General Brock's Mission Statement

The school will provide students with a positive, supportive and healthy learning environment in which to develop a strong feeling of self worth and learn the knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to grow and develop to their maximum potential within multicultural technological society.

School History     School Calendar      Instructional Time


 

History of General Brock School


    General Brock Elementary is made up of three buildings located on the property.  The oldest, a wood frame structure completed in 1908, had students from grade 1 to grade 8 in its 8 classrooms. At that time the school was called "Mountain View" but 3 years later it was renamed Brock. 

  The area along Main Street was one of the first to be developed at the start of the 20th century and today we still have examples in the neighbourhood of homes which have been restored to their past beauty of 90 years ago. Until the 1950's street cars used to go up 

 and down Main Street and they provided the primary source of transportation for the area. Today we still have examples in the neighbourhood of homes which have    been restored to their past beauty of 90 years ago. Until the 1950's street cars used to go up and down Main Street and they provided the primary source of transportation for the area.

    In 1921, a second wood frame building was erected to accommodate the escalating school population and an addition in 1923 was made to handle more students.  In 1955 a third building made of concrete block was
constructed to handle the baby boom following the end of World War II.  In 1967 a fire started in room 208 of the old frame building.  The room was gutted and had to be completely renovated.

    Throughout the years there have been many teachers, principals and students who have been part of Brock's history.  One of the first principal of Brock, Lieutenant Edward G. Lester, left the school during World War I and joined the Canadian force fighting in Europe.  In 1917 he was killed on the battlefield in France.

Two former students who have gone on to fame and fortune have been Jimmy Pattison and Red Robinson.
 
 

School Calendar


Instructional Time

          8:40 - 10:20a.m. :    Classes in session
        10:20 - 10:40a.m. :    Recess
        10:40 - 12:00a.m. :    Classes in session
        12:00 - 12:48p.m. :    Lunch
          1:00 -   3:00p.m. :    Classes in session

(On Friday when students are dismissed at 12:00 noon)

    The office staff is available from 8:00a.m. - 3:30p.m. daily.  Our school phone number is 604-713-5245.  Our fax number is 604-713-5247.  Students are requested to use the office phone only in an emergency.

Back To Brock Information