Re: Thomas Shirley branch #39 SnowHill, TN

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JIM SHIRLEY on July 15, 2003 at 16:55:36:

In Reply to: Re: Thomas Shirley branch #39 SnowHill, TN posted by Carol Baker on December 19, 2001 at 17:03:40:

: : : I am the great-great-great granddaughter of Thomas Shirley buried in the Shirley cemetary in SnowHill, TN. I am curious if anyone can give me a description of the Shirley Plantation (in the Hamiliton Co. Tn area) that burned down not to long after the Civil War. This was the property that was reclaimed after a supreme court battle (I have the original documents) from a northerner Mr. Monger. I have recently acquired documents and some photos from this era. I have a strong desire to know what this Plantation looked like. My father was William L. Shirley, his father was James Brown Shirley, his father Thomas Jr. Thanks for any help!

: : You and I need to exchange data. I have researched Thomas Sr. and Thomas Jr. and would be happy to exchange info with you. The Shirley plantation lay in a beautiful valley East of the Tennessee River and between the river and White Oak Mountain. The land is low, rolling hills with good drainage. Two creeks flowed through the property, Long Savannah Creek and Ooltewah Creek. The Shirley cemetery is located on the bank of Long Savannah Creek. It is well kept and easily reached. I have a copy of an 1835 map showing the location of the Shirley lands. There is an overlook on I-75 going South just as the interstate begins a descent down into the valley. It provides a grand vista of the countryside.

: Hello, I think I'm part of your branch. I'm descended from Cordelia Shirley Cate, through her only son George Oliver Cate Jr. Cordelia died not long after her son was born, and I believe is buried in the Shirley Cemetery. Would like to exchange info with you on the Shirley family and where they lived in Tennessee.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]