Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented level designer with experience building levels using
any of the popular 3D Real-Time Strategy game toolset (Warcraft 3, Age of Mythology, Command and Conquer, etc).
The ideal candidate has industry experience on a shipping game, or has created and distributed levels in the
fan/mod community. Level designers need to be able to create fun and interesting environments that look and
play great. Samples of your work should be submitted along with a resume and cover letter. Please include a
breakdown for each level that describes what you did (layout, modeling, textures, lighting, triggers, etc.).
If you do not have existing work, you will be required to create a level using the Warcraft 3 World Editor.
- Absolute Passion for playing and making computer games
- Experience creating levels in a 3D RTS game toolset (Warcraft 3, Age of Mythology, etc)
- Great sense for what makes a game or level fun to play
- Ability to make an interesting environment using textures, height and doodads
- Must be able to do limited scripting or use triggers within a game toolset
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to script interesting cinematic sequences using in-game art
- Experience working as a level designer in the game industry
How To Apply
All applicants must submit a map submission to be considered for this position.
If you have worked on maps in a published product, you may submit the names of the levels you worked on with your resume. You may submit 1-3 maps from any 3D RTS game for review in this manner.
For those creating a level using the Warcraft 3 WorldEditor, the applicant must submit a trigger map using the guidelines below. A trigger map is defined as being a multiplayer, trigger-intensive, non-melee map. Some examples of trigger map types would be Hero Arena battles, Tower Defense, Adventure, etc.
Maps created for submission using the Warcraft 3 WorldEditor must:
In addition to a trigger map submission, a melee multiplayer map submission is optional.
- Have at least a 10 second intro cinematic
- Be designed to be played by at least 4 players
- Have functional victory and defeat conditions
- Include use of the Warcraft quest log
- Demonstrate good use of doodads and terrain texture to make the map look organic and aesthetically pleasing
- Demonstrate strong technical ability using the trigger system
- Feature well-organized and bug-free triggers
- Contain a short story background of the map
- Be a polished, finished map
- Feature fun, balanced gameplay
To apply, please mail a cover letter, resume and level portfolio (on CD-ROM) containing your map submission(s) to:
Blizzard Human Resources
Basic Tips for Resume Submission
Attn: Jack Sterling
P.O. Box 18979
Irvine, CA 92623
No calls or e-mail, please. This is a full-time position in Irvine, California. We do not have internships available.