Map Reference :
Access:- 4 Miles
NE of Laurencekirk. Off
Fourdon was built as
a two-runway satellite for Peterhead. No 2 FIS of Montrose kept a flight
here from November 1942 to September 13 1944, these were mainly Oxfords.
Fourdon was selected
to take part in Operation Tyndall and to which dummy Bostons were used.
Tyndall was an operation set up during the summer of 1943 to deceive
the Germans into thinking that there was still a serious threat from
the RAF to Norwegian based units.
1632 Flight was based
at Fourdon in 1943 and became part of the newly formed 598 Squadron
on 1st December 1943. Flying was stopped in March 1944 because the Runways
were cracking badly. After repairs, the third planned runway was scrapped.
The War Department was
given Fourdon on loan from December 1944.
Fourdon was opened for
Private Flying in May 1965, a Flying club was set up in 1967. The site
is now used for Storage of Oil Industry equipment, the runways and blister
hangers are still visible, as is various building around the airfield.
What's left: -
[return to top]