Please visit MY FAVORITE LINKS
- just click on the title. Thanks for stopping by
GOD BLESS AMERICA
This page has been visited times.
THE PALATINES of New York
Researched and written
THE PALATINES, who settled in the Hudson Valley, were Germans
from the lower or Pfalz Palatinate. In 1708-09, after years of
continual religious persecution, war, and general upheavel,
they left their homes in Mainz, Treves, Loraine, Alsace, Baden,
and Wurttemberg and traveled along the Rhine River to Amsterdam,
Holland. From there they set sail for London. Some became English
citizens, others went to Ireland and about three thousand
sailed for the Colony of New York with its newly appointed
Governor, Robert Hunter.
These men were, for the most part, shopkeepers, tradesmen, and
farmers. Hunter intended to put them to work producing tar and
turpentine for the Royal Navy. The only reason they had agreed
to this was the promise of 40 acres of land each in what is
today, Schoharie County. They wanted this land so that their
children would have a means of support after they were gone.
Around Christmas Day of 1709, they left London for New York.
They were crowded together in ten ships without decent food or
sanitary conditions. When they arrived in New York on 14 Jun
1710, there was so much illness that they were detained for a
few more months on Nutten (Governors) Island.
During that time Robert Hunter discovered that, not only was
Schoharie 40 miles inland in an unbroken wilderness, but the
trees were not suitable for the production of tar and turpentine.
He then took money out of his own pocket and purchased some
six hundred acres on the Hudson River in what is today, Columbia
County. He also purchased another six hundred acres on the West
side. Although small villages were given names, names which don't
necessarily exist today, in general they were known as East and
In the Spring of 1711, the Palatines set about getting the Pine
trees ready for tapping, but the work was slowed down while 105
volunteers were enlisted for a Colonial attack on the French in
Canada. This campaign was a failure and Gov. Hunter soon discovered
that northern Pine could not produce the amount of tar and
turpentine expected so, this too was a failure.
Hunter then found that he had almost depleated his funds and was
unable to collect the money he had spent from England. Also the
Palatines were very unhappy and close to rebellion. Not knowing
what else to do, Hunter released them from their contracts and
more or less told them to fend for themselves until such time as
the Queen would require their services.
Some, still believing in the land that had been promised them,
forged a trail to Schoharie; some thirty families moved down
river to Dutchess County; a few went to or remained in the West
Camp and about three hundred remained in Livingston Manor,
JOHANNES COONRADT BERINGER (later changed to Barringer) was one
of the names that appeared on Gov. Hunter's ration list in 1710.
In 1711 and 1714, he and his wife, ANNA ELIZABETH STAHL, were
listed as parents in the baptismal records of St. Paul's Even-
gelical Church of West Camp. On 17 Jan 1715/16, He was one of the
Protestants of foreign birth who took the Oath of Allegiance to
the Colony of New York at Albany. In 1717, he and his wefe were
listed with five children at Hunterstown, East Camp.
Religion was a very important part of the lives of the Palatines.
Some were of the Lutheran faith and others, like Coonradt, were
Calvanists (Reformed). Coonradt was one of the founders of what
appears to have been the first church in Dutchess County. This
church, which housed both the Lutheran and the Reformed congre-
gations, was established at Kirchebock in 1716. The fact that
he and his wife were listed as parents in the baptismal records
of the Dutch Reformed Church at Kingston in 1722, may have been an
indication of his desire for a separate reformed church. In any
case, he was one of the members who bought out the Lutherans in
1729 and established the Reformed Protestant Church of Rhinebeck,
His name appeared on the Dutchess County tax roles in 1722 as
Johannes Berenger, sevemaker. A couple of years later, he was
listed as Johannes Counradt Perenger. On 5 Jul 1734, he purchased
one hundred and three acres of land from Colonel Henry Beekman.
He also purchased an adjoining tract of twenty-five acres from
Catryn Rutsen. This property was in the North Ward of Rhinebeck
Precinct, Dutchess County.
JOHANNES COONRADT BERINGER (BARRINGER) and his wife, ANNA ELISABETH
STAHL had the following children:
1-MARIA ELISABETH m. JOHANNES HENRICH SCHAFFER
2-FREDERICK m. ANNA MARGARET ZUFELD (my ancestor)
3-JOHANNES HENDRICH m. ELISABETH BEST
4-CATHARINA m. JACOB BEST, JR.
5-JACOB m. ANNA GERTRUDE SCHNEIDER
6-ANNA MARIA m. GOTTFRIED GISELBRECHT (Kisselbrecht)