Porta Alberoni, also known as Porta Corsini does not exist anymore.
It was situated at the end of the current Via Alberoni and was built
in 1739 by the delegated Cardinal Giulio Alberoni.
The road was constructed in 1740 to allow access to the gate and to
The port was demolished in 1884 to make way for todays train lines.
It was strategically important because since the unification of the
city it was an access to the harbor area and to the sea.
A marble memorial stone was situated on the outer façade which was engraved
with an inscription in honor of Cardinal Agostino Rivarola who was responsible
for constructing the road that led to the port.
Another two memorial stones are in remembrance of Cardinal Alberoni
and Cardinal Aldrovandi; this latter ordered the road to be reopened
in 1746. After its destruction, the beautiful gates were placed at the
entrance of the Teatro Rasi (Rasi Theatre) were they are still located