It Appears that Twin Galaxies and Dwayne Richard are Planning to Cheat Again!

Funspot's Classic Arcade Game Forum: Archive Spring 2004: It Appears that Twin Galaxies and Dwayne Richard are Planning to Cheat Again!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  

Roy Shildt

Friday, March 19, 2004 - 08:26 pm
To Twin Galaxies, Walter Day, Funspot, and those it may concern:

I have the legal right to pose the question of dishonest activites.

Intelligence sources reveal that Dwayne Richard is planning to break my (Roys') missile command record on an altered version of missile command. Dwayne has been playing on the standard version of missile command (which has a 4" track ball and used for the Guinness WR) for years without success. Recently he's acquired an altered version with a smaller screen and a 2.5" trackball that is easier to play. He may submit a new record to Twin Galaxies on the altered version and they will probably accept it. No honest scoreboard should accept such a record to replace the one in the 1986 edition of the "Guinness Book of World Records".

Walter Day owns 51% of the stock in Twin Galaxies (T.G.). His company has recieved money from Bill Mitchell (also a T.G. stockholder) to alleviate financial problems. In 1985 I refered to Bill Mitchell as a mediocre coward because he was present at the 1985 "Player of the Year" contest (a contest I helped organize) the whole time and refused to play. It appears that Bill Mitchell is jealous and using his influence to remove me (Roy Shildt) from the Twin Galaxies "Hall of Fame" and invalidate my missle command record by "any means necessary".

It appears that Todd Rodgers (of T.G.) has already filed a fraudulent challenge to my missile command record in an attempt to invalidate it. Perhaps the next dishonest move is to alter a missile command machine to easier game play that is undetectable on video tape.

In fact a video tape of a performance should never be used solely to verify a world record. Video game ROM chips can be altered, video tapes themselves can be "edited" so that fraudulent game play is undetectable. In 1999 Twin Galaxies offered $100k to anyone who could negotiate the Pac-man split screen. If video tapes were sufficient proof of a score, why did T.G. insist that the performance be live under their supervision. In addition the Seattle Times (July 15, 2003) has said (because of an interview with Bill Mitchell) that, "he only counts his scores if they're played in a public venue." It appears that the "Guinness Book of World Records" stopped printing video game scores after 1987 because they couldn't find a scoreboard to properly adhere to their strict policy of live contest performances.

The obvious remedy for honest scoreboards, so concerned to eliminate any cheating, is to list both "live" and Taped" performance records in the proper format. Hopefully we can all work together to the benefit of everyone. Dishonesty should not be tolerated.

Sincerely,
Roy Shildt

Barry

Friday, March 19, 2004 - 09:18 pm
The Missile Command mini uses a 2.5 track ball and a 13" monitor. The cocktail version uses the 2.5 track ball and a 13" monitor.
mini
cocktail

Todd Rogers

Friday, March 19, 2004 - 11:20 pm
LISTEN ROY SHIldT
I'M really tired of the kid gloves when it comes to you ROY. I am not like Walter and Billy to sit back an let you stomp all over them I do bite back. Your like a pesty gnat flying around spreading what you like to wallow in. Its TODD ROGERS not rodgers. I "HAVE" face to face challenged you ROY and like the coward that you are you deny it.Ive also challenged you thru Twingalaxies and to my dislike Walter defends your only claim to fame. But NOW you feel like a big man spreading more of your bull hoping to lull over the naive players that dont know what you stand for. You know ROY i really didnt know very much about you until CGE2k2 but you are showing us gamers over and over what kind if a real YUTZ you really are. Its like this ROY again i am in a PUBLIC forum challanging you on Missile Command ANY time ANY where ANY place. But like your usual responce you'll find some poor excuse to come up with. For altering Missile Command to an easier setting why is that something YOU did back in the day to attain your record when everyone else including Walter wasnt looking. True Dishonesty shouldn't be tolerated so then why are we allowing you to talk because everytime you open your mouth something twisted comes out of it. Fountain of mis-information.

Todd Mr Activision Rogers

Anonymous

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:28 am
Even if Dwayne gets a record on a different game, it probably gets listed as a different game anyway...and if two people play the same game at the same place, the better player will win...guess we'll never know...;)

- - -

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 08:48 am
Someone needs to play a game with the 4" ball and break Roy's record so we don't have to listen to any more of his c**p.

Rick

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:32 am
Where does Roy get this information? Looking at past postings here it seems no one likes him but he still keeps posting what looks like insider information about upcoming record attempts.

artz

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 10:13 am
He used to post under "Anonymous" until Robert blew his cover a few months ago. Now he's annoying us under his real name.

Take Todd Rogers challenge or shut up! I hope Dwayne takes down your bogus record.

Anonymous

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 12:26 pm
Roy's record is listed under Tournament, wouldn't someone have to beat this score at a Tournament like the one at Funspot in June to qualify?

Roy Shildt

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 02:20 pm
To Todd,

My record is genuine, you are not. I have located other witness to my accomplishment who I will not name at this time for fear that they will be bought off as well. You never challenged me face to face but that's not relevant.

I don't deal with puppets; tell your puppet master Silly Bitchell I challenge him to a missile command/Donkey Kong showdown. I win I get a notation for the Hall of Fame that I deserve. You can show up as well as Dwayne to play missile command.

Hey Silly, pick up your skirt, grab your balls, and step up to the joystick. You've had missile command in your house for 20 years.

P.S. Todd- make sure your check clears first

P.S.S. Gee, Robert usually chirps in by now. I guess we'll wait untill after he talks to Dwayne

Anonymous

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 02:47 pm
Here's a simple solution, why don't all involved show up at the Funspot 6th Annual International Classic Game Tournament in June and the one that scores the most wins. Or is that too complicated?

Todd Rogers

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:40 pm
Roy
I have not said that your score was not REAL , I have questioned the time it took you to make it. That time frame sounded a little suspicious to me and other prominent players.As for me being not genuine why don't you look back as FAR as they have been keeping Video game records and youll see my name. So ROY i guess you are telling me then is that if im not genuine your scores arent either because you are mentioned in the same circles as me. If my challenging you face to face at the CGE is not relevant then why do you bring it up.
Yes to Anonymous i agree i will show up to FunSpot this June i am looking for some healthy competition.
Roy again as for me being on Billy's payroll its never happend ROY you must really hate the idea that Billy Mitchell is so accomplished in life. I bet your jealousy of him really eats you up at nite or at least thats what you are conveying to others.

Roy Shildt

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 04:21 pm
To Todd and others,

My record is genuine. Walter Day was mistaken about the exact time it took to complete it. In his first book he said 45 minutes. It for took approx. 45 mins. for Walter to see me turn the machine over and then to completion. That's what counts. Thats' what he meant; ask him. The whole game from start to finish took approx. 1hr 20 mins. for 1,695,265. Walter will back that up unless someone has bought him a new car.

Assorted scumbags are trying to take advantage of that and say that I scored only 695,265. In 1985 I played 14 games, 6 of which were 1 mil.+. I have witnesss to that, the ones that haven't been silenced.

Tell Silly to accept my challenge

Anonymous

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:24 pm
Roy You are mentally ill. You are obsessed with a game that is totally insignificant. You play one game big deal. I can play hundreds you don't see me begging for recognition or jealous of other players. I will break you score just to see you cry or so i can get a restraining order placed on you because you won't stop harrassing me. That is insane. You need to get a like and spend more time loving your kids and wife. dwayne

Anonymous

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 06:26 pm
I need to use spell correction. I may be slow but at least i an not crazy. dwayne

Rick

Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 07:42 pm
He has a wife and kids?

Anonymous

Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:39 am
After reading this thread I'm amazed. Back in the early 80's people scoring 5,000,000+ was common place, but now there is a conspiracy to break a record(1,695,265) that any old games would laugh at, get a grip. I call on the gamers from that time to show up at funspot and put up a score that will shut up these want to be's. It won't take much, a score of 3,000,000 to 4,000,000 will make them put their tails between their legs and run away.

Rick

Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:20 am
I suggest a Missile Command showdown at the Funspot tournament in June. Roy, Billy, Todd, Dwayne and any other challengers to the Missile Command title. Best man, or woman, will be the undisputed Missile Command champion. There are too many questions about the current record since none of you can agree on who saw what so have a new tournament in front of witnesses and tape the whole thing. All players going into this tournament agree that at the end, a new champion will be crowned.

Rick
PS: Gary, It is a good idea and needs to be tossed to the players.

Derek

Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 01:53 pm
Hey Dwayne and anonymous,

Didn't want to get involved in this mess but I have to disagree. I consider Missile Command to be a significant game and of no lesser significance than Centipede, Donkey Kong, Pac-man etc.

While I think the crying about the who has the world record or is trying to break it un a non UR machine is ridiculous. I agree, everyone show up at the Funspot tournament and settle this...

Plus I am totally tired of people posting as anonymous and calling people pussies or what not. Be a man and don't hide behind a keyboard, for all of Roy's whining at least he is not hiding anymore...
Derek

Roy Shildt

Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 05:48 pm
Hey Dwayne,will you play on the 4"track ball or the 2.5", you kinda forgot to mention.

Only live performances on 4" will ever be true WRs. Dwayne, I swear that I've have only called you once. If someone is harrassing you it is the same bastards that are making my life miserable. They are trying to pschye you up against me and doing anything they can to alienate me from other people. I apologize for any offense.

If you are playing on the 2.5" ball, perhaps you are being told to do something that you shouldn't do which may apply to the last time you were allowed to do something that you shouldn't have done. Those details are your own concern. If my score is broken that fine with me, But if my score is invalidated thats' the same as calling me a liar and a cheat. Can you see the difference now Todd--Walter?

Todd,stretching the shadow of a doubt to its limit, I'll assume that your challenge to the missile command score was made because you were duped into believeing it was fake. You're a warrior and I'm a warrior. I hope that you understand that I meant no offense. It's your bitchell that needs to stand up.

I believe that Walter Day is a good man-an honest man, who sometimes does the wrong thing. He's under alot of pressure and has alot of details to be concerned with. I'm not against him or Twin Galaxies they just need to clean up their act and not allow themselves to be influenced by bad people. Fellow Christians please pray for Walter to find the right path.

To the evil scumbags I say this; The truth will hunt you down with a vengeance. Change your evil ways before it's too late.

Mark Longridge

Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:59 pm
Ok, ok, I can't resist making some comments. :)

Personally I'll love to see some serious Missile Command attempts in person. Once I talked to Jeff Peters and he said Roy was amazing on Missile Command and that's something I always wanted to see.
Unfortunately I wasn't at Victoria BC so I can't add any more information.

There was one MAME recording on 4 cities I saw which was over 400K. To this day that's the best I have seen.

1.6 million points on Missile Command with 6 cities with NO ADDITIONAL CITIES is an amazing achievement. The reference to 50 million on Missile Command is a score which was most likely made with bonus cities every 10,000 points.

Anyways I'd love to see Roy, Todd, Dwayne and anyone else play Missile Command in person, on the
upright machine with the 4 inch trackball.

Even if you don't accept a videotape as 100% conclusive I very much doubt anyone is going to produce such a score any time soon. From what I understand it will take tons of practise for _anyone_ to reach that level.

If someone was to produce 500,000 points and put it on tape that would be good enough for 2nd on the all-time list. I find it a bit strange that
no one has done this. The highest I can recall seeing at Funspot was approximately 140,000 points.

My experience is that the true player will always go out of his way to prove himself. The false player will just make excuses. That's been my experience.

Mark L

Zotmeister

Monday, March 22, 2004 - 10:36 am
I'm just going to post this link, and let others draw their own conclusions:

http://www.wayoftherodent.com/guests/bob_aeroflott1.htm

- ZM

Derek

Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:29 pm
That is a well known bug and from what I understand it is not 128 bonus cities but a random number from 1-256. My high is only in the 600k range so I never achieved it myself.

Clay Cowgill is working on a bug fix that would eliminate the bonus cities and have scorign up to 99M (as an option with regular MC, Super Missile Attack and Tournament MC). But then again I have been wating 4 years for it, so who knows if it will ever come out...

I do not for certian if this bug happens when you use the mode in which no bonus cities are awarded ever... Anyone know for sure?

Derek

Derek

Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:37 pm
Just poked around wayoftherodent and found this pic:

http://www.wayoftherodent.com/gamegodsmain.htm

Is it me or is this our beloved Funspot???? The Crazy Climber/Taito lineup looks awefully familiar...

Derek

Todd Rogers

Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:41 pm
Roy
I agree with you on the competitive side of the challange and if you want to reguard my challange to you as warrior vs warrior then so be it. But the challange that i made to you out in Las Vegas when you interupted my Decathlon contest last year had NOTHING to do with the score challange that i issued to you thru the Twin Galaxies posting about how you attained your 1.6 mil. I like ive mentioned before i have only reached mid 600k mark on Missile Command and would love to see some one flip the game at a million pts. Im sure others would follow the desire as well. Now for a Masters competition on the 4" track ball Missile Command out in Fun Spot that would be great with Billy , Dwayne , Donald, Chris , Roy and Myself plus anyone else who feels they can do well Im up all for it. Lets get some good game playing in this year and the best of all to HAVE FUN at it and make some NEW RECORDS.

Roy Shildt

Monday, March 22, 2004 - 09:12 pm
To Todd, Dwayne , and others,

Once again I would like to apologize to Dwayne. I never accused you of anything; in so many words I simply posed the question of impropriety. You should thank me for stopping you from being duped into playing on the wrong machine. I think that you are a great player and I hope you do well in life.

Todd, if I play in an upcoming turnament (and I win) then I get my "Hall of Fame" notation in the next Twin Galaxies book-. That's the deal. I play missle command and Donkey Kong and Billy Mitchell plays missile command and Donkey Kong. I'll call Walter Day, Robert M., or Mark Longridge for confirmation. And please open up the lines of communication because I need setting info on other games that I want to play (remove the block on my e-mail).

To Zotmeister and Derek,
Generally missile command will give 256? (I never knew the exact #) bonus cities when you hit 800k + whatever the bonus city setting is except when it is zero. At no bonus city you get no bonuses at 800k. You just keep going with whatever you have left. Forget about the record. The real challenge is to get to 1 mil. without losing a city. I've missed it by one shot. I've made it to 1 mil.+ with 4 cities still on the deck. A perfect game would be 6. To anyone who has truly embraced missile command that is Ahabs' whale.

Mark Boolman

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:26 am
Hello all, this is an unexpected and pleasant change for the better. Roy, if you present yourself more like the last couple of posts, more people will listen and not shun you. Apologies are probably still due to some, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. Reguardless of who is in control of TG, the gaming community keeps close tabs on what's going on, and if they were caught being dishonest, they would lose credibility completely

Gary

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 09:58 am
Derek,
That sure is a picture of Funspot. I wonder who took it and how it ended up on a UK website.
Gary :)

Zotmeister

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:03 am
Derek: Fine catch you made there! I'd put money on that being a Funspot photo; it looks like there's pinball along the back left wall, the emergency exit on the back right wall seems to be in the right place, and that Xenophobe machine right in front is something I cannot recall as ever having moved. - ZM

Zotmeister

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:06 am
Gary: I'm a member of the forum the editors of that website frequent. I'll ask them. - ZM

Zotmeister

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 10:34 am
Gary: Apparently it was "borrowed" from Mike Stulir:

http://www.backntime.net/Events/Clas2000/FrameFunspot1.html

Zotmeister

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 11:08 am
Gary (sorry about the repetition): A quote from Richard "koworld" Hammond, WotR publisher:

"We pulled that off of Google images I think. And both Sickers [Andy "Sickboy" Lowe, WotR editor] and I thought it was an arcade 'back in the day' - all credit to Funspot that a veteran such as Sickboy could be fooled!

"Say hello to Funspot from us, please let Gary know that we'd love him to write a piece for WotR if he'd like. I think WotR and Funspot share the same spirit, we certainly share similar objectives. :)"

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 12:06 pm
To all Forum users:

Reminder, the Funspot forum should not be used to attack other entities. This forum is dedicated to the playing, collecting and appreciation of classic games.

Roy Shildt

Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:12 pm
To Moderator,

I do not wish to attack anyone, but I feel compelled to bring to light any dishonest activity. If Twin Galaxies is dishonest that greatly affects a Funspot participants ability to appreciate classic games because anyone trying for a spot on the "Wall of Fame" is competeing with a Twin Galaxies tape. Better check with Gary on that one.

I feel that some changes need to be made and that we should all work together for the betterment of playing, collecting, and the appreciation of classic games.

Robert T Mruczek

Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 10:26 pm
Roy:

Dude, you need to get a life. All your efforts are solely due to your gripe with Twin Galaxies. Why bother Funspot with your beef ?

It's incredible. For a player who boasts ONE (1) score from 18+ years ago, you do 95% of the complaining.

Gamers have been and always will be submitting scores at Funspot towards THEIR "wall of Fame" these past two years. And for those gamers that simultaneously opt to share their tapes with Twin Galaxies, we are happy to co-authenticate for them.

I strongly suspect that gamers will appreciate to play their games regardless of what you might say or believe.

And Roy...please STOP putting your name in parenthesis (i.e. Roy Schildt) !! You remind me of that old SNL sketch with Dan Aykroyd in which he always talks about himself in that manner ("Fred Garvin, male...")

Robert

Anonymous

Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 11:21 pm
Two things, 1) Can someone please post the Missile command switch setting for the contest in June, and second is Funspot going to do a Wall of Fame? I've heard it talked about, but from the two previous post and more, it it sound like it may be happening.

P.S. Roy if you bring you best game to Funspot in June you'll get the recognition you want.

Donald Hayes

Friday, March 26, 2004 - 10:20 am
Funspot's Wall of Fame is already a reality. There are pictures of many gamers who have broken world records on various games in the corrider between the golf center and the classics sections.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail:
Post as "Anonymous"