Tuesday, June 29 Map        Profile        Print        Bookmark        Français        Contact us
 Borough Presentation
 Côte St-Luc Area
 Hampstead Area
 Montreal West Area
 Socio-economic profile
 Street Map of the Borough
 Democratic Life
 Borough Office
 Leisure, Sports and Culture
 Public Safety and EMS
 Urban Planning
 Business Services
 Public Works
 What's new
 FAQ

Recycling Information

Library Website

SARS Info

West Nile Virus Info
 
Montreal West Area

Montreal West Area Montreal West sector is a small residential community bordering on the western edge of the former City of Montréal.

The population is made up of an English-speaking majority and many families have lived in the sector for several generations. The residential streets are lined with mature trees and the large single-family homes which are predominantly brick construction also found in the Notre-Dame-de-Grâce district and parts of Westmount.

Westminster Avenue is the main shopping street and the community prides itself on its active sports and recreation programs.

A Town Within the City

One of Montreal’s best kept secrets, the community of Montreal West is an ideal place to work, live and play. Located halfway between downtown and Dorval airport, Montreal West offers business people and residents alike the best of both worlds – small town quality of life and big city convenience. It’s a quick commute to the city centre by train, bus or via a number of main thoroughfares as well as Route 20. No Community typifies the saying “Small is beautiful” better than Montreal West where the quality schools, pre-schools, churches, libraries, shopping and recreational facilities are all within walking distance. Predominately single family dwellings, which has verdant parks, well equipped playgrounds, and swimming pool, an arena, curling and tennis clubs, a golf course nearby, popular summer camps for children, horticultural, bridge, travel and Rotary clubs serve every age group and fancy. This century-old garden community, with its quiet tree-lined streets, elegant architecture and numerous facilities, features exceptional family living, highly valued by a loyal population of over 5,000 citizens.

History of Montreal West

The earliest name in connection with this area is that of Decarie who settled the land which is known as Notre Dame de Grace in 1653. During the War of 1812, in 1813 an American Army, with the invasion of Montreal as its objective, was repulsed at the Battle of Chateauguay. In preparation for the possible invasion the high ground near Avon Road was fortified. A lookout post was built on what is now Easton Avenue and trenches were dug between Campbell and Wolseley Avenues.

The Grand Trunk Railway tracks were laid in 1855 at the south edge of town while the Canadian Pacific Railway’ tracks went in in 1886. The installation of the CPR track split the original Montreal West location of the Blue Bonnets race track in two and forced it to move to the north east, near its present location. The present CPR station was built in 1905 and is located just east of the limits in Montreal West.

In 1893 a sewage system and electric light plant was installed but only a few houses could be served as the houses were spaced so far apart. The Town of Montreal West was incorporated in 1897 and consisted of an area of about 400 acres which was the case until the merger. At that time there were 50 houses in the Town with a population of 350 persons.

The Town Hall building was built in 1910 on the site of a tavern known as the “Halfway House” as this stagecoach stop was located approximately halfway between the Port of Montreal and the Lachine wharf. When it opened, the Town Hall building contained a billiard room, a bowling lane, as well as community meeting rooms.

Montreal West’s first school, Aberdeen Model School was built in 1894. This school was rebuilt in 1931 as Montreal West High School which later became Royal West Academy. There are elementary schools, Elizabeth Ballantyne School was built in 1921 and Edinburgh School was constructed in 1959.

During World War II the population of the Town was 3,474 persons. In 1945 the Honour Roll listed 549 names or 1/6 of the population of Montreal West had volunteered for active service. Possibly a record for the British Empire.

In 1997, as a Centennial Project to celebrate the Town’s 100th Birthday, various volunteers from the community purchased and restored the CPR Block Tower at the Westminster Railway Crossing. Today part of the tower houses a museum which depicts the many aspects of community life in Montreal West over the years. For further information on the museum please call 481-8125.

Montreal West today has a population of about 5,300 persons and is part of the Borough of Cote St-Luc, Hampstead, Montreal West.



© 2001-2004 All rights reserved
Arrondissement de Côte Saint-Luc / Hampstead / Montréal-Ouest
Tel. : 514-485-6800 Fax : 514-485-6963
EMail : arrondissementchm@ville.montreal.qc.ca
June 25, 2004
The Latest Borough Sports News

June 10, 2004
Celebrate the world Olympic Torch Relay

June 7, 2004
Côte Saint-Luc-Hampstead-Montreal West Borough prepares for Rick Hansen Wheels in Motion Event, Sunday June 13, 2004

June 2, 2004
Tons of Activities in the Borough this June

May 18, 2004
Borough Tour 2004 on May 26 - Cycling Edition

more

Council Minutes
May 3
April 8
March 3
Previous meetings
Borough Bulletins
Spring '04
Winter '03
Fall '03
Previous Bulletins
Brochures
Borough Guide 2004
Recreation Brochure Spring and Summer 2004
Forms
Summer Employment Registration Form

Arrondissements