last update on this page or on the sublinks: 08.03.2003
[For the future, due to international interest of HAMs, I'll try to publish more documents in English language ]
It is possible modifying POGSAG-Pagers like "Quix, TelMi, Skyper, Scall, etc" for HAM-Radio use. This is quite interesting because due to increasing usage of cellular-phones having thecapability of transfering short-messages (SMSystem) the importance of pagers decreased. Due to this fact, pagers like mentioned above are *very* cheap available on the market - sometimes less than
25.- Euro !
The german pagers operating frequency band is next to the 70cm-HAM-band so modifying the pagers operating band and using it for an own HAM-Paging-System is a nice project !
The modifications which have to be done are:
That's all ! An easy job, isn't it ?
- exchanging the XTAL to the HAM-Paging-QRG 439.9875 MHz
- ReAdjusting the antenna and filters for maximum sensitivity
Modifying Pagers might sometimes be difficult because there are different types available on the market. Some use SAW-Frontend-Filters (NEC) which are not designed for 439.9875 MHz, others are password-protected against reprogramming (but there are some Webpages with published passwords) and some use another digital protocol called FLEX (which is a development of
Motorola and not allowed for HAM-usage) The digital protocol we are allowed to use is called POCSAG.
Concerning SAWs and modification you will find plenty of information on this page and on the sublinks... :-)
What can you do with a pager modified for HAM-Radio ?
- Receiving DX-Cluster announcements and retransmitting them on the POCSAG-Broadcast-Channel
- Receiving personal calls via PR-Messages (i.e. "send destination_call @ destination_area Msgtext....")
- Receiving local HAM-Club announcements (i.e. Club-evenings/meetings, events, etc.) - especially interesting for visitors travelling through the country finding connections to the local HAM-Club
- Receiving local weather informations
- Receiving DX-WWV-informations
- Receiving digipeater/BBS-state-informations (useful for Sysops)
- and more...
- What is a pager and what are the features modifying it for HAM-Radio use ? - Click here !
- How a Pager is working you will see here.
- Screensnapshots of my Powerpoint-Presentation for advertising the Pagerproject - Click here !
- here is a collection of bulletins published in our local packet-radio network - Click here !
- Planet Pager - Pager, Services, Call-by-Call und Telekommunikation - here you'll find all Pagersystems available in DL compared to each other - Click here !
- Links to other pages with informations about pagers and technicques (and also codes...) - Click here !
- Description of the POCSAG-Protocol - Click here ! (n.a.)
- How to get an official licence for a SAMS-Transmitter here in Germany - Click here !
- Suitable Transmitters for POCSAG, Instructions for modifying - Click here !
- presentation about HAM-Paging (at "Distriktsversammlung Württemberg 2002") - Click here !
Informations about the Pagerproject of P06-Ludwigsburg HAM-Club:
- Project-Status-Report (08.07.99)
- Project-Status-Report (14.07.99)
- Project-Status-Report (01.08.99)
- Project-Status-Report (13.08.99)
- Actual XTAL-Ordering-listing (14.08.99)
- Project-Status-Report (26.09.99)
- Project-Status-Report (06.10.99)
- Preisausschreiben (22.10.99)
- Project-Status-Report (31.10.99)
- Project-Status-Report (04.11.99)
- Measurements and results (pictures) at preliminary DB0LX POCSAG-TX (13.11.99)
- Project-Status-Report (04.12.99)
- Project-Status-Report (29.12.99)
- Project-Status-Report (25.01.00)
- Project-Status-Report (17.02.00)
- next SAMS-presentation at neighbour-HAM-Club P51
- SAMS-Pager-Ordering-List (09.03.00)
- Project-Status-Report (20.06.00)
- Project-Status-Report (28.06.00)
- Project-Status-Report (29.06.00)
- Project-Status-Report (15.07.00)
- Project-Status-Report (19.07.00)
- Project-Status-Report (20.07.00)
- Project-Status-Report (21.07.00)
- Project-Status-Report (27.08.00)
- Project-Status-Report (02.09.00)
- Project-Status-Report (01.10.00)
- Project-Status-Report (03.01.01)
- Project-Status-Report (03.03.01)
- RPC-Card Setup Description (17.03.01)
Modifying Pagers for HAM-Radio usage:
How to Setup the RPC-Card (Radio-POCSAG-Controller)
- How to modify a Memo-Express-Pager for HAM-Radio usage (Adacom-Magazine 12/98) - Click here !
- How to modify a Skyper-(NEC21a)-Pager for HAM-Radio usage - Click here !
- Receiverperformance-measurements at Skyper and Quix-Pagers - especially concerning Skyper without SAW-Frontendfilter !
- Click here for getting a list of pagers available on the german market. If the pagers are already successfully modified for HAM-Radio use you will find infos also in this comparison sheet.
- XTALs are available at different manufacturers. We purchased our XTALs at Klove who supplied good quality for a good price also at low quantities. For actual offers please get in contact with them directly.
The RPC-Card is a µController-Card based on 80C552 which can be connected together with a digipeater (i.e. RMNC).
It can be controlled by a master and supports Time Division Multiplex in a complete Pagernetwork.
Here is a complete instruction setup how to install and configure the RPC-Card !
More information and description can be found on the Adacom-Homepage.
Developer of the RPC-Card is Klaus Hennemann (DL3KHB).
Programs for De-/Encoding POCSAG-Transmissions (i.e. testing modified pagers):
- click here for downloading a POCSAG-encoder (only DOS !), PE.EXE V1.01
- click here for downloading a POCSAG-encoder (only DOS), PE.EXE V3.00 including Beacon-Software (V15.08.99)
- Link for downloading POC32 (POCSAG-En/Decoding-Software)
- Link to the ARAMIS-Page (Alphanumeric-Radio-Amateur-Information-System)
Informations on this page are from several HAM's who are involved in the paging-project, from magazines, from internet and from me]
 Script of the 15th. international Packet-Radio-Symposium, 17.04.-18.04.99, Darmstadt, Germany
 Script of the 14th. international Packet-Radio-Symposium, 25.04.-26.04.98, Darmstadt, Germany
 Adacom Magazin 10/1997
 Adacom Magazin 12/1998
 Bulletins of PR-BBS'es, Board "Funkruf"
 Documentation of Chaos Computer Club, POCSAG-Protokoll
back to Homepage of Oliver A. Durm
accesses to this page (since 03.05.99)
This page is made with OS/2 - WARP4 !