Re: Thaddeus & Elizabeth Shirley

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ray Shirley on August 17, 1999 at 17:30:06:

In Reply to: Thaddeus & Elizabeth Shirley posted by Wanda Delton Glass on August 15, 1999 at 07:18:58:

: Thaddeus is my gggg-grandfather. His daughter Nancy (Quick) is my ggg-grandmother. Nancy's son Jacob Clawson Quick is my gg-grandfather. Jacob moved to Texas in 1854. He fought in the War Between the States in Hood's Brigade and survived. Thaddeus and Elizabeth lived in York CO, SC and had seven children in addition to Nancy. They were Meredith (son) Philemon (son) Ruth Shirley-Wright, Elizabeth Shirley-Wherry, Frances Shirley-Perry, James and Eli Clawson. Do you have any info as to who Thaddeus' father was? Would be glad to trade info on my Texas line. Also, does anyone have connection w/ Shirleys-Anne Hill Carter-Lee (Robert E. Lee's mother)? She was born on the Shirley Plantation in VA. Any help would be greatly appreciated. WandaFromAustin@webtv.net.

As far as I know, there isn't any genealogical connection between the Shirley line and Anne Hill. There is a Shirley plantation on the James River Road near the James River in Virginia. The land was patented as West and Sherley Hundred by Governor Thomas West (also known as Lord Delaware) in 1613. It was named for Governor West and his wife, the former Cessayly Sherley.
By 1655, the plantation was owned by Colonel Edward Hill, and it has remained in the Hill-Carter family since the marriage of Elizabeth Hill to John Carter in 1723. I have not seen any documentation showing Cessayly (Sherley) West to be related to the Hills or the Carters. However, her portrait hangs in the plantation house.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]