station.com Sign In / Change User Join Free Why Join? Sony Online Entertainment
  Games Community Store My Account Help
Star Wars Galaxies
Jedi
Login  ·  Help
Jump to Page:   1 · 2  |  Next Page

The Complete Guide to Lightsaber Resistant Armor, Items & Material (work in progress)   [ Edited ]
Options     
westcoastavenger
Wing Commander

PA: FALLEN
Server: Tarquinas

With all the controversy over Jedi and their lightsabers, as well as PSG's with LS resists being used with anti-decay kits,  I thought I would compile a list of everything I currently know of that is documented to withstand, abate, stop, or disrupt this weapon.  This is mostly for the fun of it and to give some of the forum posters an idea of what's out there they may not be aware of.  Should the developers not be aware of these things, it may make for some interesting reading and perhaps lend ideas to what, if any, things in the game* should have resists.

*It is just a game in the end.  I'd like to see it blend with official canon as much as possible, but a game has to be fun too.

To begin with, let's first define what a lightsaber is and how it works:

According to the description provided in the game's LIGHTSABER skill window:

A traditional Jedi weapon, it consists of a cylindrical handle in which sophisticated circuits channel a beam of light through a series of crystals.  These crystals modulate the blade's size and amplitude.  When activated, internal power cells create photoelectric energy which is focused through the crystals.  The energy is formed into a tight, parallel beam of coherent packets.  These packets are emitted through a positively-charged continous energy lens which projects the packets away from the lightsaber.  The packets are almost immediately attracted back to the lightsaber by a negatively-charged high-energy flux aperature, and then continually recycled to create the glowing blade.  The packets are recycled by a superconductor back into the power cell for re-energizing.  The entire process is completely contained.  No heat is generated and no energy is lost, since the light in the blade is recaptured.  The only energy loss occurs when the blade strikes an object causing crystal decay.

According to A Guide to the Star Wars Universe Third Edition:

The powerful yet elegant weapon of the Jedi Knights for thousands of years, these power swords project blades of pure energy capable of cutting through most materials-except for the blade of another lightsaber.  By tradition, most lightsabers are built by their users as part of their Jedi training.  Seemingly simple in design, a lightsaber has a handle about twenty-four to thirty centimeters long.  Inside, power cells and mulitfaceted Adegan crystals (jewels) produce a narrow beam of meter-long light that emerges from a concave disk atop the handle.  When activated, a lightsaber hums with power.  Considered archaic when compared to blasters and other modern weaopns, lightsabers are nonetheless impressive and powerful personal weapons that require extensive training to use effectively. 

A saber with a single jewel has a fixed amplitude and blade length.  Those with multiple jewels-usually no more than three-allow the user to alter the amplitude and change the length of the light blade or blades.  This is accomplished by rotating an exterior control that varies the distance between the jewels.  The emitted beam is arced back from its positively charged continuous energy lens to a negatively charged high-energy flux aperture set in the disk atop the handle.  The power amplitude determines the point at which the beam arcs back, thus setting the blade's length.

Ok, now we have a working understanding of what a lightsaber is from the perspective of the game and the EU.  Now let's look at what exists in the EU that can provide a measure of protection from this weapon.

This you're all probably reasonably familiar with as it was used in Timothy Zahn's Hand of Thrawn Duology.

CORTOSIS ORE-This rare material exhibits a property that shuts down lightsabers when the blade touches it.  Some Force users have made sets of body armor out of woven cortosis fibers, and Emperor Palpatine inserted it between the double walls of his private residence on Coruscant.  When a lightsaber blade hits the rock, a feedback crash starts in the weapon's acitvation loop.  [A Guide to the Star Wars Universe]

The following are somewhat more exotic in the EU and are not as well known.

MANDALORIAN IRON-A metal that is virtually indestructible, even to a lightsaber blade.  Jedi Master Arca used this material to seal away Freedon Nadd's Sith artifacts forever.  [Tales of the Jedi:  Dark Lords of the Sith]

DARK ARMOR-Those who fall to the dark side know that their greatest enemies will be Jedi.  Any given Jedi might be a match for the darksider, so to tip the scales of battle, the darksider needs an edge-a way to withstand damage better than his Jedi opponent can.  For many, armor porvides the best advantage.  Dark armor is nearly always created to meet the specific needs of the wearer.  The material and design varies from wearer to wearer.  Some suits are crude and heavy, while others are elegant and light.  A few seem almost decorative.  Almost all of them are alchemically treated* during their construction to achieve certain effects desired by the wearer, from additional protection  against blasters and lightsabers to extra resistance against certain forms of attack.  [Star Wars RPG:  The Dark Side Sourcebook]  *Note here that this armor can be constructed with variants of Cortosis weaves and alloys.

SITH TALISMANS-Created by the same dark alchemy used to create Sith amulets, Sith talismans provide the wearer with defense against blaster bolts, lightsaber blades, and even the Force itself.  [Star Wars RPG:  The Dark Side Sourcebook]

ORBALISK ARMOR-Orbalisk armor cannot truly be considered an artifact of the dark side-it is not so much constructed as hosted.  An orbalisk is a type of hard-shelled parasite that attaches to living beings and feeds off their energies.  Although orbalisks' venomous secretions are generally fatal to host organisms, a host can form an on-going symbiotic relationship with the orbalisks if he is strong in the dark side.  The host feeds the orbalisks, and the hard-shelled orbalisks provide armored* protection.  [Star Wars RPG:  The Dark Side Sourcebook]  *This armor is so hard, it can withstand a lightsaber's blade as Darth Bane proved.

AKK DOG HIDE-Enormous reptoids found in the remote regions of Haruun Kal.  These are Force-attuned predators whose hides are so dense, they can withstand even a lightsaber's slash.  [Shatterpoint]

VIBROSHIELD-A weapon fashioned from ancient star-ship hull armor.  Before the advent of deflector shielding, a ship's hull needed to be thick enough to absorb the blast of a laser cannon.  These tear-drop shaped weapons fit like bracers on the user's forearms and are powered by vibro-motors that agitate their razor sharp cutting edges allowing them to slice through nearly anything before them.  The density of the armor allows it to withstand even a lightsaber's blade.  [Shatterpoint]

VONDUUN CRABSHELL PLATED ARMOR-Yuuzhan Vong armor is actually a giant bio-engineered vonduun crab designed to wrap itself around a Yuuzhan Vong warrior.  A vonduun crab's shell is capable of repelling blasterfire, resisting most types of conventional melee weapons, and even deflecting lightsaber blades.  [Star Wars:  The New Essential Guide to Weapons & Technology]

SITH SWORD-Ancient weapons used by the Sith and, later, the Sith Lords.  The menacing Sith swords were constructed of alchemically altered metals* that never became dull and could deflect both blasterfire and lightsabers.  [Star Wars:  The New Essential Guide to Weapons & Technology]  *This weapon is also crafted with Cortosis Ore.

AMPHISTAFF-A snake-like creature in its normal form, the amphistaff used a series of strange power glands to harden all or part of its body to the consistency of stone. This makes the creature a valuable form of spear to the Yuuzhan Vong warriors. It can also narrow its neck and tail before hardening, to form a kind of razor. This narrowing of the body results in an incredibly thin blade, which was honed even further by the life energies of the power glands being compressed around it. The edge of the amphistaff blade was measured in atoms, and it could slice through virtually any substance. The only known substance which could repel it was conduun crab armor. When relaxed, the Yuuzhan Vong warrior could use the amphistaff like a whip. The amphistaff was also highly venomous, and could accurately spit its poison into the eyes of an opponent twenty meters away. The poison blinds instantly, and causes a long, slow death if manages to seep into the target's pores. When hardened, the amphistaff was also impervious to the blade of a lightsaber.  [The New Jedi Order]

This is what I've documented so far.  The presedence for the PSG being able to withstand a lightsaber remains unclear as of yet.  I will continue my research in the EU and report my findings here.  I'll reserve a few subsequent postings to this to provide further findings.  I hope this read was informative and will send some of you in a new direction on this fascinating topic.

*Edited to make font easier to read...
*Added vonduun crabshell entry...
*Added Sith Sword entry...
*Added Amphistaff entry...

Message Edited by westcoastavenger on 02-22-2005 09:46 PM

Message Edited by westcoastavenger on 02-22-2005 09:48 PM

Message Edited by westcoastavenger on 02-23-2005 08:27 AM

Message Edited by westcoastavenger on 02-23-2005 09:33 AM

Message Edited by westcoastavenger on 02-25-2005 02:48 AM

Message Edited by westcoastavenger on 02-25-2005 02:58 AM

02-22-2005 09:44 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Re: The Complete Guide to Lightsaber Resistant Armor, Items & Material (work in progress)
Options     
westcoastavenger
Wing Commander

Reserve

02-22-2005 09:45 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Re: The Complete Guide to Lightsaber Resistant Armor, Items & Material (work in progress)
Options     
Dreamchant
Wing Commander

PA: !!!even old folks like an occasional O.!!!
Server: Kettemoor

Nice research.... here is something else to add.

While I've never read or seen anything about PSG's in the books or movies, I do remeber that Drodeka's were extremely hard to kill by Lightsaber, due to thier personal shield generators. In Ep. 1 Quigon and Obiwan both choose to run when the Drodeka shows up. As well as in a recent EU book (don't remeber the tittle) where Luke and Mara  have to basically leave a lightsaber on the ground and wait for the Drodeka to roll over it (putting it inside the shield) the using the force to activate the saber while inside the shield...

.. :: Dreamchant :: .. .. ::Official Rebel Jedi Mistress :: ..
is to beat the hell out of him right then and ther
e.
...... Gen. George S. Patton .....
02-22-2005 10:01 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
dudeskis
Contributor

PA: DPL
Server: Eclipse

what about the fight at the end of the phantom menace.

those force fields seemed to be able to stop lightsabers.

interesting research though.
02-22-2005 10:10 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
Black-Sun
Advocate

PA: PL
Server: Ahazi

dam nice stuff

5*  most def!

||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||||| º º º Zasm Nist l Cosma
||||||||||||||||||| º º º Dark Jedi Knight l Ranger,Rifleman,Medic,Brawler (Master Looter)
|||||||||||||||||||| º º º -PL-
|||||||||||||||||||| º º º At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge....
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
02-22-2005 11:44 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
BukuJohnson
Squadron Leader

PA: Mayhem
Server: Naritus

All fine and Dandy, now explain why 5 (soon to be 6) movies, and countless books, cartoons, and comics would be made about Jedi if everyone had the means to reduce their saber damage to nothing?

There are valid arguments on both sides. Non Jedi bring up rare instances as you have done as to why LS damage should be able to be reduced, and Jedi point out that they are using the "force" and should just be able to chokr people into submission and lop off body parts.

Whether or not cannon supports either argument, I sincerely doubt that having MLS Jedi damage reduced to 70 pts per hit vs anyone with novice brawler and a PSG is intended.

Buku
Naritus
02-23-2005 12:04 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
El_Oso_pardo
Pilot

PA: GEN

BukuJohnson wrote:
All fine and Dandy, now explain why 5 (soon to be 6) movies, and countless books, cartoons, and comics would be made about Jedi if everyone had the means to reduce their saber damage to nothing?

There are valid arguments on both sides. Non Jedi bring up rare instances as you have done as to why LS damage should be able to be reduced, and Jedi point out that they are using the "force" and should just be able to chokr people into submission and lop off body parts.

Whether or not cannon supports either argument, I sincerely doubt that having MLS Jedi damage reduced to 70 pts per hit vs anyone with novice brawler and a PSG is intended.

Buku
Naritus

it'll happen because the community cries nerf and we can't yell lould enough back. 

although if you give jedi some sort of defense vs melee, some way of reducing the damage a great deal like any novice brawler (spamable with low cost) then this would be fine. Both sides get armor, both sides get intimidate (thats spammable and you get at novice LS or master LS) jedi shouldn't deplete their force pool to intimidate someone that can simply spam it till the cows come home to intimidate him.

~El Oso~
Bounty Hunter
~Ridir~
Jedi Sentinel

"Ridirs Ham Bars are like those candles you can't blow out" ~ Talulah
02-23-2005 12:09 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
IceCube_SubZero
Community Contributor

PA: :|

Remember the sticks that were used by Yuzahn Vong warriors, they were living beings which could actually cut by lightsabers, but they did heal up faster than the lightsaber could damage them.

-Cassandra & Sophitia-
Default Appearance +2 Ranged Powerups at -850 1337 , Mining Outpost, Dantooine

+2 Cassandra
Cassandra - []
"If SOE made cars, we'd all be dead."
02-23-2005 12:14 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
DarkReborn-
Community Contributor

Server: Shadowfire

The  shield generators on droidekas were totally different than the ones used by the corsec security forces personal shield generators (PSGs) LA endorsed  guide to weapons not EU either. They were used against small energy weapons "ONLY" and would break if used extensively.

02-23-2005 04:09 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
westcoastavenger
Wing Commander

BukuJohnson wrote:

Buku
Naritus

Oh, I'm not saying what's happening in the game regarding PSG's is how it should be or anything of the like.  I am simply interested in the subject of lightsabers and what is used to mitigate their usually unstoppable damage type.  I also don't need to explain anything as my post is completely fact-based and annotated with appropriate references so whoever is interested can look it up and do some interesting reading.

02-23-2005 08:34 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
westcoastavenger
Wing Commander

Dreamchant wrote:
Nice research.... here is something else to add.

While I've never read or seen anything about PSG's in the books or movies, I do remeber that Drodeka's were extremely hard to kill by Lightsaber, due to thier personal shield generators. In Ep. 1 Quigon and Obiwan both choose to run when the Drodeka shows up. As well as in a recent EU book (don't remeber the tittle) where Luke and Mara  have to basically leave a lightsaber on the ground and wait for the Drodeka to roll over it (putting it inside the shield) the using the force to activate the saber while inside the shield...

The Destroyer Droids I'm still researching and looking for good sources to document their ability to withstand lightsaber damage.

02-23-2005 08:38 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
westcoastavenger
Wing Commander

dudeskis wrote:
what about the fight at the end of the phantom menace.

those force fields seemed to be able to stop lightsabers.

interesting research though.

I'm aware of this and also looking for solid documentation on this technology before I post it in my guide.

02-23-2005 08:39 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
Metalsaber
Pilot

PA: Fallen

Cheers to fellow guild mate for interesting facts. Since i know very little about this stuff, its rather interesting to hear some of the cool facts from someone that has read it. LoL im calling it facts and it doesnt really exist (except in a fictional reality) lol.

Ilyria                    Scorpious
Fallen Jedi Knight        Master Doctor  
When did I Become Content For Someone Else?
02-23-2005 09:06 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
GinazResser
SWG Petty Officer

Server: Intrepid

El_Oso_pardo wrote:

BukuJohnson wrote:

Buku
Naritus

it'll happen because the community cries nerf and we can't yell lould enough back.

although if you give jedi some sort of defense vs melee, some way of reducing the damage a great deal like any novice brawler (spamable with low cost) then this would be fine. Both sides get armor, both sides get intimidate (thats spammable and you get at novice LS or master LS) jedi shouldn't deplete their force pool to intimidate someone that can simply spam it till the cows come home to intimidate him.

Defense vs melee and intimidate ARE available to all jedi with skills in defender and powers. Not sure if force armor is working or not though. I've heard conflicting statements about it. As for novice brawler skills like intimidate and warcry, I have heard that these skills will be moving to pikeman only skills after the CU.
02-23-2005 09:11 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
westcoastavenger
Wing Commander

Metalsaber wrote:
Cheers to fellow guild mate for interesting facts. Since i know very little about this stuff, its rather interesting to hear some of the cool facts from someone that has read it. LoL im calling it facts and it doesnt really exist (except in a fictional reality) lol.

Hehe, yeah they are interesting "facts" even though they're not real!

02-23-2005 09:32 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
westcoastavenger
Wing Commander

*Updated with two new entries...

02-25-2005 03:03 AM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Re: The Complete Guide to Lightsaber Resistant Armor, Items & Material (work in progress)   [ Edited ]
Options     
Nsaneiam
SWG Petty Officer

Thats from   Starwars: Survivor's Quest   By: Timothy Zahn

That pretty much sums it up, Luke and Mara could'nt penatate its shields. So they come up with a neat little plan to lure it away and leave a lightsaber laying on its patrol point for when it returns. Using the force they activate the saber under the droids shield, destroying the PSG causing a huge explosion.

forgot to mention this is directed towards dreamchants post

Message Edited by Nsaneiam on 03-05-2005 06:19 PM

Message Edited by Nsaneiam on 03-05-2005 06:20 PM

Z'rox
Sunrunners Z machine
& Fuel
03-05-2005 03:16 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
P__Day
Pilot

PA: TGC
Server: Scylla

Well there is a HUGE difference between the shield generator on a droideca and a personal one used by a fighter. The droideka has a much bigger powersource than the one a person carries. For instance, i have 2 powerdrills, 1 battery powered, one that uses an electric cord, now for regular use like putting together something from Ikea, putting a plug in a wall or something, the battery powered one works fine, but if i need to drill in say concrete i need to get the one with a powercord, since the battery one does not have enough power.
A PSG does not have the power supply strong enough to reflect a lightsaber for long.

Iadao Iarnaep

As soon as you can guarantee any Jedi to be online and stay for the combat and available for the combat (eg. not sitting in the Guild Halls), similar to NPCs, we'll be all for it. Tanks (BH correspondent) I hope he isnt a representative for BH intelligence

Consider yourselves the SWG equivalent of a roadblock to an airplane. FrankLee on BH's

03-05-2005 03:34 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
esfnighthawk
SWG Petty Officer

BukuJohnson wrote:

Buku
Naritus

Because what is failed to be mentioned, is that most if not all of this stuff is extremely to the 10th power (extreme^10) rare, hard to find items.  You only find gear like that usually on the "super villains".

---------------------------------------------------------------
Sabers 2344, Enhancer 0002, Novice Defender
---------------------------------------------------------------

03-05-2005 04:02 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
hawkes37
Pilot

PA: GLF - Galactic Liberation Front

Good stuff but for the Vong stuff.  Wayyy to far from the timeline we are in. Yeah yeah yeah I know continuity is way off with this game but we don't want to get to carried away.

Sinjin Kes - Master Doc - Treater of Ewoks
Sintal Avak - Teh N00bler
Tergie Trepoc - Tree Hugger Extrordianare
G.L.F - Honor, Duty, Respect
Come here little Ewok. Don't be afraid. I won't hurt you...Much

03-05-2005 04:15 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
hawkes37
Pilot

LOL!  Someone is in a "meh, whatever" mood rofl.  Lookie all the 3 stars.  Thats cool lol.  I salute you 3 star person!

03-05-2005 04:29 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
hawkes37
Pilot

w00t!!!!!!

Thank you sir may I have another!

03-05-2005 04:32 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
hawkes37
Pilot

Yes!

He shoots, he scoooooooores!

03-05-2005 04:38 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
Mesme
Wing Commander

PA: FEDS
Server: Lowca

Ya know, I would be cool with saber resistant armors, if everything we hit was killed in one hit if they weren't wearing it.
03-05-2005 04:45 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator

Options     
westcoastavenger
Wing Commander

hawkes37 wrote:
Good stuff but for the Vong stuff.  Wayyy to far from the timeline we are in. Yeah yeah yeah I know continuity is way off with this game but we don't want to get to carried away.

The Vong entries are simply there so every form of LS'er mitigating item or substance is included in this guide, hence the title.  Everything entered I have been able to document in an acknowleged piece of canon or reference material.  This is mostly for fun spurred by the recent heated debate regarding PSG's with LS resists, so I thought I would collect all I could on the subject for people to reference or generate new ideas from.  Too many have lately posted facts about what abates LS'ers because they think they remembered a time in a movie where they thought they saw something, so it must be true.

But yes, it is a game afterall and the developers will do what they will, but at least here are some very interesting things for them or others to work with rather than speculation and hazy memories.

03-05-2005 05:18 PM   Report Abuse to a Moderator
Jump to Page:   1 · 2  |  Next Page