Sarah Shirley, d/o Richard, Barren Co KY, m. John Read

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Natalie McClendon on November 11, 2002 at 13:43:02:

Looking for any information about the family of John Read, who married Sarah Shirley in 1838 in Barren Co,KY. Sarah was the d/o Richard Shirley & Nancy Green, according to this website. A John Read lives next door to Thomas Shirley (jr.) in the 1810 census Barren Co, KY. This John Read was b. 1765-1784 and had one boy and one girl under 10 years of age. In 1850 Barren Co census a John Read (b. 1798 VA) with wife Sarah (b. 1811 KY) lived near James Shirley (b. 1804) and wife Polly (b. 1806). It's likely these two John Reads are father and son.

Ultimately, I am looking for information on a Pheby E. Read, whose mother's name was Delphia Read, and was related to a John Read (possibly his sister). Pheby Read married (or common-law marrige) John L. Combs, who, in 1836, fled Barren Co after being convicted on a murder charge. Pheby and at least 2 teenage children went with Combs. But I notice that in Richard Shirley's will, 1844 (John Read's father in law) there is a William Combs mentioned as living with the family. In the 1850 census, William Combs lives next door to James Shirley and wife Polly, and a few doors from John Read and Sarah Shirley. There is also a John Combs who lives with John Shirley and Wife Mary (s/o Thomas Shirley Jr.). William and John Combs are the right age to be younger children of John L. Combs & Pheby Read. Perhaps when they went on the lam, they left their younger children with relatives.

To summarize:
John Read b. 1765-1784
possible wife: Delphia
d/o Delphia: Pheby E. Read (b.1805 VA), wife of John L. combs (I have proof of the relationship of these three)
possible s/o John & Delphia: John Read (b. 1798 VA), hus. of Sarah Shirley
possibly children of Pheby & John Combs: William & John Combs who lived with the Shirleys
and I haven't mentioned yet:
possible d/o John & Delphia: Sophia Read (b. 1807 VA), wife of Henry Shirley

Except for the proof mentioned above, all this is circumstancial. Any help proving these relationships would be appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]