Many of you are aware that, in addition to getting Textpattern 1.0 ready for release, I’ve been working on setting up a webhosting service called TextDrive.
At the outset this service was designed to be the best possible host for Textpattern (indeed for all PHP/MySQL software), but has blossomed into something more: a webhost that offers the best in performance, security and stability, backed by intelligent configuration and great software.
It kicks all kinds of ass.
Now, I’ve been talking in recent weeks with piqued, twitchy venture capital people about TextDrive’s startup, and through that it’s become abundantly clear that VC is not the way to go. Startup funding is required, but not at that price.
The best scenario I can imagine is one that sees TextDrive break even (be profitable, actually) on day 1 of operation, funded only by customers. This is achievable by way of a very sweet ‘Members Circle’ offer, one which gives Textpattern users an opportunity to acquire a piece of TextDrive at its inception, and to benefit from its future success in perpetuity:
Buy a year of TextDrive now, and, hosting-wise, you’re set for life.
What you get for US $199:
- 12 months of incredibly good hosting (see below) with the top TextDrive package (1gig storage, 10gigs bandwidth, 10 domains)
- After 12 months you get the same hosting package free of charge for as long as TextDrive exists
- 50% discount on future Textpattern corporate licenses
- A Textpattern t-shirt!
- For those who trade: 10 pre-stock-split blogshares in Textpattern.com.
Click here to buy through Paypal
Click here to buy through Kagi.com
Starting June 1st, you’ll receive the keys to your new server.
Some TextDrive Specs
- Server Hardware and Operating System
- Dual and Quad Xeon Processor Dell Servers
- Hardware RAID5-arrayed hot-swap SCSI (Ultra360; 10K rpm) drives
- Live, syncronized backups to server-attached SCSI RAID arrays
- 4-8 GB RAM per server
- Space is undersold and servers are kept at < 85% capacity, generally with 20-40 GB un-reserved space. Soft quotas are enabled but we won’t charge if you temporarily go over.
- FreeBSD optimized at the kernel level for Apache, PHP and MySQL
- Network and Security
- 10-provider meshed network
- 100Mbps connections
- 100% SLA uptime agreement
- Up to 98% web bandwidth compression (get 50-100x more out of your bandwidth)
- We pre-pay for bandwidth and only charge for overages in the unlikely case that an entire server goes over.
- Mitigation of Distributed Denial of Service (DDS) attacks
- 24/7 monitoring at the service, system and process-levels
- Intrusion detection system and file-integrity checking
- Prevention of XSS, MySQL-injection and other attacks.
- Blocking of spambots, harvesters and robots
- Texpattern preinstalled and kept current (as a working copy from Textpattern-stable’s Subversion repository)
- Commercial subscriptions bundled with hosting are discounted 30%
- Web Software and Features
- Apache 2.0.latest and PHP 4.3.latest (thread-safe)
- Accelerator, optimizer, and dynamic content cache for PHP
- Urchin 5 statistics
- WebDAV mounting of your web space as a drive in Mac’s Finder (same as .Mac’s iDisk) or Window’s Network Places/Internet Folders
- WebDAV iCal sharing
- Adobe Version Cue Workspaces
- As many Subversion repositories as you might need
- Up to 10 domains
- Private, dedicated IP addresses available
- Wildcard DNS for *.your-domain.com and as many subdomains as you want
- Custom nameservers for developers: ns1.your-doman.com and ns2.your-domain.com
- MySQL 4.0.latest on dedicated database servers
- MySQL query caching
- Up to 20 MySQL databases
- Postfix SMTP with SSL, secure authorisation and furious spam/content/attachment filtering
- IMAP mail with SSL
- Webmail (IMAP)
- Each email message is an individual file in the Mail Directory of a user’s home directory.
- Number of email addresses is only limited by available space and mailboxes are allowed to be up to 1GB.
- Billed on the 1st of month.
- Prorated when signing up.