May 05, 2004
Third Largest Shopping Mall in the United States in 1956
Lakeside Center opened its doors for the first time in August of 1956. At the time, it was the largest merchandising center in the Rocky Mountain west and the third largest in the entire United States. The Denver Dry and King Soopers Grocery were anchors, and both were the largest of their kind in the west. Other tenants included Woolworth, Fashion Bar, White Spot and Kinney Shoes. An innovation at the time was the huge underground loading docks running the entire length of the center, more than three blocks.
In July of 1976, after twenty years of operation, a massive remodeling project added 44,000 s.f. of retail space on the lake level of the center. Stairs were replaced by escalators, and the open air pavilion was enclosed to connect the upper level of the mall. Anchor The Denver also underwent massive remodeling.
In 1983, the "Courtyard Café" was added on the lake level, as a "specialty food emporium." This redevelopment also included the remodeling of the east wing of the upper level, and the addition of a new Target store.
During the 1990s Lakeside Mall became Lakeside Center, and a new corporate façade and office space were added.
Currently, Lakeside Center is being developed as "La Plaza de Lakeside", which incorporates new anchor, Avanza Hispanic Grocer, as well as numerous other new tenants.
This summer, Lakeside Center celebrates its 47th year anniversary. We look forward to serving the community for many years to come!