Until the 1950s, Schaumburg Township remained a
rural farming community. The Schaumburg Township population was
1,080 in 1950, and Elgin was the major economic center.
In 1952, Township residents voted to establish Community
Consolidated School District 54 and to become part of the
Palatine High School District 211, since there was no high
school. In January of 1954, the new Schaumburg School opened
with an enrollment of 87 and a faculty of three.
proved to be the landmark in Township history. A local farmer
sold his 160-acre farm to Sam and Jack Hoffman, owners of the
Father and Son Construction Company, for a subdivision in Cook
County. The land, now known as Parcel A, was located east of
Roselle Road between Golf and Higgins Roads. The first
homeowners began to move into the new subdivision in late 1955.
The homes were built on half-acre lots and sold for $14,500.
Down payments were as little as $700, and the interest rate was
4-1/2%. On September 19, 1959, residents voted to incorporate as
the Village of Hoffman Estates. The charter was issued on
September 23, 1959. The population at the time was about 8,000,
and the incorporated area was just under three square miles.
Beginning in 1961, the first land north of the tollway was
annexed to the Village of Hoffman Estates. Some 2,000 acres were
annexed by 1962, including the areas that are now Winston
Knolls, Westbury and the Paul Douglas Forest Preserve. The
annexations more than doubled the incorporated land area.
Various small office buildings were built by
1980, followed by major complexes such as Northwest Corporate
Centre, Barrington Pointe, Greenspoint, and Siemens Gammasonics.
Ameritech’s 1.2 million square foot regional headquarters opened
in 1991. The Sears, Roebuck and Co. moved into a 1.9 million
square foot headquarters in 1992. The Prairie Stone Business
Park has some 800 acres slated for office, research and
high-tech industrial uses. Hoffman Estates welcomed two new
developments in 1995, Quest International and Indramat.
A volunteer fire department was formed in December, 1956, with
each homeowner contributing $25 toward the purchase of a small
pumper. The homeowners also began a small public library in the
original Village Hall located on Illinois Boulevard. In the
1960s and 1970s, the Village continued to grow rapidly, with the
construction of both single- family homes and multi-family
developments. The population nearly tripled to 22,000 in 1970,
grew to 37,000 in 1980 and the 1990 census put the total
population at 46,363 with over 16,000 households.
Public facilities such as schools, fire stations
and library branches were built during this period to
accommodate the area's rapid growth. A Village Hall and Police
complex opened on Gannon Drive in 1972 and was the first
municipal building in Illinois to be constructed under the
guidelines for handicapped accessibility. The new U.S. Post
Office, also on Gannon Drive, opened in the fall of 1988. A new
Public Works Center opened in early 1990. Finally, the Village
Hall was relocated to a new facility in 1992.
The late 1980s and early 1990s saw a shift from
a primarily residential community with the development of
numerous commercial projects. Hoffman Estates Medical Center and
the Village's first auto dealership, Woodfield Acura, opened in
late 1986; the latter was soon followed by Saturn, Nissan, Lexus
and Land Rover. The Village's future growth is developing along
the western boundary with some 2,000 acres slated for office,
research, high-tech, industrial, and residential uses.
Today, the Village's estimated population tops
out at over 50,000, with a total incorporated land area of about
19 square miles. School District 54, which began with one
school in 1952, is now the largest elementary school district in
the State of Illinois (outside of the City of Chicago). Other
school districts serving Hoffman Estates residents include
Districts 46, 15, 211, U-46 and 300. Hoffman Estates High School
was named as one of the outstanding high schools in the state in
1987 and the Village of Hoffman Estates has won six Governor's
Home Town Awards for its innovative programs.