Info from someone in Ozark, AL

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Virginia S on January 16, 2002 at 16:27:56:

.my ancestor was Sarah Jane Barrentine, supposedly the result of a rape upon her mother, Luanza Keels, by an unknown "Indian" per all family stories I have heard since a child. Of course, the stories are stories and no proof...anyway, Luanza married James H. Barrentine and had 2 sons, John Wesley and James Henry.this info I have gleaned only from census info......in the 1880 Henry Co.,AL census, my Luanza is listed as "LUCINZA BARNTINE"............near or /next door to her is J.C.Barntine, age 28, with wife, Delila, age48, with son, James D. age 6, with MOTHER-In-LAW, ELIZABETH SHERLEY, age 78 also listed in household.........of course you probably already knew of her.....I suspect that the J.C. Barntine is a brother of my James H., possibly sons of William Barrentine and wife, Susan A..........ol' Susan A. is also listed as living in the household as a 70 year old "mother-in-law of Lucinza/Luanza Barntine.....
In the 1870 Henry Co Al census, my Sarah Bateman,family 154, is listed with Lou A.(Luanza/Lucinza), age 23, with Sarah A(?)(J?), age 8,(my ancestor ), with Henry age 2, West/Webb age 5 with a John Money age 23 also listed in the household..........right next door family #153 is William Barentine, age 62 with wife ,Susan, age 59 and son, Jacob, age 20..........
I have not been able to prove that James H., J.C. & Jacob are brothers , but I'd bet 50 bucks that they are......
Now, to the cemetary ......I am not sure, it could possibly be County Line Church.....I will be checking on this......might even run up there and see......but I don't recall seeing amything with the "Barntine" cemetary name on it..ever, I wish I could find something.......even if the family stories are correct and my Sarah Jane is not the child of James H. Barrentine, I would love to find out about Luanza and James.....I believe he must have been dead by the 1870 census as I have not found him ........I look forward to sharing what little I have with you and maybe we can help each other out......my daddy lives with us now since his 2 strokes & heart attack , so I don;t get to go "family hunting" any more...I sure do miss it.....and I need to get back to it.......talk with you soon......

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]