Forums
Home | Register | Help | Search | Profile

Please head over to http://chat.saipan.com to access Saipan.Com's WebChat Applet

Announcements: 0

Forums : Island Life : saipansucks.com
(Pages: 1 2 )
New Topic Post Reply
Poster Message
Cyniq
Level: Moderator
IP: Logged

View Profile Send Email to User
icon saipansucks.com

www.saipansucks.com

here is an interesting site about how saipan sucks. the owner of this site is William Betz
lets hear your thoughts on this site.

I personally feel insulted by this site and how he depicts saipan. Yes there are problems
with in these islands but the way he went about flaming saipan instead of offering solutions was insulting

i'm interested in knowing how others feel about this site and why you think he made this website

Cyniq

09-19-2001 at 12:28 AM | Quote Reply
jesara
Level: Jr. Member

icon Re: saipansucks.com

quote:
cyniq wrote:
www.saipansucks.com

here is an interesting site about how saipan sucks. the owner of this site is William Betz
lets hear your thoughts on this site.

I personally feel insulted by this site and how he depicts saipan. Yes there are problems
with in these islands but the way he went about flaming saipan instead of offering solutions was insulting

i'm interested in knowing how others feel about this site and why you think he made this website

Cyniq

I THINK little bill HAS ISSUES IN THE MIND. THE SITE IS SO UGLY AND INSULTING THAT NO ONE SHOULD EVEN CLICK ON IT. SAIPAN HAS ITS PROBLEM JUST LIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD AND he (little bill) SHOULD GET A LIFE, A REAL ONE AND MAYBE VISIT THE "SHRINK". I THINK he ALSO MADE THE SITE CAUSE HE WAS HIRED AND FIRED CUZ HE CAN'T DO THE JOB RIGHT....."SAIPAN IS A BEAUTIFUL ISLAND BENEATH THE SUN WHERE MY DAY WILL ALWAYS BEGIN."
10-09-2001 at 07:21 AM | Quote Reply
reoch

Who's this William Betz guy anyways? Does he live in saipan?

10-12-2001 at 09:57 AM | Quote Reply
crissy

View Profile Send Email to User ICQ

Sorta true but sad in a way!... So instead of saying something negative about this (bill) person, we the people should do something about it not just sit around and expect some what outsiders would come and do what we suppose to do.... So speak up dont zip up.
So lets make the public servants (politicians) do there job, but we have to do ours too "SPEAK UP AND DO IT!!".

VIA CON DIOS!!!

10-14-2001 at 02:52 PM | Quote Reply
islandmagic

well, my thoughts on this subject is that mr. bill gets problems from local peps and that's why he says that saipan sucks. now bill if u move from your home islands to another place you would'nt talk about saipan like that so to my knowledge bill ur the one that really sucks. so get a life preck.

10-17-2001 at 06:48 PM | Quote Reply
TIKK
Level: Member

View Profile Send Email to User Visit Homepage

ahhh-too manny harsh words towards bill but i signed up and logged on this web the same way everybody else does. not because i wanted to insult anybody but because this is-if i'm not mistaken, as "mikey" says "post your mind". oh well! say your piece...

10-29-2001 at 03:44 AM | Quote Reply
bobmckelvy

People like Bill come to Saipan bringing their American style expectations with them.
Saipan is an extremely beautiful place. I recently spent two years there and miss it very much. You leave your American standards at home when you come here and accept the differences between U.S. life and Island life. If you can't adjust, to island life. You do not belong here. Don't bad-mouth a place because things do not go right for you. I like Saipan the way it is.
Its problems are unique. Thats what adds a lot of flavor to that beautiful place.
I have a nice "warm fuzzy" on my WEB site about Saipan, so it is not all bad as some people describe it.
http://www.cox-internet.com/bobmck
Bob McKelvy

11-09-2001 at 04:31 PM | Quote Reply
Eddie

lovedddddddddd it! So well said. So glad im gone from your dirty little island.lanyaaaaaa

Chada-na-namu

12-07-2001 at 05:57 AM | Quote Reply
applenunu

Great news!!! Does anyone like to wear the SaipanSucks T-Shirts?! It is available!!!!!!

01-07-2002 at 03:09 PM | Quote Reply
saipansubversive

I don't know who the author of that masterpiece is, but he or she appears to have done a world of good. Not only has the author discouraged investment and tourism, but also the relocation of people from the Mainland who were considering job offers in the CNMI. Hats off to whoever he or she is! Saipansucks.com is a true public service, except for the self-serving paradise parasites.

01-07-2002 at 09:31 PM | Quote Reply
saipansubversive

I don't know who the author of that masterpiece is, but he or she appears to have done a world of good. Not only has the author discouraged investment and tourism, but also the relocation of people from the Mainland who were considering job offers in the CNMI. Hats off to whoever he or she is! Saipansucks.com is a true public service, except for the self-serving paradise parasites.

01-07-2002 at 09:33 PM | Quote Reply
JTorres

I think the saipansucks.com web site is in need of a face lift - having to scroll all over the page in order to see if there is anything new there kind of sucks. Maybe put things in each of their own sections. well - my .02 anyway...

Eddie, Applenunu, and Saipansubversive - you guys all came in from AOL - you guys in some kind of "I Hate Saipan" AOL Club or something?

You know there are really good ISPs on Saipan (if you happen to live here at the moment) that you could use for access...

01-16-2002 at 07:23 AM | Quote Reply
FRANK

Very well said JTorres...can't agree more. Aren't there any constructive criticisms out there...like saipansucks.com can change into something such as "saipan's-such a place to come". The availabe T-shirts for sale can be send back to whoever printed them-ask for a refund if paid for. What a waste.

01-16-2002 at 10:25 PM | Quote Reply
JTorres

Well another thing about saipansucks.com that I don't like is that everything there is one way - they post what they want people to see, and there is no way for anyone to make comments.

at least here if someone makes a comment others can make some right back

I wonder if that "Die you piss of shit" was actually sent to them - but my experiences over at the Bruce Lloyd boards http://www.blloydmedia.saipan.com) have taught me that it probably is.

01-17-2002 at 12:07 AM | Quote Reply
TAGABOY

WILLIAM IT IS JUST A SHAME THAT YOU DID NOT ACCEPT WHAT WAS COMING. YOU KNEW THAT GOING TO A NEW PLACE DOESN'T ALWAYS PROMISE A VERY SUCCESSFUL START. INSTEAD OF MAKING NEGATIVE REMARKS ABOUT THE PLACE WHY NOT MAKE POINTS IN WHICH IT COULD BE A BETTER PLACE. NOW WE ALL KNOW THAT THROUGH YOUR WHOLE TIME IN SAIPAN YOU DIDN'T REALLY EXPERIENCE ALL THOSE BAD TRIPS. YOU, YOURSELF THOUGHT OF IT EVERYDAY THAT IS WHY YOU HATE IT SO MUCH. THE EXPERIENCE THERE WAS AWESOME AND YOU JUST COULDN'T BARE EVER LEAVING THE PLACE AGAIN. YOU KNOW I'M RIGHT SO ADMIT IT AND JUST HANG LOOSE. WE ALL MISS YOU BACK HOME. YOUR FRIENDS IN SAIPAN.

01-18-2002 at 03:59 AM | Quote Reply
kiko

View Profile Send Email to User Visit Homepage ICQ

Dear Saipan Sucks Webmaster,

After reading the material on your site, I must admit that many of the things you wrote about it true. I stayed in Saipan since I was four years old (back in 1974), and just moved to the mainland three years ago. I am an american (born in Ca.), married a chamorro woman, and used to be a popular disc-jockey for Hot 98 fm so I can honestly say being a haolie, that I can concur many things that you have written about.

However, isn't it possible to present the information you have, and leave it alone without also adding fuel to the fire? It is so biased. Or should i say so negative? If you have spent any time there, then you know that not everyone acts or does or thinks the way that many of the politicians and other unfortunates do.

I have seen, and been helped with many acts of kindness, from the local people that even my mainland neighbors that I have surrounding my house would not think or care about. Many of the older 'manamko' might see things like you do also. I'm sure they wonder, "what the hell happened to Saipan?"

I'm sure the focus of your website was to warn any amercian mainlanders, about the problems of being hired in Saipan. However, are you sure that people that are educated, will believe what you have presented in your site with the title, "Saipan Sucks"?

I totally agree with your views on the first amendment, but since it does appear that you are quite educated, why not present your website in a more un-biased fashion? For example, just present the facts as a newspaper reporter would. And then, why not offer your views as to any suggestions on what the powers-that-be in Saipan should do to start fixing the problems.

To be quite honest, I could write about any city in the U.S., and be able to come up with probably more dirt that you have. And I'm sure you know that to be true. I'm not bashing you or your site, because I believe there is a place for it.

Maybe your views should be more focused to teach, or to allow others who are sick and tired of all the problems, to voice their same views and opinions too. So hopefully, the children in the c.n.m.i., in the future, will right the wrongs, or at least attempt to.

Sincerely,
Kiko

01-30-2002 at 04:53 AM | Quote Reply
Vagitarian

I am sick and tired of all the badmouthing going on about Saipan and saipansucks.com. Of course, saipansucks.com has contributed more to the world than Saipan itself has or ever will, but hey! come on! What's the point? There was a book about the island written by somebody named Guy Gabaldon, and he called the book "Suicide Island." That's an interesting title, since the news reports from last year suggested that there is an inordinately high suicide rate among teenagers and children on the island. Why is that? Hah? Is it because kids grow up in an environment where they are told in their schools that there are good, fundamental moral values that they can and should adhere to as Americans, then go home and find their parents preoccupied with racist, family-obsessed nonsense and eating Spam and getting fat and lazy and racing towards an early death from diabetes? It is because the most visible locals on the islands are politicians who are completely cynical and concerned only with advancing their own and their supporters' material and economic well-being by stealing money from the United States government? No wonder the kids feel hopeless. Their parents and leaders are teaching them to be parasites and fat and lazy and stupid people. Is anyone aware that there are not even any books in the library of the new Kagman high school? And what's all this I hear about violins on television!!!!

02-04-2002 at 03:10 PM | Quote Reply
megavision

Fuck this site!!! The owner of this site can suck my fucking dick!!!

ROB
http://RobbyOnline.cjb.net]

03-08-2002 at 10:57 AM | Quote Reply
applenunu

you dick may be too small for suck it

05-02-2002 at 02:14 AM | Quote Reply
billthethrillclinton

I would like to comment on the SAIPANSUCKS.COM page. First of all everything this guy stated about Saipan is true! I laughed and cried at the same time . Laughed for the reason that Saipan truly sucks and cried for the fact that I even lived on that Philippine wanna-be-island.
True it is a dirty cesspool of bonnie dogs and chickens. No one takes pride on living in Saipan and every person I had ever met would talk about when and how are they going to leave Saipan.But enough with that, I can go on and on . The few people that actually liked the shit hole are people that cannot make it elsewhere in the world. Case in point the American “professionals” there. I.E some doctors, dentists, and lawyers.
The Dentist I went to didn’t even work on me! The little cute Filipina dentists( only certified in the Philippines and NOT certified under US dental boards to practice ) did all the work and furthermore when my root canal billed me over $500.00 I later found out that the Filipina dentists are only making $5.00 an hour. The American dentist who I’d rather not say sat in his office and watched TV. To be honest with you I really wanted to walk right out however the pain I was experiencing was over whelming.Folks the reason I know this is because my wife works with one of the secretaries there . This is just a small part that makes Saipan suck. No American trained dental assistant in his or her mind would ever do a procedure without the practicing Dentist next to him or her. The Filipino “professionals” are getting paid and it doesn’t bother them at all. If Saipan would stop taking these non-American professionals and change there hiring practices, quality medical care could become a reality for Saipan. There is a reason why these American dentists enjoy Saipan. And the # 1 reason is girls and the proximity to the Philippines where sexual adventure will take place. Of course, with $3.05 an hour when you’re the owner of anything in Saipan , your King Shit on Turd Island
More to come ,
BC

06-02-2002 at 06:36 PM | Quote Reply
Banananose

Wow, I just checked out Saipansucks.com. Not only is there a NEW UPDATE with some very interesting information, but also the Saipansucks store is selling golf shirts! They look great. Wow, what a fantastic place Saipan must be to inspire such flights of poesy and imagination. Tell me, really . . . is it possible anyplace could be that bad? Is it really a shithole, as Bill the Thrill Clinton suggests? I was thinking of visiting, but . . . Now, I'm really not that sure.

06-05-2002 at 03:11 AM | Quote Reply
Memnoch

Amen Kiko! A very mature and civilized outlook. Very well said, indeed.

06-26-2002 at 01:57 AM | Quote Reply
Sabruta

Sounds like the author of Saipansucks.com feels heavily jilted. Maybe he/she can join the ranks of those people who feel the rest of the world owes them something. In fact, the Taliban is looking to recruit individuals just like you. You'd make a perfect candidate. Have fun wallowing in your misery.

06-26-2002 at 07:41 PM | Quote Reply
Forgetabilia

Can all this stuff be true?

10-30-2002 at 02:17 PM | Quote Reply
sosueme

icon Forgetable asks...

quote:
forgetabilia wrote:
Can all this stuff be true?

Hmmm . . . good question little Billy. A better question though might be:

"Could all this stuff just be a myopic, twisted, distorted and exaggerated version of some element of the truth in keeping with the authors racist agenda and cultural elitism?"

Answer: YOU BETCHA! LOL

11-02-2002 at 04:40 AM | Quote Reply
Lioness
Level: Sr. Member

Hi hi!!!!
I havent read up on the topic at hand here....but just wanted to stop in and give a special shout out to CYNIQ!!!! the author of this room....

So how you been, Cyn this is like my second post in this forum,,,and certainly NOT my last! so you'll be seein me in here, a lot!!

See ya! *wink*

01-08-2003 at 02:46 AM | Quote Reply
Aizek

The author begins his essay by stating that while the CNMIslands are close to the Pacific Rim, they "nonetheless share little of the culture of Asia or the U.S.", as if to imply that they are somehow backwards or wrong for not having allowed their cultural identity to become absorbed and assimilated by those places. This is at least ethnocentric if not racist. Indeed, the author barely conceals behind his specious guise of whistleblower a boiling racial and ethnic contempt for, what he writes with quotation marks, chamorro '"society"' and its family-oriented culture.

To illustrate and help back up the credibility of his points, throughout his tirade he frequently refers to individuals with terms such as "One member....", "One senator...", "One candidate..." etc. Yet he fails to give names which would help to more specifically identify who these mystery individuals are.

On the other hand, while the author in his writing sensationalizes, magnifies, and focuses solely on negative aspects, his comments about governmental nepotism, beurocratic messiness, and basically the politics of the CNMI in general are at their core, accurate. Having lived on Saipan, I was at first puzzled and then frustrated by the lethargic attitudes I encountered towards the state of politics there. Shortly after I moved in with my mother's family, elections took place. Along with obtaining a driver's license, I registered to vote, and come election day I was told by my mother that I should cast my ballot for a friend of the family. This annoyed me, because I didn't know anything about him and felt that his being a friend of the family alone wasn't a very good reason to vote for him. But, having only recently moved there, I didn't yet have opinions invested in the political situation and so voted for my family's friend. During my time there however, I began to question my mother about what was going on. The first thing that really struck me was that the candidate, whose name I don't remember, was a Republican. When my mom had lived in the US, she had always been a staunch Democrat. She voted for the candidates who shared and supported her principles. I questioned why, even if the candidate was a family friend, would she vote for a Republican. She told me that on Saipan there is basically no difference between what Republican and Democratic candidates stand for (and I saw very little evidence that campaigns there are run on "issues" at all), so people vote for who they know, and that that's just how it is. This has bothered me ever since, because as I came to realize, there is so much room for improvement in the CNMI. And yet the locals seem satisfied for things to remain as they are. He also gives short mention, in discussing the foreign labor situation, to the complicity of major clothing labels who act as enablers for the conditions and treatment of workers at the hands of sweatshops, which I think is a key part of that situation. But of course they get off easy compared to the locals.

The author occasionally makes some off-the-wall remarks. When mentioning the ice/speed problem, he states that "history indicates" methamphetamines helped fuel the Japanese war machine. Shortly after that, he states that Filipinos are THE most talented and hardest-working people in Saipan, "as they are in most of Asia." This indicates a potential bias which may reveal something about the author personally. It also illustrates his penchant for sweeping statements. He portrays Chamorros on Saipan as a bunch of greedy, hypocritical, murderous, incestuous thieves living in a "totally corrupt sub-society", and yet when referring to racism among Chamorros on the island, he flatly states that "they all are". He's the pot calling the kettle black. He even goes so far as to say that "recent reports appear to suggest" (as usual, no links or specific sources, references or bibiliography) "that the CNMI may be a center for the laundering and worldwide dispersal of money by Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations"!

He writes that he is being sought after in order for a defamation suit to be filed against him, and sarcastically points out that his "masterpiece" is protected by the First Amendment. He refers to his writing as "social commentary". But accusing the CNMI of being a pawn of Al Qaeda and terrorism among the many things mentioned above, without providing any other sources to back up those claims, certainly sounds slanderous.

He tries to make himself appear confident in his Constitutional protection, and yet this is simultaneously belied by his anonymity, which he actually seems to take an impish delight in. To write such an inflammatory piece and yet not include a page about who he is, for him not to provide some of his own personal information, (his connection to and history with Saipan, e.g.) brings his credibility into question.

I suspect he's logged onto this forum masquerading as other people in order to bait posters to this forum. The AOL email address he has posted as his contact at the website has the same username, Forgetabilia, as someone who has posted here. Here, however, he feigns ambivalence about the accuracy of what's written at the website. Someone else also pointed out that the three other people (in a row) who slammed Saipan with such vitriol were all AOL users as well. It's suspicious, and it raises doubts about the legitimacy of at least two of those posters as separate individuals.

While I am not proud of the political situation in the CNMI, I am proud of my Chamoru heritage. The Mañamoru endured centuries of subjugation at the hands of other nations, and unlike some other peoples who went through similar ordeals, the Mañamoru managed to hang onto their language and customs. I find it disheartening that in an era where we are free of the strife of the past, we would now lose those things which our ancestors so courageously struggled to preserve, simply due to lethargy and indifference. Changes on Saipan do need to be made. I hope that website angers us enough that we will be driven to prove to him and others who feel the same way that they are wrong about our people.

For those of you who would be interested in reading some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, visit Ruth Tighe's weekly online column "On My Mind" at http://net.saipan.com/cftemplates/omm/index.cfm . She is a woman from the U.S. who has lived on Saipan for several years. She doesn't shy away from addressing a lot of the ridiculousness that goes on on Saipan, but her writings are poignant, intelligent, and balanced.

01-31-2003 at 02:49 PM | Quote Reply
Forgetabilia

Aizek's post is interesting in some ways and typical in others. He cites Ruth Tighe as a knowledgeable commentator on CNMI matters, without acknowledging that it was she who was referred to in saipansucks.com as having accused the author of being "immature" because he (or she) thinks theft and nepotism should not be characterized as cultural traits. As for Ruth, one cannot accuse her of being immature since she's about 8,000 years old. Apparently anyone not quite 8,000 years old can be accused, in Ruth's view, of immaturity. Well, I resent that. Darn it. This really upsets me -- even to the point where I guess I'm going to have to let the cat out of the bag. This is it: Some people (who shall remain nameless) suspect that Ruth's real name is Amelia Earhardt and that she assumed the guise of Ruth Tighe in order to avoid detection. Be that as it may, I think the author of saipansucks.com would take the position that Ruth is an accommodator and an apologist for corruption. I don't know. I can't really speak for him or her. I'll have to ask him or her.

As for me, I have read saipansucks.com and I must say that the author has raised some valid points, although I don't agree with everything he or she says about the island. For example, he (or she) says something to the effect that "there is a McDonald's" on Saipan when every knowledgeable person knows there are TWO McDonald's. This person is obviously ill-informed and I think everything humanly possible should be done to shut him or her up.

02-11-2003 at 09:37 PM | Quote Reply
sosueme

icon Reasons: forgetabiliasucks.comtoo

Aizek's post is to be commended. To the author's credit, it is not a response in kind. (I on the other hand have no such compunctions . . .lol) See, Aizek manages to respond from the heart and the head simultaneously. It's a well thought out, articulate and dead-on response to the endless stream of all too "typical" tripe seeping from Forgetable's grey matter.

In fact, it's so dead-on that our Forgetable friend can do no more than launch into yet another "typically" pathetic attempt at having something worth complaining about. :rolleyes:

Ruth Tighe accused him of being immature, huh? Well, cry me another river, little Billy. Out of all the comments and contentions Aizek so thoughtfully laid out, his only response is to whine about the fact that Ruth thinks he's an immature little-big mouth? Hey, you know, based on everything I've seen him pen to date, I'd say she just might be on to something. LOL Time will tell.

He can't speak for the author of saipansucks though? Really? How come? Maybe he needs to go back and check with his Mommy to see if she's willing to go along with his latest prevarications. Why, he's a regular Norman Bates. LOL! That's right, Forgetable, put on the wig and ask him/herself what he/she thinks. Don't piss him/her off though. I hear he/she has a real mean-spirited streak.

Might come after you with a web site. (cue music from Psycho shower scene) Scary, huh? Yea, that'll teach ya.

02-13-2003 at 11:40 PM | Quote Reply
Forgetabilia

LOL. LMAO. Rolleyes. <grin>

02-14-2003 at 12:29 PM | Quote Reply
Forums : Island Life : saipansucks.com New Topic Post Reply

Pages: 1 2

Not Logged In? Username: Password: Lost your password?
Forum Rules:
Who can post new topic? Administrator, Moderator, Sr. Member, Member, Jr. Member
Who can reply? Administrator, Moderator, Sr. Member, Member, Jr. Member
Who can read? Administrator, Moderator, Sr. Member, Member, Jr. Member, Guest
HTML Enabled? no
UBBC Enabled? yes
Words Filter Enable? no

Contact Us | Forums.Saipan.Com