||1. The Town of York was renamed Toronto in 1834.
2. For a discussion of Paul Kane's life and career see J. Russell Harper, Paul Kane's Frontier, University of Toronto Press, Toronto, 1971.
3. The original 1859 publication was published in London, England by Longman, Brown, Green, Longmans, and Roberts. In 1996 the book was republished by Dover Publications, Inc., Mineola, New York.
4. Refer to I.S. MacLaren, "I came to rite thare portraits': Paul Kane's Journal of his Western Travels, 1846-1848" in The American Art Journal, Volume XXI, Number 2, pp.6-21, 1989.
5. George Willian Allan's handwritten notes pertaining to Paul Kane's life and career are in the Department of Anthropology Paul Kane Collection, Royal Ontario Museum.
6. Daniel Wilson, "Paul Kane, The Canadian Artist." The Canadian Journal of Science, Literature, and History,Volume XIII, Number 1, pp.66-72, 1871.
7. A manuscript titled "Paul Kane" by Maude Cassels was written in 1932 and is in the Department of Anthropology Paul Kane Collection, Royal Ontario Museum.