Alberta Shirley;B. 1883 -85 England to Walter & Mary - Detroit, Michigan

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joanne Gould on August 24, 2000 at 11:07:01:

Any information about Alberta (Bertha), Walter, or Mary Shirley would be very much appreciated. I know Alberta was born approximately 1884 (83 or 85?)to Walter & Mary Shirley. Alberta came to USA in 1900 and was in Detroit, Michigan working as a servant for the Emmanuel Berger (attorney) family in 1908 - 1913. She had a child out of wedlock in 1908 which she gave up for adoption and is my Mother (93 years of age). I am wondering if there were any other children of Alberta or if she had siblings that my have stayed in England or came to the USA. Some information was obtained from the Michigan Census of 1910 which stated she came from England in 1900. Also, the Detroit Directory lists her as a domestic servant of the Berger Family. There is no trace of her after 1913. Her name appears as Bertha 2 times in the Detroit Directory. The father of Alberta's child name was Jordon Tuisse or Twisse - spelling is difficult to read and he was a tailor from Canada and 24 years old in 1908. Because of the area Alberta lived, she could have married or moved to Canada, Ohio, Indiana or many places in Michigan. Would love to hear from anyone that can nudge me in the right direction to continue this search. I looked thru England Registry of Births for the year 1884 and nothing matched exactly. I did find an Albert born in 1884. I have no idea if her parents came to USA with her. I do know her father, Walter, died at age 53 due to inflamation of the lungs and her mother, Mary, died at age of 43 from a tumor but have no idea what year this was or if it was in England or USA. The information about Alberta's parents was supplied by the Adoption Agency many years later when we inquired for family health history information. Thank you for any help.
Joanne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Shirley Ancestor Registration ] [ FAQ ]