- Lionel Ghorra enters the
Jiita grotto for the first time. He only enters the first 40m.
- First Lebanese caving expedition into Jiita cave, the
team crosses the 2000m.
-1949-1951- Three caving expeditions within Jiita lead
the explorers from the 2000m to the 2800m mark.
- The Lebanese Caving Club is founded (Spéléo
Club du Liban SCL).
- 1954 - The terminal siphon of the Jiita underground
river is reached at 6200m. It is worth mentioning that the
last British-American expedition to the cave reached only
The first official caving intervention. A sinkhole was
discovered in the water retention tunnel within the Nahr el
Bered hydraulic station.
- SCL takes part in the first international caving meeting
in Paris (France).
- The tourism commissionership assigns one of the SCL
members to develop Jeita cave underground river for tourism
The first issue of Al Watwat (The
Bat, the SCL newsletter) is published.
Creation of the SCL Logo.
SCL actively takes part in the exploration of the
Berger sinkhole in France, which later turned out to be the
first sinkhole discovered in the 20th century whose length
exceeds 1000 m.
- Lebanese President Camille Chamoun inaugurates the tourist
section of the Jeita underground river in the presence of
- The Berger Gouffre team visit Lebanese caves.
On that occasion a film under the title Rivière
sans Etoiles (River without stars) is screened on Monday,
August 12 (color movie, awarded at the Cannes Film Festival)
under the patronage of Mr. Michel Touma, General Commissioner
- Official acknowledgement of the SCL, which was registered
since December 1951 (Min. Dec Nr. 90 of 17/1/57).
- SCL members discover the Upper Galleries
in Jeita Cave.
- Topographic surveying of the first 2000m within Jiita
(on behalf of the Beirut Water Office).
- Water flow measured at 14 points of the river between
the entrance and the terminal siphon (for the Beirut Water
- Double colouring of the Jiita river, the first at 2700m,
the second at 6200m, in order to detect any water loss from
the underground river.
- Colouring of the underwater river at Nabaa el
Mghara in order to detect any water loss.
- Surveying of Jeita cave up to 4600m (on behalf of the
Beirut Water Office).
- Surveying completed, until the terminal siphon in Jiita
(on behalf of the Beirut Water Office).
Exploration of the Fouar Dara sinkhole (-622 m).
- Study of the Upper Galeries in order to
dig a tunnel for touristic development purposes.
- SCL is state-approved as a club for public use (Decree
Nr 14262 on 28/11/63).
Detailed survey until the terminal siphon in Jiita
on behalf of the Beirut Water Office. This operation studied
a tunnel which leads to the terminal siphon to eventually
develop a way to harness the water (14 consecutive days underground).
- Coloring with 50 kg of fluorescein at the depth of 622
m of the minor Faouar Dara water course on behalf of the United
Nations Development Program.
- SCL becomes one of the founding members of the International
Caving Union founded during the 4th International Caving Congress.
The unanimously designated Secretary General was Albert Anavy,
an SCL member.
Joint Lebanese-French expedition into Jiita by
the SCL and Spéléo-Club Languedocien de Montpellier.
First underground diving operation with the collaboration
of the Lyon divers. The reached depth within the siphon was
Exploration of the Houet el Badaouie Chasm (first
long vertical descent of 164 m).
Beginning of the tunnel piercing process at the
Jiita Upper Galleries and development works for
the same area under the surveillance of an SCL member.
- Colouring with 50kg of fluorescein of the water in Fouar
Dara in May and exploration to its bottom with the British
"Yorkshire Rambler's Club" in August.
- February: discovery and exploration of Mgharet el Kassarat
- Follow up on the exploration of Mgharet el Kassarat
and discovery of an underground water source with the Yorkshire
Rambler's Club in August.
- Official opening of the Jiita Upper Galleries
for tourists under the patronage of President Charles Helou.
An electro-acoustic concert is organized by the National Tourism
Council and presented within the grotto under the direction
of the conductor Francois Bayle. On that occasion Mr. Bayle
composed a special piece he dedicated to the Jiita grotto,
which he called Jiita: the whispering waters.
Thus, for the first time in musical and caving history, music
is composed to honor the sound resonance in a caves
space. A CD with the music was marketed in international music
- SCL is awarded the Cedar Medal (Nr 512 on the 24/2/69).
- Flow measurements and colouring of the underground river
in Mgharet el Kassarat (Antelias).
- Discovery dive in the terminal siphon of Mgharet el
- Colouring of the Deir Choumra water which re-appeared
within the Jeita cave.
- Dive in the resurgence of Nabeh Figeh in Syria.
to 1975 A new and young team takes over the SCL
activities, discovering and exploring many caves and specializing
in underground diving: Baatara, Nabaa el Laban, Rmeilé,
Nabeh el Safa, Qashqoush, Afka, Jiita
to 1985 - SCLs activities are stopped due to the
Lebanese civil war.
- SCL is 're-launched' into action.
- Resuming of the Al Watwat newsletter (New series).
- Coloring of Baatara sinkhole.
- Coloring of Balaa sinkhole.
- A French-Lebanese basic training for SRT Techniques
is organized with the collaboration of the French Caving Federation.
- First Architecture diploma specializing in caving is
obtained by an SCL member.
- French expedition to Lebanon on behalf of the French
Caving Federation. Re-exploration of Fouar Dara with SCL members.
- Colouring of Nabaa el Houeh (Michimcheh- North Lebanon).
- Second Architecture diploma specializing in caving obtained
by an SCL member.
- Caving rescue drill with the Lebanese army.
- Rediscovery of Mgharet el Kassarat (Antelias).
- SCL organizes the first national caving meeting.
- SCL purchases its current premises which are inaugurated
in the presence of old club members.
- Complete crossing of the Nahr Ibrahim canyon, Houet
- SCL organizes the first caving symposium for its 50th
anniversary. The event included a joint exhibition of photography
and posters under the caving theme in addition to a documentary
and photographic retrospective of its 50 years of activity.
- The SCL organizes the first inter Arab training with the
Saudi Geological Society. The SCL taught basic SR and rescue
- Nabaa el Shatawie cave is re-explored and a further
2km are discovered.