The church of the Resurrection at the first municipal cenetery.
the Greek Orthodox cenetery at Garitsa, stands the church
dedicated to the Resurrection of Christ and Saints Peter and
Paul. As indicated in an inscription on the main frontage
it was built in 1840 and it is a single-nave basilica in neoclassical
style. The church is particularly remarkable for its icons
of outstanding quality, all of which were brought here from
The Monastery of the Blessed Virgin Platytera.
Monastery of the Blessed Virgin Platytera stands between the
suburbs of Sarocco and Mandouki. The church contains a number
of icons of high artistic value. It was first built in 1743
but was destroyed by the French in 1798 and rebuilt in 1801
with the aid of private subscriptions.
3. The church of the Blessed Virgin
Kassopitra at Kanoni.
This church stands in a valley full of old olive-trees
near the tip of the Kanoni peninsula. It is dedicated to the
Virgin Mary Kassopitra, a title conferred on the Blessed Virgin
in Corfu after a miracle wrought to a blind young man in the
village of Kassiopi in the 16th century. The church was first
built in 1721 and it was rebuilt in its present form in 1850.
4. The church of the Blessed Virgin
Chrysopighi at Kastellani.
This church is situated at a short distance from the village
of Kastellani, in the centre of the island. It was built in
1688 by Prospero Marini, a rich Corfiot nobleman and was restored
later by the monk Onoufrios Kyminas in 1851.
The church of the Blessed Virgin Kassiopitra at Kassiopi.
On the north-east coast of Corfu in the village
of Kassiopi, stands this church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin
of Kassiopi ('Panayia Kassiopitra'). It is built on the site
of an early Christian basilica, which in turn has been built
on the site of the temple of Jupiter Cassios. The earlier
church was destroyed by the Turks in 1537 and was rebuilt
by the Venetians as a Roman Catholic church. The church was
finally returned to the Greek Orthodox culture around the
beginning of the 17th century.
The Monastery of Mount Pantokrator.
The church of the Annunciation at Nymfes.
Monastery is situated on the island's highest peak. The mountain
took its present name of Pantokrator, after the first church
dedicated to Christ Pantokrator was built on its peak in the
14th century. According to an ancient manuscript dated 1347,
the Monastery church was built in that year. That church was
destroyed in 1537 and the present church was built at the
end of the 17th century and dedicated to the Transfiguration
In the village of Nyfes in the nothern part of the island this
small church of the Annunciation contains some note-worthy 17th
The church of the two Saints Theodore at Zygos.
The convent of the Blessed Virgin Vlacherna at Scripero.
the village of Zygos in the nothern part of the island is
the ruined church of the two Saints Theodore. The church preserves
a number of frescoes presumed to date from the 17th century.
This convent is near the village of Scripero
in the central part of the island. The church is a single-nave
basilica and dates from the 18th or early 19th century, as well
as the icons. In particular two interesting icons in the narthex
were brought here, according to the tradition, from the church
of St. Spyridon in the city of Corfu.
10. The Monastery of the Blessed
Virgin at Paleokastritsa.
The monastery of the Blessed
Virgin Mary stands on a rocky promontory on the west coast of
the island. According to the tradition the monastery was built
in the 13th century. It consists of the church in the centre,
surrounded by a complex of courtyards, rows of monks' cells,
store-rooms, oil-presses, abbot's quarters and an open terrace
and garden with a magnificent view.
The church was probably restored in the 18th century, as indicated
by the date 1722 carved on the lintel above the main doorway.
It is a single-nave basilica with a masonry iconostasis. The
monastery museum housed in a room off the main courtyard contains
a small but interesting collection of icons as well as sundry