Re: Shelby Co, AL's Nipper C. SHIRLEY

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Reeves HODGENS on November 27, 1999 at 14:39:05:

In Reply to: Shelby Co, AL's Nipper C. SHIRLEY posted by Richard Reeves HODGENS on November 17, 1999 at 14:16:22:

I got Betty's reply and it sure seems to 'fit':
~~~
Ok.... I I leaped to a conclusion because of the name running in this branch of the Shirleys. You MUST descend from John and Eliz. Barmore Shirley. That is the branch the name Nipper tends to appear in several times. You did not mention any dates.
Go to: http://www.shirleyAssociation.com/john_shirley.htm

This is the branch I think you will be from. Scroll to child #4. Nipper 1772 who m. Jane Cheeves. They had a son John Nipper 1796 m. Sarah Weldon. They had 7 children. One of their sons was Nipper Cheeves born about 1838.

I went to my census book to see who is living in Shelby Co. AL. In the 1880 I have William Shirley born about 1835 SC. He appears in the 1850 census of Franklin Co. GA. William is one of the sons of John Nipper and would be a brother of Nipper Cheeves who you say lived in Shelby Co. also. In 1900 census of Shelby Co. AL I show... as head of household, James H. Shirley June 1858 and Elonzo D.W. Shirley Dec 1865 AL.
~~~
Just to update the dates I have, here goes:
My father, Floyd Watson HODGENS b. 29 Nov 1913-d. 3 Jun 1983 and is buried at Eden-New Hope Cem,Pell City,St Clair Co,AL
> Sarah Elizabeth SHIRLEY was b 30 Mar 1876-d 23 Jan 1960 [buried at Pleasant Valley Cem,near Chelsea,Shelby Co,AL]
> > Nipper Cheeves SHIRLEY was b abt 1840 near Royston, GA and is also buried at Pleasant Valley Cem
> > > John Nipper SHIRLEY b. abt 1796-d. 09 Jul 1886 near Royston
> > > > Nipper SHIRLEY b. abt 1772 and is shown on your John_Shirley page as #4, just as you said.

Soon, I hope to get back to Pleasant Valley Cem and get some pics of the headstones there.

Happy Holidays, Everyone!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]