Location: Go west out of Palmer about one mile,
turn north and go about a half mile.
Cemetery is large, will be on right.
The map and directory are an Eagle Scout project of Adam Pelican, completed in 2003. The information in the directory was compiled by Vicki Ramold, village clerk, from information found in cemetery records, obituaries, and inscribed on monuments, and was transcribed by Linda Berney. Maiden names, marriage dates and military service information are included when known. According to local lore, the cemetery was named for the wild roses that grew on the sandy hills in the northwest part of the cemetery. Following is a history of the cemetery, as submitted by Orville Nicholas, and published in the Palmer Centennial Book published in 1987 by the Journal Print Shop, reprinted with permission of the publisher:
“In pioneer days, the dead were buried on a hill in the back field or in the corner of a field.
On December 10, 1873, Sellissa M. Alspaugh died and her parents, B. & S. Alspaugh (engraved on stone), gave title to the property that constitutes Rose Hill Cemetery for a burying ground. Before family plots were set out, the dead were buried in a row as they died. Some plots would accommodate twelve burials, some six and later, some only two.
Near the turn of the century, iron gates were installed at the west center.
Descendants were expected to care for the graves and lots of their deceased. Some were well cared for and some received no care.
For many years, the American Legion sponsored an annual cleanup day in May.
The sale of perpetual care was introduced in October, 1941, at fifty dollars per lot, with only the interest to be used each year. Now, perpetual care is sold with each lot before interment can be made.
In 1952 a new, decorative fence was installed along the west side. Some questioned the necessity of a fence around a cemetery, claiming that “those buried there cannot leave and those outside do not want in.”
Finding that the cemetery was within Palmer city limits in 1977, Palmer started contributing $500 per year toward upkeep.
We do not know where Mr. and Mrs. Alspaugh were buried, but apparently they were not returned to the cemetery they had given.
In 1984, Steve Retzlaff developed his Eagle Scout project around the flagpole, and in 1985, the board bought Austrian pine trees and set them along the west side of the cemetery.
The board completed the puchase of property known as Lot 10, consisting of 10.75 acres east and north of the original ten acres. The lot was purchased for $3,577.50 from the Stouter Estate.
The project by the American Legion, Post 120, “Aisle of Flags” at the cemetery (described in Burton-Beyer Post 120 history) is part of the reason why we believe we have one of the most beautiful cemeteries in this part of Nebraska, considering that we do not irrigate.”
Palmer Cemetery Extraction by Linda Berney 2004
Thank you Linda
Pictures of the Rose Hill Cemetery Map take by Larry Coates
Pictures provided by Herb Brown - Jun 2003 - Thank you!
© 2000-'04 for NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller