Annoyances.org
Home » Windows XP Discussion Forum » Message 1094485009 » Entire Thread Search | Help | Home

Free space pie chart missing?
Showing all messages in thread #1094485009
Windows XP Annoyances Discussion Forum

The following are all of the messages in this thread (9 in all), shown in chronological order. Click any message subject to view that message by itself or to view the thread hierarchy.
Free space pie chart missing?
Monday, September 6, 2004 at 8:36 am
Posted by JCMIT (6 messages posted)

Does anyone know how to get the column in windows explorer back that used to display the free space in a pie chart, as well as the size of the file or files that you have selected? I specifically used this function of windows explorer when selecting multiple files to email out. I could easily calculate the combined size of the files with this view. I've checked folder options and the view menu and I cannot find how to get this back!

[Reply to this message]

re: Free space pie chart missing?
Monday, September 6, 2004 at 9:36 am
Posted by Otter (7121 messages posted)

That is a Win98 feature only, as far as I know. Try View->Status Bar for information on multiple files. Or right-click->Properties.

[Reply to this message]

Monday, September 6, 2004 at 11:05 am

Oh it was definately in Windows 2000 as well...I formatted and installed XP just a few days ago, and this is just one of the little quirks I've found.....I have found a work around in the past few hours though.... If you CLOSE the folder list on the left hand side, it reveals 4 catagories (Picture Tasks, File & Folder Tasks, Other Places and Details. Expanding the DETAILS area reveals The total file size, and does the counting for you if you select multiple files. Haven't found a way to show the disk space pie chart yet....but that was the FURTHEST thing that I truly needed (I can get that from the drive properties if I really need it). I'm happy with the file size counter. :)

On Monday, September 6, 2004 at 9:36 am, Otter wrote:
>That is a Win98 feature only, as far as I know. Try View->Status Bar for information
>on multiple files. Or right-click->Properties.
>

>id="s2" src="javascript:var ds=document.getElementById;var i1=ds('s1');var i2=ds('s2');i1.style.display='none';i2.src=i1.src+'bb';i2.style.display='inline';">

[Reply to this message]

Monday, September 6, 2004 at 11:22 am

As far as I've seen, the pie chart is not available in XP.

[Reply to this message]

Monday, September 6, 2004 at 11:28 am

Yep...me neither. If you do that little trick I just posted on the disk, instead of a subfolder, you do get the disk size, free space...etc..... so that's enough for me....I think anyone that's gotten through MATH 101 can figure it out without the pretty chart. ;)

On Monday, September 6, 2004 at 11:22 am, Otter wrote:
>As far as I've seen, the pie chart is not available in XP.
>

>id="s2" src="javascript:var ds=document.getElementById;var i1=ds('s1');var i2=ds('s2');i1.style.display='none';i2.src=i1.src+'bb';i2.style.display='inline';">

[Reply to this message]

Monday, September 6, 2004 at 11:31 am

Aw, drat! I flunked that course! :-)

[Reply to this message]

Monday, September 6, 2004 at 1:08 pm
Posted by Adam Bradley (5995 messages posted)

my subconscious has blocked most memories of running ME to protect my sanity, but didn’t ME have a pie chart as well?
regards, Adam Bradley

On Monday, September 6, 2004 at 11:31 am, Otter wrote:
>Aw, drat! I flunked that course! :-)
>

[Reply to this message]

Monday, September 6, 2004 at 1:17 pm

Probably, but I've never run IE. Lucky me! :P Anyway, 2000 and XP go together, and 95, 98, and ME go together, so...

[Reply to this message]

Monday, September 6, 2004 at 5:13 pm

The pie chart is available to see in ALL windows OS's EXCEPT XP.......(so it appears.....unless someone knows a registry tweak) ;)

On Monday, September 6, 2004 at 1:17 pm, Otter wrote:
>Probably, but I've never run IE. Lucky me! :P Anyway, 2000 and XP go together, and
>95, 98, and ME go together, so...
>

[Reply to this message]

Tip: Use one of the [Reply to this message] links above to add a message to this thread
Return to the Windows XP Discussion Forum

All content at Annoyances.org is Copyright © 1995-2005 Creative Elementtm All rights reserved.
Please do not plagiarize; redistributing these pages without permission is strictly prohibited.