For Immediate Release
Contact: The Lippin Group/(323) 965-1990
Bollinger Associates/(818) 784-0534
"BLOW" RECEIVES TOP HONORS AT 6th ANNUAL PRISM AWARDSTM
LOS ANGELES, May 9, 2002 "Blow," starring Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz, received the PRISM Award in the Theatrical Feature Film category at the 6th Annual PRISM AwardsTM which were held at CBS Television City today. Other PRISMs were awarded to ABC's "My Wife and Kids” and "All My Children," Lifetime's "The Division," NBC's "Third Watch,” and ABC's "Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows." A PRISM also went to Ozzy Osbourne for his song "Junkie" in the Music Recording or Music Video category, one of two new categories to receive a PRISM this year. Independent films "Acts of Worship" and "Smoke and Mirrors: A History of Denial" were the recipients of the other new category, the PRISM Film Festival Award which is presented to films that have not yet been released but are playing the festival circuit. In total, fourteen winners were selected out of 56 nominees and 236 submissions.
Penelope Cruz presented a special tribute to director Ted Demme as part of the “Blow” feature film nod. Demme’s wife Amanda accepted on behalf of the late filmmaker. Radio legend Casey Kasem, the voice of the PRISM Awards, introduced the new music category, and Meredith Brooks performed the song “Shine” from her upcoming album.
Additional presenters included Thora Birch, David Carradine, Erika Christensen, Barbara Eden, Donald Faison, Denis Leary, Kelly Lynch, Christopher McDonald, Lou Diamond Phillips, Dr. Drew Pinsky, Danny Trejo, Jim Turner, and Julie Warner. The ceremony was taped for national syndication by Tribune Entertainment and will air in August.
The PRISM Awards, which honor the accurate depiction of drug, alcohol and tobacco use and addiction in television, feature film, music, and comic book entertainment, are presented by the Entertainment Industries Council, Inc. (EIC) in partnership with The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)/National Institutes of Health.
Recipients of the 6th Annual PRISM Awards were:
THEATRICAL FEATURE FILM
- Blow (New Line Cinema/Apostle Pictures/Spanky Productions)
PRISM FILM FESTIVAL AWARD (TIE)
- Acts of Worship (Manifesto Films/Worship Productions)
- Smoke and Mirrors: A History of Denial
TV COMEDY SERIES EPISODE
- My Wife and Kids - "Grassy Knoll" (Touchstone Television/ABC Entertainment)
TV DRAMA SERIES EPISODE
- The Division - "Intervention" (Viacom Productions/Lifetime Television)
TV DRAMA SERIES MULTI-EPISODE STORYLINE
- Third Watch - "Bobby's Death" (Warner Bros. Television/John Wells Prods./NBC Entertainment)
TV DAYTIME DRAMA SERIES EPISODE OR STORYLINE
- All My Children - "Ecstasy and Agony: Laura's Trip" (ABC Daytime)
TV MOVIE, MINISERIES OR DRAMATIC SPECIAL
- Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (Alliance Atlantis Television/Storyline Entertainment/IN-Motion AND GO Movie and TV Productions/ABC Entertainment)
TV CHILDREN'S SERIES EPISODE OR SPECIAL
- In The Mix - "Ecstasy" (Castle Works, Inc./Public Broadcasting Service)
TV DOCUMENTARY OR NEWSMAGAZINE SERIES EPISODE OR SPECIAL
- True Life - "I Can't Breathe" (MTV News & Documentaries/Arnold Worldwide/Massachusetts Department of Public Health/MTV Network)
TV TALK SHOW SERIES EPISODE
- The Ananda Lewis Show - "Clearing the Air: Christy Turlington Talks About Smoking" (King World Productions)
TV BIOGRAPHICAL REALITY SERIES EPISODE OR SPECIAL
- Biography -"Charlie Sheen: Born to Be Wild" (Van Ness Films/Arts & Entertainment Network)
MUSIC RECORDING OR MUSIC VIDEO
- Junkie - Ozzy Osbourne (Epic Records/Sony Music Entertainment)
TV COMMUNITY SERVICE EFFORT
- CBS Cares (CBS Television Network)
PRISM Commendations and Certificates of Merit were given to the remaining nominees and other productions in each category. A complete list can be found at www.prismawards.com.
EIC is a non-profit organization founded in 1983 by the entertainment industry to lead the industry in bringing its power and influence to bear on health and social issues. It's website is located at www.eiconline.org.
NIDA, an institute of the National Institutes of Health, supports 85% of the world’s research on the health aspects of drug abuse and addiction, and carries out a large variety of programs to ensure the rapid dissemination of research information and its implementation on policy and practice. Its website is located at www.drugabuse.gov
The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, based in Princeton, New Jersey, is the nation's largest philanthropy devoted exclusively to health and health care. Its goal areas include: to reduce the personal, social and economic harm caused by substance abuse - tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drugs. Its website is located at www.rwjf.org.
Tribune Entertainment Company, a subsidiary of Tribune Broadcasting Company, produces and distributes an extensive slate of programming, including the weekly action/adventure hours "Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict," "Beastmaster," and "Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda." Tribune's website is located at www.tribune.com. Tribune Broadcasting owns and operates 22 major market television stations, including national superstation WGN-TV, and reaches more than 75% of the U.S. television households, including cable and satellite coverage.
< Back to Press Releases Main Page