All forums
 We all have issues
 Rumor of Louis/Dressner Buyout
 New topic  Reply to topic

Author Topic  
Joe Dressner

France
1427 Posts
Posted - 06/07/2004 :  21:53:40  Show profile  Visit Joe Dressner's home page  Reply with Quote
I have received many e-mails in the past few days regarding a rumor that appeared on one of the many internet wine boards reporting that Fran Kysela's company is about to buy out Louis/Dressner Selections.

I am afraid that I am not in a position to confirm or deny the rumor. But I will assure all of you who have heard this rumor that we will will continue to bring in the same fine quality of wines you have grown accustomed to, even if there is a change in corporate ownership.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Edited by - Joe Dressner on 06/07/2004 21:54:34

SFJoe

USA
1433 Posts
Posted - 06/07/2004 :  22:51:52  Show profile  Reply with quote
I'm sure there'll be more than one bidder.Go to top of page
skraft

Macao
299 Posts
Posted - 06/07/2004 :  22:56:27  Show profile  Reply with quote
The economy must be looking up! Is it true that Seaview Securities is representing LDM?

ScottGo to top of page

jblackwood

Saint Barthelemy
924 Posts
Posted - 06/07/2004 :  23:17:30  Show profile  Reply with quote
Makes sense to me. I've heard more than one person refer to Clos Roche Blanche as "the Shotfire Ridge of the Touraine."Go to top of page
Jeff Connell

Saint Pierre and Miquelon
987 Posts
Posted - 06/07/2004 :  23:32:03  Show profile  Reply with quote
I'm very skeptical of the press, but I read in the WSJ this morning that Fran Kysela had indeed purchased Louis/Dressner Selections in a leveraged buyout. Apparently several insiders at Louis/Dressner have been selling shares and unbeknownst to them, Kysela was the primary customer.

Go to top of page

Scott Wurcer

USA
301 Posts
Posted - 06/08/2004 :  07:34:32  Show profile  Reply with quote
Hmmmm. If you Google for 'kysela dressner' you get these same rumors from 2000. You can even relive the asylum archives reformated with their new forum sofware, isn't technology wonderful.

Go to top of page

maureen

USA
101 Posts
Posted - 06/09/2004 :  00:11:12  Show profile  Reply with quote
Hey, Joe, I know a high-powered NY M&A firm well-known for protecting targets from hostile takeovers. We can be hired cheaply (not!) Let me know if you need help!

Go to top of page

franklin

59 Posts
Posted - 06/09/2004 :  14:56:56  Show profile  Reply with quote
What's all this I hear about Kevin McKenna Imports? Is something rotten in Denmark? Pray tell.

franklinGo to top of page

Joe Dressner

France
1427 Posts
Posted - 06/17/2004 :  14:30:59  Show profile  Visit Joe Dressner's home page  Reply with quote
Just a note....

Currently, there is no truth to the rumor that our company has been bought. Furthermore, there is no truth to the rumor the company is for sale.

Frankly, I don't understand how these rumors start in the first place.Go to top of page

KevinO

Djibouti
426 Posts
Posted - 06/17/2004 :  15:37:23  Show profile  Visit KevinO's home page  Reply with quote
I don't understand either. None of the one's that I start ever get legs. I bet Coad knows.

KevinGo to top of page

Chris Coad

South Sandwich Islands
2454 Posts
Posted - 06/17/2004 :  16:29:46  Show profile  Visit Chris Coad's home page  Reply with quote
Oh I know all right.

Go to top of page

Joe Dressner

France
1427 Posts
Posted - 06/17/2004 :  16:44:41  Show profile  Visit Joe Dressner's home page  Reply with quote
Chris:

By the way, I thought many of your Oregon reviews were too favorable. I recently did a similar circuit and found many of the wines you liked to be too alcoholic and too big. They've had a series of hot years in Oregon and I don't think they are getting the finesse the better producers might like to get. Whether the soil supports Pinot is yet another question....Go to top of page

Chris Coad

South Sandwich Islands
2454 Posts
Posted - 06/17/2004 :  17:04:19  Show profile  Visit Chris Coad's home page  Reply with quote
You thought the '01 Belle Pente pinots were too alcoholic and too big?

You sure you're not thinking of the '02s? Much riper wines...

Go to top of page

Joe Dressner

France
1427 Posts
Posted - 06/17/2004 :  18:11:28  Show profile  Visit Joe Dressner's home page  Reply with quote
quote:
You thought the '01 Belle Pente pinots were too alcoholic and too big?

You sure you're not thinking of the '02s? Much riper wines...

I didn't taste Belle Pente. The only wine I have ever had from this winery was the Rosé you brought to Brad's house. We agreed it had too much sulphur, but hopefully it was just a bad bottle.

I did taste Pinot's from Hammacher, Penner-Ash and Andrew Rich. I even know Andrew Rich and like him a great deal. But since 1999 they've had a run of hot years (with 2001 being an exception) and the Pinots are simply too big and clumsly for me. Pinot wasn't meant for such climates, year-after-year.

Edited by - Joe Dressner on 06/17/2004 18:12:50Go to top of page

Chris Coad

South Sandwich Islands
2454 Posts
Posted - 06/17/2004 :  18:26:39  Show profile  Visit Chris Coad's home page  Reply with quote
Yeah, that rosé was well-nigh sulfured to death. Shame, as the bottle we had earlier was fruit-juicy and fun.

I wasn't thrilled with the Penner-Ash or the Andrew Rich pinots that I tried, but more out of a lack of character than any perceived overblown qualities. But of course, I mind big, blowsy wines much less than you do.

I'm sure you're right about the finesse problems in the recent warm vintages, but I came in expecting very little and found at least a few well-balanced pinots with guts and personality.

Go to top of page

Joe Dressner

France
1427 Posts
Posted - 06/18/2004 :  08:43:12  Show profile  Visit Joe Dressner's home page  Reply with quote
quote:
I'm sure you're right about the finesse problems in the recent warm vintages, but I came in expecting very little and found at least a few well-balanced pinots with guts and personality.

It would be interesting for you to taste the same wines you found had guts and personality in Brad Kane's apartment rather than at the winery. I found the folks I met in Oregon to be extremely pleasant and I wanted to like their wines. These sort of subjective pulls often play a critical role when evaluating wine at the winery. It takes time and practice to be able to distinguish between the quality of the wine and the quality of the people who made the wine.

I heard a rumor last night that Fran Kysela was buying the Willamette Valley. Has anyone heard anything concrete about this startling development or is this just another unfounded rumor?

Edited by - Joe Dressner on 06/18/2004 08:46:15Go to top of page

KevinO

Djibouti
426 Posts
Posted - 06/18/2004 :  09:34:20  Show profile  Visit KevinO's home page  Reply with quote
I told someone that I saw Fran tipping William the valet. It just shows how these things get going and my first successful effort at rumour mongering.

KevinGo to top of page

Chris Coad

South Sandwich Islands
2454 Posts
Posted - 06/18/2004 :  14:03:32  Show profile  Visit Chris Coad's home page  Reply with quote
quote:
It takes time and practice to be able to distinguish between the quality of the wine and the quality of the people who made the wine.

No! Really?

I guess I'll have to rethink all my rave reviews of Flowers pinots, then.

Or perhaps you're just implying that everything tastes worse in Brad's apartment?

Sorry, can't talk, gotta go run and work on this new idea of dissociating MAN from WINE (whooda thunk it?)!

Go to top of page

Joe Dressner

France
1427 Posts
Posted - 06/18/2004 :  14:36:23  Show profile  Visit Joe Dressner's home page  Reply with quote
I suspect that I taste with winemakers more frequently than you do. It is common enough to love a wine for reasons other than what is in the bottle when tasting in someone's cellar -- you like the winemaker, their lover, the cellar, the vineyards, the region, their shirty, you're destressed and on vacation, you're in a good mood, etc. Take that same bottle out of that context and the wine might not have the same qualities that were initially seductive. Of course, one needs to taste wine under both circumstances and this is not an argument for tasting under clinical circumstances, but it is an argument for making tentative judgements when on site.

I found the Hammacher and Penner-Ash pinots to be harsh and uncharming. I believe you would agree with me if you tasted them at Brad Kane's apartment with no prior knowledge of the estates.Go to top of page

Chris Coad

South Sandwich Islands
2454 Posts
Posted - 06/18/2004 :  15:30:01  Show profile  Visit Chris Coad's home page  Reply with quote
quote:
I suspect that I taste with winemakers more frequently than you do.

Hey, no fair pulling rank on poor non-ITB know-nothings!

Big bully.

quote:
I found the Hammacher and Penner-Ash pinots to be harsh and uncharming. I believe you would agree with me if you tasted them at Brad Kane's apartment with no prior knowledge of the estates.

Again with Kane's apartment? I'm putting "Don't taste wine in Kane's apartment" down in my notebook right next to "Don't taste near the seashore..."

I might agree with you, and I might not. Always keep in mind: I like Turley zins.

Anyway, I found the Penner-Ash and Hammacher wines to be mostly rather generic and characterless. Perhaps I sensed that those guys weren't very nice people?

Interesting notion, I must admit.

The point about context is always a good one, but if anything would work the other way. I generally don't like going to wineries, can't stand trade tastings, hate having to squirm to think of something nice to say when nothing is coming to mind. So what would give you the impression that I "liked" Brian O'Donnell or had any stake in whether or not his wines were any good?

Go to top of page

Zul

Borneo
1596 Posts
Posted - 06/18/2004 :  16:10:47  Show profile  Reply with quote
quote:
Big bully.

Hmmm... it's summer time in the Big Apple and I begin smelling a certain Brian-Loring-thread perfume.
Which is not to say I would like to taste
Burgundy Pinot Noir - let alone Oregon's - chez Kane.

quote:
It is common enough to love a wine for reasons other than what is in the bottle when tasting in someone's cellar -- you like the winemaker, their lover, the cellar, the vineyards, the region, their shirty, you're destressed and on vacation, you're in a good mood, etc. Take that same bottle out of that context and the wine might not have the same qualities that were initially seductive

it's a fine line bewteen talkin' darwinistic and talkin' friendly to a winemaker these days. I ususally try to speak up my mind in a corteous way (Italy-wise), trying to provide the winemaker with the instruments and notions apt to shape a wider persepctive on worldwide wine production and foreign standards of what fine wine is, but when I sense the terrain is no good, I say to myself "Time is a gentleman, so is evolutionism".Go to top of page

New topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:

Wine therapy © Robert Callahan Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000