Tuesday 20th January, 2004
A new era for St Joseph’s
SAINt Joseph’s International is one of the oldest schools that has been existing in the country for close to a 100 years.
The school was first established in February1917 by Sr Carthage with only 15 pupils. Because there was only 15 students, the students used a room in the Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Convent which was situated behind the Port Moresby Cathedral. At the time, there was no opportunity for any form of Catholic schooling for Catholic children of expatriates who were living in Port Moresby at the time.
By the early 1920’s the school soon began to increase the number of its intakes, increasing the number of children attending the school. With the increase in the number of students the school soon overflowed, first into part of the new Church, and later into a house next to the convent.
In the late 1950’s, it was decided that St Joseph’s was to move to Boroko. The move was seen as necessary because the population had grown especially around Boroko and there was a great need for the catholic children around the area. Another reason was that the school had grown and the school was too small to cater for the children making its facilities inadequate.
In the early 1960’s, the St Joseph’s church was established at Boroko with the church hall used for classes while the school was being built. By mid 1960, the school was well established with its own classrooms. For the next 20 years buildings and facilities continued to be built to improve the school.
Changes came about in the school just after Independence. The changes came about with the restructuring of the Education System in Papua New Guinea. St Joseph’s School was changed to St Joseph’s International Catholic School.
From the inception of the school in 1917 until December 1985, the OLSH Sisters carried out this apostolate at the request of the Archbishops and in order to meet the pastoral needs of the diocese.
From 1986 until 1994, St Joseph’s was administered by lay principals. In 1995, the RVM Sisters took on the administration of St Joseph’s.
Some of the people who have been influential in the history of the school are: Sr Rosa Maher, Sr Cajetan, Sr Margaret Harrington, Sr Flavian Boland, Sr Aileen Cracknell, Sr Linus, Sr Margaret Mary Daniher, Sr Theresa Chue, Sr Antonia O’toole, Sr Joseph Murray, Sr Marie Louise Booth, Sr Josette Lee and the most recent Principal Mr John Colwell who recently returned to Australia in December, 2003.
Copyright, 2004, Post-Courier Online. Use of this site is governed by our Legal Notice.