Re: does any one know the last name MCshurley

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sam Shirley on July 10, 2003 at 21:33:35:

In Reply to: does any one know the last name MCshurley posted by KELLY SHIRLEY on May 12, 2003 at 18:01:54:

: I talked to my uncle and he said that our last name actualy started out as MCshurley when they started the thown of shurley arkansas they coundnt fit all of the letters on the sign and they took the mc and u of and added an i wich changed it to shirley if it wasnt for that our name would still be MCshurley. although i found that out we still dont know who our family is we do know that they founded shirley Arkansas but after that there is time and people missing if any one knows any thing can they please help us.

: kelly shirley
Kelly, perhaps you should go to the Clark county georgia page of this website. The ancestor your uncle spoke of might be listed here. Alexander Henry Shirley worked for the railroad and was a foreman. because the steam engines required wood and water every so often depots were sometimes constructed where no town currently existed. when one such depot was completed Alexander was instructed to name it. He decided to name it after himself. because any place the train would stop was a good place to do business the town sprang up. after living near little rock for some time alexander returned to montgomery alabama where he was from. I am not familiar with the name mcshurley, but alexanders grandfather was william. I have found his name listed as both shirley and shurley. What was your uncles name? who is the earliest ancestor you know of and where are they from? If this is your family line I have some good info for you (Alexander is my gg-grandfather). I also have some e-mail addresses for the newspaper and local historians in Shirley Arkansas------Sam Shirley

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]