E B Bishop worked as a distiller in London for 21 years before emigrating to Canterbury in 1850 on the "Charlotte Jane" with his wife, two sisters and younger brother Frederick Augustus Bishop. He and his brother owned 100 acres on the Heathcote River.
He was a prominent member of the Farmers Club and the Canterbury A&P Association, and was involved with the Canterbury Rifle Volunteers. In 1864 he and his brother went into partnership as wine and spirit merchants. He was Mayor of Christchurch 1872-1873.
These papers consist of correspondence and printed material belonging to E B Bishop, F A Bishop (1818-1894) and F A Bishop's son, Frederick Charles Brenchley Bishop (1863-1923).
There are also invitations, programmes, orders of service and Anglican Church reports. Some material refers to the 50th Jubilee Celebrations in Canterbury 1900, to the 1908 Jubilee Exhibition and to the 1906 New Zealand International Exhibition.