U.S. 94 was the old designation for U.S. 41 from Miami to Naples. It followed the same route as the current U.S. 41.
U.S. 94 was one of the routes from the original U.S. Federal Aid Highway System designated in 1926. It was to begin at the corner of 9th Street S and 5th Avenue S in downtown Naples, and run across the Everglades along Tamiami Trail, which was under construction at the time and not yet open. Once in Miami, U.S. 94 would follow SW 8th Street until terminating at U.S. 1 in downtown Miami.
The Tamiami Trail opened in April 1928, completing U.S. 94. At the intersection of 9th Street S and 5th Avenue S in Naples, U.S. 94 ended and the Tamiami Trail north of there became U.S. 41 instead. This was done because at that intersection, the Tamiami Trail transitioned from an east-west route to a north-south route. The American Association of State Highway Officials (AASHO) had guidelines to follow with the Federal Aid Highway routes, which included giving odd numbers to north-south routes and even numbers to east-west routes. Since the Tamiami Trail would change directions in Naples, the U.S. 41 could not be used because the number would be in violation of the rules. Thus, it was given the U.S. 94 number.
The U.S. 94 designation in itself also broke AASHO guidelines. AASHO's numbering plan designated numbers increasing from north to south. U.S. 94 was south of U.S. 98, but it was a smaller number, violating the guidelines.
When the Tamiami Trail opened, it was the only direct route from Miami to Naples and thus a very important route. Alligator Alley would not be completed until 1968, so the Trail remained important until then. With that, it made little sense to have two different route numbers along the Tamiami Trail, so in 1949 U.S. 94 was decommissioned and U.S. 41 was extended along its route.
U.S. 94 was decommissioned in 1950 and U.S. 41 was extended along its route.
Best if viewed in Internet Explorer® with an 800x600 resolution | Last updated: 05.31.04