Parts Company with an initial investment of $40,000. He served as the firm's President until 1947, when he became Chairman of the Board of Directors.

Mr. Fraser was also Chairman of the Board of Echlin Manufacturing Company of New Haven, Connecticut, and a Director of the Trust Company of Georgia, The Atlanta Gas Light Company, Piedmont Southern Life Insurance Company and the National Automotive Parts Association.

He was educated at The Stone School in his native town and graduated from Hamilton College in Clinton, New York. He was a member and trustee of Covenant Presbyterian Church, a former President of the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, Past VicePresident of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Director of the Atlanta Boys Club and Past-President of the Atlanta Kiwanis Club.

Although he was active in civic work, it wasn't enough. He ran for the County Commission and was elected. His service, marked by ability and stoney integrity, spoke for itself. What seemed to surprise Mr. Fraser and then to delight him, was the deep enjoyment he derived from politics, from sitting beside the stove with constituents in a rural area to meeting with men and women as servant, not boss.

He wasn't a politician in the standard sense at all. He was a man who made a great success in life and then decided he wanted to devote time to serving the community that had been kind to him.

Carlyle Fraser was in every sense both a distinguished gentleman and a humble friend to every honest man he met. He was a devoted husband, father and friend.

Mrs. Carlyle Fraser was a devoted wife, mother, friend and caring, compassionate humanitarian. Born in Woodstock, Ontario, Canada, Mrs. Fraser was a graduate of Wellsley Hospital School of Nursing. An avid poetry reader, she had an undying love for the arts and was involved in the Atlanta Opera, the Atlanta Botanical Gardens, and the Atlanta Speech Hospital and a member of its auxiliary, Mrs. Fraser served as the hospital's auxiliary president from 1955-1957. She was also a member of Egleston's Honorary Board of Trustees. Mrs. Fraser was a member of the First Presbyterian Church and active in the church's Sunday School program.

Mrs. Fraser continued the tradition of philanthropy begun years ago by her husband, the late Carlyle Fraser, founder of Genuine Parts Company. The Westminster School Library is named after the Frasers in honor of their dedication to the betterment of others. Mrs. Fraser is responsible for establishing the Carlyle Fraser

Fellowships at The University of Georgia in honor of her husband, and her name is commemorated in a wing at the Shepherd Spinal Center.

Both Mrs. Fraser and Mr. Fraser are remembered in the Carlyle Fraser Heart Center, a nationally recognized establishment for the research and treatment of heart and lung disorders at Crawford Long Hospital. Mrs. Fraser's training as a nurse and her love for people was a guiding light and inspiration for many who came in contact with her through the Carlyle Fraser Heart Center. The outpatient center at Crawford Long Hospital was also named in Mrs. Fraser's honor.


VERA MILNER

A. Milner, better known as Deady, was born October 2, 1897 in Juliette, Georgia. She lived as a young child in Covington, Georgia and later moved to Atlanta as a teenager. After attending Girls High School she went on to The University of Georgia to obtain her undergraduate degree. At the University of Virginia she studied education at the graduate level and later taught in the Atlanta Public School System at the Pryor Street School.

Deady had a tremendous interest in children and their education. She was Program Director of the Interlaken Camp in Hanover, New Hampshire and also Program Director of Camp Highland, a girl scout camp in Atlanta. A good example of her interest is when she visited a sister in India and was terribly appalled at the educational standards there. She immediately went to work and spent a year teaching in India. Deady really loved to travel and did so extensively. Her outside interests included exercise class, bird watching, needlepoint, and hand work. She was a member of DAR.

Deady never married and had no children. However, she was very close to her sisters and their offspring. Although very frugal in her own life-style, she was extremely generous with others. Deady's gifts, which centered around children and education, included the High Museum in Atlanta, the Brevard Music Center, the Atlanta Speech School, and the Atlanta Fulton County Library.

Deady made a significant gift to The University of Georgia Foundation to help attract the most outstanding high school students to The University of Georgia. She would not let her name be used in connection with the naming of those scholarships. After her death in September of 1982, her generous gift was acknowledged by beginning to use her name with the scholarships that she had made possible.


WINSHIP NUNNALLY

Winship Nunnally was born in Atlanta on January 1, 1885. He attended school in Atlanta at the old Atlanta Boys' High School and graduated from The University of Georgia with a B.A. degree in 1904. He later attended Yale University.

After graduating from The University of Georgia and Yale University, Mr. Nunnally began a successful business career with the Nunnally Candy Company becoming a Vice President in 1907 and the President in 1920. As his own career advanced, he became associated with the Coca-Cola Company, the Trust Company of Georgia, and Delta Airlines. He served for ten years as a member of the Board of Directors of the Citizens and Southern National Bank and was a Director of the Columbus Transportation Company.

Winship Nunnally loved to fly and was a sportsman pilot in the 1920's. In early 1942 he became state wing commander of the Civil Air Patrol and served through World War II with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Mr. Nunnally was a steadfast alumnus of The University of Georgia and showed a keen insight in the aspirations and needs of the institution. He was one of the most generous and constant supporters of the University in helping to improve the excellence of its programs through voluntary giving. Prior to his death, Mr. Nunnally set up a scholarship for the University with a major gift of Coca-Cola stock. This scholarship became the Winship Nunnally scholarship and is an important part of the Foundation Fellows Program.


BERNARD RAMSEY

Bernard Ramsey's $20 million gift to The University of Georgia in 1993 continued a long history of support for his alma mater by this illustrious alumnus. A 1937 graduate of UGA's Terry College of Business, Ramsey retired in 1973 as senior vice president and chairman of the executive committee of Merrill Lynch & Co., the nation's largest brokerage firm.

A Macon native, Ramsey joined Merrill Lynch in 1945 as a salesman. When he retired, he was head of the ruling body that sets direction and policy for the company's board of directors. He was on the board of U.S. Life Corp. and served as a trustee of The University of Georgia Foundation. He served in the U.S. Air Force during World War II.

As a UGA student, Ramsey was business manager of the Pandora, treasurer of Delta Sigma Pi, secretary of the Economics Society, and treasurer and president of Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. He was a cadet colonel and student commander of Army ROTC and was elected both to Gridiron and to Scabbard and Blade.

Ramsey previously gave the Terry College of Business one million dollars to establish the Bernard B. Ramsey Chair of Private Enterprise and create the Bernard B. Ramsey and Eugenia A. Ramsey Center for Private Enterprise. His other gifts include support for the Butts-Mehre building, the Fred Davison Chair of Veterinary Medicine, the University Womens Club and the Alpha Tau Omega Centennial Fund.

In 1966, he received the College of Business Administration Distinguished Alumnus Award, and in 1988 received the UGA Alumni Merit Award.


UGA FOUNDATION TRUSTEES

This is a scholarship established on the initiative of the University of Georgia Foundation trustees' Foundation Fellows Committee, and made possible by trustees who choose to designate their gifts to the Foundation Fellowship Program.