DO YOU NEED TO BUY AN APPLIANCE SERVICE CONTRACT?
HERE'S WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Do your homework BEFORE buying a service contract for your major appliance.
Understand the "Terms and Conditions" of the contract, especially its
Be sure you know:
- the reputation of the selling agent;
- if you must use a certain servicing organization;
- if the agreement contains a service repair cost "deductible"
- if you must get second opinions or price estimates before repair;
- if you can renew annually and what the cost is to do so;
- any repair NOT covered such as plastic non-functional parts, decorative
trim, glass, rust and corrosion, insect infestation, and installation, wiring or
- if you have to take the appliance to the repair shop (versus being
repaired in your home);
- if the agent is responsible for a repair when the necessary part is no
- if you will be reimbursed for consequential damage such as clothing or
food loss resulting from freezer failure.
Asking the right questions BEFORE PURCHASING will prevent unwelcome
1111 19th St., NW
Washington, DC 20036
Please read our