The area was originally part of Scoresby North and settlement began in the 1860s. Many settlers were German. A school was opened in 1874 in a building provided by the Lutheran Congregation. A State primary school was opened five years later.
Some distance to the west at The Basin, James John Miller, bookmaker and publisher, had a substantial property named Bayswater House, in recognition of his birthplace. The name Bayswater was given to the school in 1890. When the railway line to Upper Ferntree Gully was opened in 1889 the station at Bayswater was named Macauley because that was the name of the post office. It was however superseded by Bayswater in 1894. The station was one of four from Ringwood to Upper Ferntree Gully. Today there are eight stations.
By the turn of the century the German community had diminished, The Anglican church (1908) acquired the Lutheran chapel, and a Methodist church had opened in 1893. Social facilities included a public hall, sports ground and tennis courts. The Bayswater district had several orchards and other agricultural holdings, and a populations of nearly 900 at the 1911 census. During the years leading up to the second world war Bayswater acquired a police station, a baby health centre and a shopping centre with a few storekeepers, a butcher, baker, wine saloon and a motor garage. It was patronised by orchardists, poultry keepers and nurserymen.
Postwar growth was strongly signalled when Dunlop Rubber established a factory in Bayswater North in 1952 for making aviation products. Nearby British Nylon Spinners built its factory in 19 . . . There is a substantial shopping centre near the railway station. Eastwards is housing, with three primary schools to cater for the children of later postwar families. The secondary college is in the north of the suburb, within walking distance of the railway station.
As well as large manufacturing plants, Bayswater has numerous smaller
Coulson, Helen, "Story of the Dandenongs, 1838-1958", p. 192-98, F.W. Cheshire, 1968.
Webpage designed and maintained by the Webmaestros at the NCAS Multimedia.
For more information on the Webmaestros, contact Dorota Roslaniec or Joanne Jacobs