P.O. Box 3174
Pearland, Texas 77588-3174
2005 Steering Committee Members
John Emmett Donovan firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Donovan email@example.com
Pat Reardon firstname.lastname@example.org
Each of them is open to ideas, suggestions etc. Please do not hesitate to contact them directly.
November 2nd – 12th – Take a survey to help plan a better Gathering. Even if you are not planning on attending – your input is important and appreciated. Gathering Survey
November 27th – 10a.m. – 1 p.m. Massachusetts Group meeting in Boston. Location –Irish Cultural Centre. Light lunch will be served. Please let me know if you will be attending so we get enough food and enough handouts.
July 5th – 9th 2005 – 2nd Worldwide O’Donovan Clan Gathering.
Want to arrange for a local meeting in your area. Just let me know and I will include the info in the next issue or notify everyone in your area if it happens between issues. I do have some event space currently unused at the Hotel. If you are interested in organizing an event (for example, all New Zealanders meet for 2 hours or all those having trouble doing research in South America) let me know and we will see if something can be worked out. We might as well make the best use of the space we have.
Any group that wants to organize/host an event inside the hotel should contact Regina for space availability. There are some rooms at some times that are not yet being utilized. Want to get all the people from Canada or Australia or California together? Want to talk about research techniques? Just let me know what you have in mind and I will check for available space.
Fundraising/Donations – I have had many requests for the t-shirts from the first Gathering as well as the booklets. In order to kick off the fundraising efforts for 2005 I have had a few more shirts done up and gotten some of the booklets as well. Please contact me for availability and pricing. As for donations, securing a central location for 2005 will require more cash than we had over from last time. Anyone able to help even a little will be gratefully acknowledged in the upcoming issues. All mail can be addressed to the P.O. Box listed above.
Regina Donovan email@example.com
Events for 2005
We had more ideas than people to assign them to so below you will find all the ideas. Those that have someone working on them have the contact name listed as well. If you are interested in helping with that event, please contact the person listed. If you can help with any non-assigned ideas, please contact the editor for current available information. If you can help or have ideas for any of the events already assigned, please contact the person listed.
1. Opening Ceremonies at Castle Island – Carol Donovan firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Lectures - John Emmett Donovan email@example.com Plan for some Ancient history that specifically includes our clan, some history or our contributions to our Faith and to our countries. We certainly are going to present the best speakers we can find to guide us to the best sources for our own genealogies, on all continents. There will be at least one day, two three-hour sessions, at the hotel. Some groups may be small, some as large as 300.
3. Jeanie Johnston - Andrea Donovan firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Kennedy Library Tour/Event - Andrea Donovan email@example.com
5. O'Donovan Rossa Presentation – this exhibit will be at the Boston College Library – suggestions etc. - Martha Alhquist firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Registration - Regina Donovan email@example.com I will need help with handing out ticket/info packets at registration/selling t-shirts etc./manning check in tables at the larger events etc. I plan to keep each volunteer only a few hours so it will not interfere with too many other activities
7. Booklet - Advertising/Gathering Program/Directory of Worldwide Donovan’s etc. - Pat Reardon firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Reserve space at the Esplanade for July 4th for those who come to town early Pat Reardon email@example.com
9. Morning walk/run Running/Walking Groups will meet every morning in the Cambridge Marriott hotel lobby. A Donovan familiar with the downtown Boston area will provide copies of local exercise routes that range from 1 mile to 6 miles. People can join one of several groups depending on the distance and pace they want to go that day. Information will also be provided about other exercise options for other times/days (e.g., walking tours, renting bicycles, renting roller blades, etc.). Even if you prefer to exercise on your own feel free to stop down to pick up an information flyer and meet some other fitness oriented Donovan's! Colleen Donovan firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Old Town Trolley Tours of Boston - you set the pace, get on and off as you please with an all day pass. Trolley will pick up right outside the hotel. Regina Donovan email@example.com
11. Great Blue Hill Hike on the outskirts of Boston! Get a view of the city skyline and get some cardio exercise. We'll hike a portion of the skyline trail to the top of Buck Hill. Three-hour hike will be from 9am till noon. You must be in good shape to join us, as there are some strenuous portions of the hike. Joe & Beth Donovan firstname.lastname@example.org
12. Boston Harbor Sunset Cruise - you and 499 other Clan Members tour the city from the water as the sun sets. Kathleen Lyons email@example.com
13. Closing Ceremonies – Michael O’Donovan firstname.lastname@example.org
14. Seated dinner at the Hotel Kathleen Lyons email@example.com
15. Lexington/Concord/Whale Watching Tour – Terrance Donovan firstname.lastname@example.org
16. Boston Area Merchants Sponsorships/Donations.
17. Day tour to visit Famine Memorial in New York City & Ellis Island (see web site in related links)
18. Day event touring the Lowell area -
19. Day trip to Hyannis to view the Kennedy Compound.
20. Fund Raising
21. Day Tour of Boston via the "Duck Boat/Bus".
22. Bike tour of the Boston Area.
23. Afternoon sail on the Charles River
24. Tour of MIT's Aeronautical School
25. Day bus trip to Yankee Candle Factory
26. Day trip to Foxwoods Casino
27. Boston Red Sox - assuming there is a home game during the Gathering.
28. We will need live music for one or more of these events - any ideas?
29. George's Island - Boston Harbor, which is the site of a still extant Civil War fort with a very interesting history.
30. Deer Island - at the end of the Winthrop peninsula, has a burial ground for many Irish who died of typhus and other diseases upon their arrival in Boston. Look into getting a historian who could take people on a tour of the site.
31. Souvenirs - for example - fold up lawn chairs, T-shirts, bags, golf shirts etc.
32. What is your idea?
Central Location for 2005
I have arranged for a group rate for those attending the Gathering at the Boston Marriott Cambridge. The discounted rate is $99 per night plus tax. The rate is good from 7/3/05 – 7/9/05 so feel free to show up early or stay late. There are a limited number of rooms blocked out at this rate so make your reservation as early as you can. As of 10-7-04 15% of the available rooms had been booked so I encourage you to make your reservations as quickly as possible. The events that I already know will either take place at or leave from the hotel include – Running/Walking Groups, Registration, Old Town Trolley, Opening Ceremonies, Lectures, Lexington/Concord Tour, Seated Dinner, and the Duck Tours. It is obviously the place to be if you are coming from out of town.
There are a few suites available in the hotel for $450 per night (regularly $600/night). They have two different types, hospitality and executive. The hospitality suites have a boardroom table and a sitting area with a Murphy bed (in the wall). The executive suites have a sitting area and dry bar with French doors into the sleeping room with bathroom attached. In order to book these you will need to call the hotel and speak to a person.
I will be keeping a list of those who cannot get into the hotel for the discounted rate. If this is the case, please let me know what nights and I will e-mail you if space becomes available. I may be able to get the hotel to give us more rooms at the discounted rate, or someone else may change/cancel their reservation.
If you want to call the hotel:
877-901-2080 and ask for the Clan O’Donovan block. They are there 24 hours a day so no worry about the time difference.
If you want to book online follow these simple steps:
Ä Go to http://www.marriott.com/
Ä Select Boston/MA
Ä Select Boston Cambridge Center Marriott, click on Make Reservations
Ä Choose Dates for your check-in and check-out
Ä Scroll Down and enter the 7-letter code under “Group Code”
Ä YOUR CODE IS: CLOCLOA
Ä Click on “Check Rates & Availability”
Ä Click on “Reserve It” to make your reservation
Ä Complete the requires fields in the online reservation form
***Please note that a credit card number is required in all bookings
If you attempt to book a reservation that begins prior to the start of the group (7/3/05), you will receive a message “INVALID ARRIVAL DATE FOR GROUP.” If you attempt to make a reservation staying beyond the dates of the room block (7/9/05), you will receive a message, “INPUT END DATE PAST MINI END DATE.” You will need to call the hotel direct to check on rates and availability for dates before and/or after the conference. Since room blocks tend to sell out, I strongly recommend you make your reservation for the dates of the conference and then call the hotel to add extra days.
Reservations for 2005 Events
I am planning on beginning to take reservations for individual events January 3rd of 2005. This is far enough out that we will be able to meet our commitments to bus companies, caterers etc. but not so far out that the average attendee will be unsure about attending. Individual event costs will be published in the January 2nd issue of the newsletter to help facilitate your choosing which events to attend.
A great idea for Holiday gifts. I will take and send pre-orders until May 1st of 2005 and after that, you can purchase them during the event itself. Below is what will be on the golf shirts and can be ordered on either a Red or a Kelly green shirt (please specify). The T-shirts are all red will say “DONOVAN/CLAN REUNION/BOSTON, MA 2005” in white lettering. The T-shirts are the same brand as last time (Hanes Beefy-T’s).
Okay, the shirts –
1. All proceeds go to help pay the costs of the 2005 Gathering. This will help us to keep the cost of tickets to individual events down.
2. T-shirts – available in red with white lettering “Donovan/Clan Reunion/Boston, MA 2005”. The shirts are the same Hanes Beefy-T’s 100% cotton that we used last time. Children’s S, M, L; Adults S, M, L, XL are $15 each with S&H in the US $3 for first shirt and additional $2 for each after that. Adults XXL are $18 (same shipping) and XXXL are $19 (same shipping). Anyone ordering more than three shirts (including the golf shirts) at the same time for delivery to the same address contact me for discounted S&H costs. Please be sure to include shipping address.
3. Golf Shirts - available in either Emerald Green or Bright Red (please be sure to specify) with the logo below on the left chest. Men’s Cotton Pique 6.5 oz 100% cotton. Taped welt collar and welt cuffs. Two button with pearlized buttons. Double-needle stitched hemmed bottom. Sizes – S, M, L, & XL are $35 each. 2X, 3X & 4X please contact me for prices. Women’s Cotton Pique 6.5 oz 100% cotton. Taped welt collar and welt cuffs. Four button with pearlized buttons. Double-needle stitched hemmed bottom. Sizes – S, M, L, & XL are $35 each. 2X, 3X please contact me for prices. S&H is $3.50 for first shirt and additional $2.25 for each after that. Anyone ordering more than three shirts (including t-shirts) at the same time for delivery to the same address contact me for discounted S& H costs. Please be sure to include shipping address.
4. I do still have some of the 2000 t-shirts and a couple of the golf shirts still available along with the booklet that was done for the 2000 Gathering. Please contact if interested for availability and pricing.
5. You can e-mail your order and pay via paypal (paypal.com credit cards not accepted) to email@example.com or Mail order along with check or money order in US dollars to Regina Donovan; P.O. Box 3174; Pearland, TX 77588-3174
My husband recently learned that he is a Donovan (was adopted at birth). We are trying to locate a female Donovan who was born in Massachusetts in 1950 or 1951, and may have attended college in California during 1969. Any help would be appreciated.
Lorna Maxwell firstname.lastname@example.org
William & Mary Donovan
I am wondering if my husband’s family is in relation to yours. There is a William and Mary Donovan that came from County Cork, Ireland in 1847 and moved to Arthur, Canada. Their son, John Donovan, born in Country Cork, Ireland moved to Arthur also. His son, David Donovan born in Arthur (4/25/1872) moved in 1885 from Guelph Canada to the Dakota Territory and clamed land in Brown Country near the city Hecla South Dakota. This is the farthest back info. I have. I am having trouble finding more.
April Nix email@example.com
Boston Area Pictures
I would like to help people begin to become familiar with the Boston area, the sites and attractions that are there to visit. If you have any digital pictures of places and events that you would like to share, please e-mail them to me and I will endeavor to put them on the website to help the visiting segment of the Clan that will be there in July. Thanks so much for your help.
Regina Donovan firstname.lastname@example.org
published a number of books over the last ten years and some of them would be of
interest to anyone studying O’Donovan History. We are offering three books
together at a specially reduced rate. The Castles and Fortified Houses of
The books are listed along with my other titles and some antiquarian volumes on my pages at http://www.abebooks.com/
Michael J Carroll
I have been at this for more than six years now and have heard from hundreds of families. The following is a list of "Lost Friends". Perhaps they changed their addresses or I just did not copy them well. In any event, if you are one of the listed or know of any of them please let me know how to reach them. If you send me updated information, please include the old e-mail address so I update the correct person.
1. ?, Cindy email@example.com
2. Barnet, Murray firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Barsanti, Gregory & Janice R. email@example.com
4. Butler, Kimberly firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Campbell, Mary email@example.com
6. Ciriello, Marie firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Donovan, Brian email@example.com
8. Donovan, Chris firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Donovan, Daniel email@example.com
10.Donovan, David firstname.lastname@example.org
11.Donovan, Deirdre email@example.com
12.Donovan, Eddie firstname.lastname@example.org
13.Donovan, Eileen email@example.com
14.Donovan, Elaine firstname.lastname@example.org
15.Donovan, Ellen M. email@example.com
16.Donovan, H. firstname.lastname@example.org
17.Donovan, James Patrick email@example.com
18.Donovan, Janelle firstname.lastname@example.org
19.Donovan, Jennifer email@example.com
20.Donovan, Jerome E. firstname.lastname@example.org
21.Donovan, Jim & Mary W. email@example.com
22.Donovan, Joe firstname.lastname@example.org
23.Donovan, John Daniel email@example.com
24.Donovan, John J. firstname.lastname@example.org
25.Donovan, Joseph D. email@example.com
26.Donovan, Katie Elizabet firstname.lastname@example.org
27.Donovan, Kevin KEVIN_DONOVAN@SUTH.COM
28.Donovan, Kevin T. email@example.com
29.Donovan, Lawrence L. firstname.lastname@example.org
30.Donovan, Lucas email@example.com
31.Donovan, Mark firstname.lastname@example.org
32.Donovan, Matthew email@example.com
33.Donovan, Michael firstname.lastname@example.org
34.Donovan, Michael email@example.com
35.Donovan, Michael firstname.lastname@example.org
36.Donovan, Michael E. email@example.com
37.Donovan, Mike & Sue firstname.lastname@example.org
38.Donovan, Norman Jeremiah Joseph email@example.com
39.Donovan, Patricia firstname.lastname@example.org
40.Donovan, Peggy email@example.com
41.Donovan, Peter firstname.lastname@example.org
42.Donovan, Richard email@example.com
43.Donovan, Ryan firstname.lastname@example.org
44.Donovan, Shannon email@example.com
45.Donovan, Shaun firstname.lastname@example.org
46.Donovan, Steve email@example.com
47.Donovan, Tom firstname.lastname@example.org
48.Donovan-Calhoun, Jennifer email@example.com
49.Donovan-Eadie, Jacqueline firstname.lastname@example.org
50.Donovan-Punohu, Anne Marie email@example.com
51.Donovan Jr., Bernard T. firstname.lastname@example.org
52.Donovan Jr., Francis V. email@example.com
53.Donovan Jr., James Patrick firstname.lastname@example.org
54.Dugan, Joy email@example.com
55.Garrett, Nicola firstname.lastname@example.org
56.Girouard, Bob & Irene email@example.com
57.Gonzales, Marcella firstname.lastname@example.org
58.Hoskinson, George Donovan email@example.com
59.Keeney, Kevin firstname.lastname@example.org
60.Lewellyn, George & Lorraine email@example.com
61.Moreth, Jerry & Judy Donovan firstname.lastname@example.org
62.Morrison, Sue Strout email@example.com
63.Myrick-Barnett, Belinda firstname.lastname@example.org
64.O’Brien, Doris Donovan email@example.com
65.O’Donovan, Bill & Mary firstname.lastname@example.org
66.O’Donovan, Mick email@example.com
67.O’Donovan, Tammy firstname.lastname@example.org
68.O’Hara, Catherine email@example.com
69.Osborne, David firstname.lastname@example.org
70.Peltosalo, Edward Boxstrom email@example.com
71.Ryan, Tara firstname.lastname@example.org
72.Schadler, Lori email@example.com
73.Schlosser, Charlotte firstname.lastname@example.org
74.Squires, Jeanette email@example.com
75.Tanner, Geoff firstname.lastname@example.org
76.Taylor, Susan email@example.com
77.Tramba, Dana Dee Donovan firstname.lastname@example.org
78.Watson, Lea Donovan email@example.com
79.Westley, Monica Shiel firstname.lastname@example.org
80.Wethewax, Carolyn email@example.com
81.Wilson, Jeffrey Lee firstname.lastname@example.org
82. Wooten, Kathy email@example.com
These sites are run by Donovan’s and for Donovan’s
Donovan Web Site Donovan Website – photos from 1st Gathering, Chat Rooms etc.
J. Randy Dunavan Family Tree info for Randy Dunavan
Janelle Donovan - Singer/Songwriter. Includes her biography, song clips and her upcoming schedule.
Michael O'Donovan General history of the Clan as well as a personal tree of the web master
O'Donovan's Hotel Site of one of the functions during the 1st Clan Gathering
The O'Donovan Brief history of the current Chief
Regina Donovan Family Tree info for Regina Donovan
Austin O'Donovan Author of two books about Limerick City
Donal O'Shaughnessy features a
database of Irish songs at http://www.irishsongs.com/archive.asp The database
browsed by clicking on a letter link, your can see the entire database by selecting all. If you'd rather search there's a simple keyword search.
Each title links to its lyrics, and
the ones with the sound icons are downloadable as Real audio files. (Sometimes
the whole song; "All For Me Grog" was a sixteen-second snippet.)
Now is the time to begin thinking about what
you can do to help make the 2005 Gathering even better. Do you know local
merchants in the area that might be willing to donate money/facility for an
event or in return for advertising? Do you know a singer/band that might donate
their time? Have a fundraising idea? Have your own idea for an event? Do you know someone who does silk
screening of T-shirts, makes buttons or makes something else we might use as
souvenirs? We might as well give the money to a Clan Member. Want to help the
Gathering be the best it can be? Volunteer a few hours to an event that
interests you. Contact the listed part directly or contact me and I can put you
together with who needs help. Interested in picking a time and a place for Clan
Members in your area to get together? Let me (or one of the Steering Committee
The next issue will be up January 2nd and will be the last one prior to the Gathering that will include anything other than information directly related to the Gathering. I will be happy to hold onto requests for help and other articles for publication in the August issue. Beginning in February, the newsletter will be dedicated to the Gathering itself – how many tickets for events are still available, Q & A and suggestions about Boston and the Gathering etc. Deadline for article submission is December 13th.