Get detailed background and technical information on daylighting through our collection of articles, workbooks, brochures and other resources.
The following articles are available in PDF and/or HTML format.
Beating Code: Surpassing Industry Energy Standards Creates New Opportunities for Efficient, Comfortable Buildings.By Mike Lobash, editor, Energy Decisions, June 2001. View this article on the Energy Decisions website.
Commercial Lighting: Good Savings Opportunity.
Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE) Market Transformer News, Fall 2001. View this article on CEE's website.
Cool Daylighting Underway in Waukesha Expansion.By Kelly Clark, DBPS - Outstate Bureau; Inside DOA, July 15, 2002. Download PDF (60K).
Creating Ideal Facilities.By Mike Kennedy, American School & University, January 1, 2002. View this article on the American School & University website.
Daylight Every Building.By Steven E. Ternoey, LightForms LLC, 1999. Download PDF (326K).
Firms Benefit from 'Bringing the Outside In'.By Steve Tanner, Silicon Valley Business Ink, August 17, 2001. View this article on the Silicon Valley Biz Ink website.
Fond du Lac High School, a Showcase for Renewable Technologies.By Charlie Schneider, Wisconsin School News, March 2002. When Margie Winter and Earl Jewett learned that Fond du Lac was planning to build a new high school, they recognized a great opportunity to demonstrate the lessons about energy efficiency that Margie teaches her students. Download PDF (68K).
A Green Building on Campus.By Mark Rosenbaum, P.E. ASHRAE Journal, January 2002, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air -Conditioning Engineers, Inc. Download PDF (674K). (Note: This posting is by permission of ASHRAE, and is presented for educational purposes only. ASHRAE does not endorse or recommend commercial products or services. This article may not be copied and/or distributed electronically or in paper form without permission of ASHRAE. Contact ASHRAE at www.ashrae.org.)
Lighting for Learning.By Barbara Erwine and Lisa Heschong, Lighting Design + Application, May 2002. This article describes ongoing studies that link daylighting and student performance. Download PDF (185K).
Not Your Father's Daylighting.By Steven E. Ternoey, Lighting Design + Application, January 2001. The author condenses the lessons of a 25-year daylighting practice into a practical approach to daylight every building. Download PDF (138K).
Solar GainsReaping the Energy-Saving and Productivity-Boosting Benefits of Daylighting.By Regina Raiford, Buildings Magazine, February 2002. View this article on Buildings.com.
Striving for the Light of Day.By Jill Lori Aronson, Today's Facility Manager, May 2001. View this article on the TFM website.
Un-Glaringly Good Advice on Daylighting.By Michael Reis, Environmental Design + Construction, February 2001. View this article on the ED+C website.
Way Cool: Energy-Saving Strategy Gains Momentum.By Ellen Hickok-Wall, The Daily Reporter, December 21, 2001. View this article on The Daily Reporter website.
Why Are Buildings So Important, and How Does "Cool Daylighting" Provide Benefits? A Global Climate and Local Economic Perspective.By Donald W. Aitken, The Union of Concerned Scientists, 1998. Download PDF (262K).
These workbooks provide practice with daylighting principles. By studying examples and filling out worksheets, students will be able to calculate performance factors for simple daylighting designs. These workbooks assume the basic technical knowledge gained through taking daylighting training.
Visit these links to download Energy Center of Wisconsin research reports and newsletter articles.
- Daylighting in Wisconsin: A Program Study (1997). This study developed an approach to a statewide daylighting program (implemented as ECW's Daylighting Collaborative) ordered by the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin in 1996.
- DOE Grant Opens Door for ECW Efforts in Daylighting Schools (2001). This e2 newsbrief describes how daylighting will become a part of the Energy Smart Schools program.
- Enlightening Designs: Collaborative to Ease Simple Daylighting into Mainstream Construction (1999). This feature story in ECW's e2 newsletter explains the aims and methods of ECW's Daylighting Collaborative, which uses cool daylighting principles to illuminate buildings with natural light while also reducing the need for air conditioning.
- Hoffman Corporation Lets the Sun Shine In: New Headquarters Makes Use of Cool Daylighting Techniques (2000). This e2 newsbrief describes features of a daylit office building and provides other news on the Daylighting Collaborative.
- It's High Noon for Daylighting (2000). This e2 newsbrief provides an update on the activities of the Daylighting Collaborative.
ECW Library Materials
The ECW Library contains a comprehensive collection of energy materials in print and electronic format.
- Daylighting publications in the ECW Library. Call 608.238.8276 x134 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to borrow materials.
ECW Information Packages
Information packages are current profiles of energy technologies, resources, applications, and policy issues. These two packages present background information, guidelines, research, and links to sustainable design information resources.
Check out these sites for information about daylighting techniques, guidelines, and more.