Re: 4th Earl of Ferrers, Laurence Shirley,

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Glenn D Shirley on July 28, 2000 at 07:58:07:

In Reply to: 4th Earl of Ferrers, Laurence Shirley, posted by John Bazlinton on June 18, 2000 at 07:49:43:

: According to family tradition (my Grandfather John Shirley Brooks Bazlinton)Laurence Shirley was imprisoned in the Tower of London before his execution. His cousin Selina Shirley, Countess of Huntingdon, an ardent Evangelical, in order to help prepare his soul made sure that he was not allowed his playing cards. Apparently in deference to his birth and staus his landau was drawn by six white horses to Tyburn - and he was hanged with a silken rope.

: No doubt the Ferrars Family would confirm or otherwise.

I am not really into geneology, but I do occassionally skim through this site to see if I see anything familiar (literally). The subject of Earl of Ferrers caught my attention. I have some family papers from my grandfather the late Joseph Whitney Shirley of Baltimore Maryland. A very old typrwritten paper by Elliott O'Donnell author of "Rooms of Mystery, Ghosts of London" goes into the history of the Shirley family's connections to Chartley in England and the legend of the white cattle and how they fortold many tragic events in the Shirley family, including "Lawrence, Earl Ferrers, who perished so ignominiously at Tyburn." If you are interested I can try yo get a copy of this paper to you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]