Otago Early Settlers Museum, Dunedin
|Wheel Arrangement:||4-8-2||Builder:||NZR Hillside|
|Weight:||111.2 tonnes||Builder's Number:||397|
Ja 1274 was the last of 35 Ja class locomotives built by the NZR, which were a locally built (and virtually identical) version of the earlier J class (not to be confused with the J class of 1874). It was also the very last steam locomotive to be built for the NZR. Ja 1274 spent most of its relatively short working life based in Dunedin, near the workshops where it was built. When it was withdrawn it was gifted to the City of Dunedin, and they placed the last steam locomotive to be acquired by the NZR on display in a glass shelter outside the Otago Early Settlers Museum, next to the double-fairlie Josephine. The photo shows Ja 1274 at Hillside Workshops, Dunedin, in 1975 before moving to its current residence outside the Museum.
Ja 1260 is one of 6 Ja class locomotives preserved, the others being Ja 1240, Mainline Steam; Ja 1250, Glenbrook Vintage Railway; Ja 1260, Plains Railway; Ja 1267, Waikato Railway Museum; and Ja 1271, Steam Incorporated.