Will of Nathan Shirley, Paulding County, Ohio

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Denise Bleichrodt-Fox on May 02, 1999 at 20:28:38:

Will of Nathan Shirley:
On this the thirtieth day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy one came (illegible) Most and filed in this office of the Probate Judge of said County of Paulding a certain envelope, purporting to be the Last Will and Testament of Nathan Shirley, late of Auglaize Township in Said County deceased. And afterward to wit At a Probate Court begun and held at the Court House in the town of Paulding, Paulding County and state of Ohio. On this the first day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one, by and before David C. Carey, Judge of said Probate Court. The following proceedings were had in the matter of the Last Will and Testament of Nathan Shirley, late of said County of Paulding in the state of Ohio, was this day presented to the court for Probate and H. S. Humphrey, Henry Daniel and Lewis S. Gordon, the subscribing witnesses to said will coming personally before the Court were duly sworn and examined according to law and this testimony reduced to writing and filed. And the Court being satisfied from said testimony that said will was duly executed and attested, that the testator at the time of executing the same was of full age, of sound mind and memory and under no undue or unlawful restraint, it is ordered that said will be admitted to probate, and that the testimony taken together with said will be admitted to probate and recorded to the provisions of the statute made and provided. And said is in the words and figures following to wit:

I Nathan Shirley, of the village of Junction, in the county of Paulding and state of Ohio, do hereby make and (illegible) this my last Will and Testament;

Item 1st. It is my will that all of my just debts be paid out of my personal estate.

Item 2nd. I give and devise to my beloved wife, Ann P. Shirley, in lieu of all (illegible) interest in my estate, the following property, real and personal, viz. The home I am now building in Junction, and the lot on which the said is located, for and during the time of her natural life; the interest that may accrue on five promissary notes given sons by Nancy M. Dils and Andrew Dils, Each amounting to five hundred and ninety-five dollars and each dated July twenty-sixth, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy. It is my will that my said wife receive annually the interest that may become due upon said notes, Further, it is my will, that my said wife receive, during her natural life, one third of the rents and proceeds of my farm of one hundred and eighty acres, situated in Sections seven, eight, seventeen and eighteen, in Township number one (1) north of Range number five (5), east, in Putnam County, state of Ohio, and that my son, John W. Shirley, shall attend to the collecting and delivering to my said wife her said third interest in the rents and profits of said farm. My said wife shall suitably (illegible) (illegible) rate him for said service.

Item 3rd. It is my further will, that at the death of my said wife, my executors him after named shall pay to my Grandchildren Nathan Shirley Dils, and Nathan Shirley, son of Phillip Shirley, the sum of One hundred dollars to each.

Item 4th. It is my further will that at the death of my said wife, that all of my property, both real and personal, shall go to my heirs, in equal amounts, share and share alike.

Item 5th. At the death of my said wife, it is my will, that my son, Stephan Shirley, shall receive the sum of Three hundred and fifty dollars in cash out of my estate, and that he shall receive an equal share of my estate with the rest of my heirs, after said (illegible) is paid. I hereby appoint my sons, John W. Shirley and Stephen M. Shirley, Executors of this my last will and testament, and authorize them to sell and dispose of my sufficient property (after the death of my wife), to pay the cash bequeaths herein stipulated. I hereby revoke all former wills by me made. On witness whereof I have here (illegible) set my hand and seal, this twenty-sixth day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one. Nathan Shirley (seal) Signed by the said testator, Nathan Shirley (mark).

Witnesses: H. S. Humphrey, Henry Daniel, Lewis S. Gordon

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]