Shirley's in Texas History books

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tina Tirrell on September 08, 2002 at 19:06:07:

I found the following Shirley's in a Texas History Book. "Deaf Smith County - Pioneers", by Bessie Patterson.
Page 115, Douglas A. Shirley, who came to Hereford from Melissa, Texas. He taught at the Panhandle Christian College. He moved to Canyon, Texas in 1912. Does not give wife's name. They had two children, a son living in Amarillo, Texas, and a daughter living in Ogden, Utah. There is a picture of him included with the bio.
Page 116
Also a T. E. Shirley, who came to Texas becuase of health reasons in 1906. He became a rancher and stock farmer at Hereford,Texas. They had three children, two daughters and a son.
Thornton Edgar Shirley was born in Kentucky on 17 July 1849; the youngest of 17 children. He came to Texas as a small boy with his father. His father brought a large number of slaves with them. T. E. Shirley married Virginia Harriet Bean in Grayson County, Texas.
He died in Phoenix, AZ in 1937.

Robert Clinton Shirley, born in Marysville, Texas 22 Apr 1872 to Joseph Jonathan Shirley and Catharine {Clinton} Shirley. He married Jeanette Bullington 2 Aug 1899 in Dexter, Kansas. He died 3 Mar 1910. He and his wife were buried at the Confederate Cemetery in Alvin. They had two children, a daughter and a son. He was a Methodist Preacher in Alvin.

I did not write down the name of the History book on Robert Clinton Shirley. I will have to go back to the library and get it. I do not know if they are related to me or any one with the association. It was interesting reading and I figure they are related to some of you on the Association page.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]