NEWSARAMA

Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
NEWSARAMA : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.5 NEWSARAMA > FEATURES > SKROCE AND THE MONSTER: STEVE SKROCE ON DOC FRANKENSTEIN
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MattBrady
Administrator

SKROCE AND THE MONSTER: STEVE SKROCE ON DOC FRANKENSTEIN

For Steve Skroce, October’s Doc Frankenstein marks the first straight comics work that’s hit comic shop shelves since his 2000 Wolverine story, “Blood Debt,” which he both wrote and drew.

Of course, he’s been a little busy in the four years between. Way back in 1993, when Skroce was just starting out in comics, he was assigned one of the Clive Barker “Barkerverse” titles, Ectokid. While the series kicked off with James Robinson handling the scripts, by issue #4, a new writer was onboard with Skroce – Larry Wachowski, half of the Wachowski Brothers. A couple of years later, the Wachowskis asked Skroce, as well as artist Geof Darrow and a handful of others to help them conceptualize and storyboard a film they were planning - The Matrix.

Naturally, after a healthy stints on such titles as X-Man, Gambit, Amazing Spider-Man and Cable, Skroce pulled away from comics in exchange for the lights of…well, a room where he storyboarded ideas for the Wachowskis, and got to be good friends with Darrow. It was during the marathon work sessions that Skroce first heard the words “Doc Frankenstein” put together with some wild ideas.

Doc Frankenstein “This was after Geof had done Hard Boiled with Frank Miller, and was starting his next project,” Skroce said. “He was talking about this comic he might be doing, called Doc Frankenstein. He told me about it, and I thought it was a really cool idea – the Frankenstein monster in the present day, turned into an action-adventure hero. I waited to see what he’d do with it, but he went back to this other character, Shaolin Cowboy, instead.”

From there, The Matrix came out, became a cultural phenomenon, sequels were planned, Skroce rode his success as “The Matrix storyboard artist Steve Skroce” to the aforementioned Wolverine arc, and then, well, ended up back in a room with Darrow.

“When we were working on The Matrix 2 and 3, I asked whatever happened to Doc Frankenstein, and he said that wanted to do the Shaolin Cowboy character more – it referenced more things that he liked, so he preferred to that one instead. After a while, I wanted to do a creator-owned project myself. We’re pretty good friends, and so I asked Geof if he’d mind doing Doc Frankenstein with me. He was up for it, but wasn’t big on writing it – most of his energy was focused on doing his own book. That as fine with me, because most of my interest in the character and ideas was in the writing side of it anyway, because I had just finished the Wolverine story for Marvel. So it was pretty much decided there.”

After completing work on the two Matrix sequels, Skroce took some time off, storyboarded another movie (I Robot), and then hunkered down on Doc Frankenstein. “I was shopping it around to most of the publishers out there who did any kind of creator-owned thing, and seeing if they would publish it for us, and let us keep the rights,” Skroce said. “At that stage, the only way to do that would be to deliver a finished book to them, and they would print it, and we would split the profits from that. Even that was a tough sell, and luckily, I didn’t make any deals with anyone.

“Then the Matrix movies came out. They did well, and afterwards, Larry and Andy said they were thinking of doing a comic company. My response was pretty much, ‘Well, cool.’”

Skroce hit them up with the idea he and Darrow had hammered out: Frankenstein’s monster has survived to the present day, is very intelligent, has wealth, political influence, and basically, is an action adventure hero. The Wachowskis were in – for both Doc Frankenstein as well as Darrow’s Shaolin Cowboy.

“Originally, they were going to come in and write the second storyarc of Doc, so I toiled away at working on the comic at my own pace,” Skroce said. “I sent them the material for the first issue, and they asked if I minded if they came in on the first story as well.”

Skroce was game, making the initial two-person collaboration a four-person, three-party collaboration. “Geoff had a history of the character that he’d worked out originally - where his home based was, his cast of supporting characters and some other ideas. Geof had charted out a lot of his past – things like how he ended up in the Old West after he left the Arctic, which we’re keeping, and Larry and Andy added on to a lot of it. That said, it’s still very much in the same tone that Geof had originally come up with.

“Between what Geof had laid out, and what I had done, they came in and added a ton of layers, so they’re definitely getting the writing credit, but there’s a bit of me in there as well aside from just the drawing. It’s definitely a Wachowski Brothers story with some Darrow and Skroce contributions.”

Given their, at this point, years of working together Skroce said that working with the Wachowskis on Doc Frankenstein is just a shade easier than falling off a bike.

“I’ve worked with those guys for so long – I know what they’re talking about down to the subtle details when they ask for something, or describe a scene,” Skroce said. “They’re pretty specific in what they’re asking for, I get my points of view in the story as well, so it’s been pretty good.”

Skroce also credits working with the Wachowskis on their films as helping him develop as an artist. “These days, I’m more aware of what I’m trying to say with each image in terms of panel-to-panel sequential art,” the artist said. “Working with people like Geof and the Wachowskis, you’ll learn a couple of things anyway. I’d like to think that working with those guys helped me on things like composition and storytelling and things like that, as well as being able to execute ideas clearly. It’s given me a couple of more things to use in my artistic vocabulary, I think, but the fans will be the ones who will be the judges of that, I guess.”

Even with the new tools, Skroce said that tackling a new character like Doc Frankenstein can still provided challenges, given that, well, it’s that whole blank slate thing. “Wolverine was great, because I knew going in what Wolverine was supposed to talk and act like, but this was much harder,” Skroce said. “Even though Geof had laid out most the stuff for me, there were still a lot of choices to be made in regards to how Doc will act both physically and mentally, and respond to the things around him. So yeah – coming in with something new like this is definitely harder than just picking up the pencil to write and draw a character that’s been around for 30 or 40 years.”

Also, despite what some may think, drawing an issue of Doc Frankenstein isn’t just like drawing a storyboard for a movie. “It’s not altogether different,” Skroce said, “Larry and Andy like to have pretty much finished comic book panels for their storyboards. They’re really specific about what they like, so it usually comes out as pretty detailed boards. They really indulged us in letting us do the work that we wanted to do, which was very unique in working on a film. In this other movie I worked on, it was more traditional, drawing in a shorthand version of your regular drawing style. That’s fun too, though.

“But where the real difference lies is that with a storyboard, you’re drawing in real time, but in comics, you have limited space, so you’re trying to get your story across in a much shorter time. You have to show a sequence across three or four frames, where in a movie, you’d maybe do a hundred drawings. You really have to pick out the best seconds to capture and show to get the idea of the scene across.”

Both Doc Frankenstein and Darrow’s Shaolin Cowboy are on bi-monthly schedules, which, Skroce said, suits him just fine. “Working on Doc is my full-time job, pretty much. It’s more time than I’d have on a regular, monthly book, but I’m inking it myself, so there’s a lot more work for me in it – and I’m putting a little extra in there. It’s definitely the most action-packed book that I’ve ever done.

“But for now, any more movie work is on hold. We’ve got the real deadlines coming with the comics, so my job is pretty much going to be Doc Frankenstein for the foreseeable future. I don’t mind that at all, though. I loved doing the movies, but comics are where I came from, and I really enjoy doing them.”

For a 12 page preview of Doc Frankenstein, click here.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-16-2004 02:43 PM
MattBrady is online now Click Here to See the Profile for MattBrady Click here to Send MattBrady a Private Message Find more posts by MattBrady Add MattBrady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tralfaz
Cosmic Philosopher

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

this rules all

"Brendon there's nothing wrong with lying to women. Or the government. Or parents. Or God. "-Home Movies
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!" -Sealab 2021

Old Post 09-16-2004 03:22 PM
tralfaz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tralfaz Click here to Send tralfaz a Private Message Find more posts by tralfaz Add tralfaz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JK Phoenix
Badass Cowboy

What the tiger said. This and Shaolin Cowboy look very kick ass!

Old Post 09-16-2004 03:41 PM
JK Phoenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JK Phoenix Click here to Send JK Phoenix a Private Message Visit JK Phoenix's homepage! Find more posts by JK Phoenix Add JK Phoenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jediortiz

I can't wait to have a read of this! This is going to be a blast!
www.tapthetalent.com

Old Post 09-16-2004 03:43 PM
jediortiz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jediortiz Click here to Send jediortiz a Private Message Visit jediortiz's homepage! Find more posts by jediortiz Add jediortiz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
El Argentino

Thumbs up

(Jaw dropping) TERRIFIC!

Old Post 09-16-2004 03:57 PM
El Argentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for El Argentino Click here to Send El Argentino a Private Message Find more posts by El Argentino Add El Argentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vyper

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Skroce's art has never looked better. There's just no one who can do dynamics like this guy - I could almost visualize his storyboards while watching Matrix.

This book will be in my hands the day it comes out, perhaps sooner if I can find out what route the UPS truck takes.

Chronicles of Garas
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Marvel at my artwork

Old Post 09-16-2004 04:05 PM
Vyper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vyper Click here to Send Vyper a Private Message Find more posts by Vyper Add Vyper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jasinmartin

SKROCE AND THE MONSTER

That line should read "Scroce is the monster!", monster of awesome artistic ability no doubt!

Can't wait for these books, and man alive thoes preview pics look incredible!

Vyper, forget about the UPS route, where are these being printed? Lets go straight to the source!

Old Post 09-16-2004 04:52 PM
jasinmartin is online now Click Here to See the Profile for jasinmartin Click here to Send jasinmartin a Private Message Visit jasinmartin's homepage! Find more posts by jasinmartin Add jasinmartin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BurgundyTears
Attentive and curious

Thumbs up

This is probably the title I'm most looking forward to at the moment. It's a wonderfull concept and, as I've mentioned previously, is just the kind of high-quality, well thought out and self-contained type of book the medium needs to interest the everyman reader.

"The only acceptable response, now that we are officially in a new world, is for the American government to go Old Testament on these motherfuckers. Operation Flaming Sword. Find them and kill them. And kill their wives, their children, their mothers, their fathers, their brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, butchers, bakers, candlestick makers. Go Super-Israel, and let them know what it =feels= like to be "at war" with the United States."

"I've been thinking this since the various lunatic cells of the IRA began loudly declaring themselves "at war" with Great Britain, imagining immediately what woud happen if the British government said "Righty-Ho, war it is!" and sent over the RAF to turn Dublin into a smoking crater."

- John Byrne

Old Post 09-16-2004 04:58 PM
BurgundyTears is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BurgundyTears Click here to Send BurgundyTears a Private Message Find more posts by BurgundyTears Add BurgundyTears to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
M Polo

Said once and I'll say it again, this is on my must pull list!!!

Old Post 09-16-2004 05:53 PM
M Polo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for M Polo Click here to Send M Polo a Private Message Find more posts by M Polo Add M Polo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack Burton
Sophisticated Poster

This looks soooooo cool.

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

Old Post 09-16-2004 06:30 PM
Jack Burton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Burton Click here to Send Jack Burton a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Burton Add Jack Burton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fazhoul
Rabid Bloodhound Reader

The more I see about this title the more excited I am to read it. This book can't get here soon enough.

Origin of Earth-616
The term originated from writer Alan Moore's run on the Captain Britain strip produced by Marvel UK in the 1980s, in which the main timeline was designated as "616" by Merlyn, the protector of the multiverse.

Though some argued that stories produced by Marvel UK were not canonical within the greater Marvel Universe published in America, the designation was later confirmed by the main American branch of Marvel Comics in the Excalibur title, which frequently referenced Captain Britain's early UK-published adventures.

For more info on Earth-616 check out Earth-616 at Wikipedia.

Check out Best Book Buys and Books-A-Million for the best prices on trades & graphic novels.

If you're not reading Bloodhound you should be! Go check it out!

Old Post 09-16-2004 07:38 PM
Fazhoul is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fazhoul Click here to Send Fazhoul a Private Message Find more posts by Fazhoul Add Fazhoul to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FIG
ILLustrator

Words can't describe how much I want this comic. The preview was awesome. Steve Skroce has gotten much better after being production artist for those matrix movies.

Old Post 09-16-2004 08:04 PM
FIG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FIG Click here to Send FIG a Private Message Visit FIG's homepage! Find more posts by FIG Add FIG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vyper

quote:
Originally posted by jasinmartin
SKROCE AND THE MONSTER

That line should read "Scroce is the monster!", monster of awesome artistic ability no doubt!

Can't wait for these books, and man alive thoes preview pics look incredible!

Vyper, forget about the UPS route, where are these being printed? Lets go straight to the source!

Quick, to the Vyper-mobile!

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-Vyper!

P.S. I think it's being printed in Canada, so we might need an interpreter.

Chronicles of Garas
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Marvel at my artwork

Old Post 09-16-2004 08:36 PM
Vyper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vyper Click here to Send Vyper a Private Message Find more posts by Vyper Add Vyper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
choisez

Re: SKROCE AND THE MONSTER: STEVE SKROCE ON DOC FRANKENSTEIN

quote:
“But for now, any more movie work is on hold. We’ve got the real deadlines coming with the comics, so my job is pretty much going to be Doc Frankenstein for the foreseeable future. I don’t mind that at all, though. I loved doing the movies, but comics are where I came from, and I really enjoy doing them.”

It's great to see Skroce's back to comics and I'll definitely be picking this one up.

-Eddy

Old Post 09-16-2004 08:46 PM
choisez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for choisez Click here to Send choisez a Private Message Find more posts by choisez Add choisez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crunch-o-matic
King of Comics

I really want this to do well.

Keep it on time!

Help us help you sell this thing.

Old Post 09-16-2004 11:28 PM
crunch-o-matic is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crunch-o-matic Click here to Send crunch-o-matic a Private Message Visit crunch-o-matic's homepage! Find more posts by crunch-o-matic Add crunch-o-matic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Royal Nonesuch
I Have a Bunch of Flowers

The field of comics is a little bit richer for having Steve Skroce in it. I've been waiting for his return, but damn I can't wait to read this book!

I am the Biggest Thread Killer.

Old Post 09-17-2004 03:28 AM
Royal Nonesuch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Royal Nonesuch Click here to Send Royal Nonesuch a Private Message Find more posts by Royal Nonesuch Add Royal Nonesuch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Cummings
impartial observer

quote:
Originally posted by crunch-o-matic
I really want this to do well.

Keep it on time!

Help us help you sell this thing.

I don't think that is going to be a problem. From what I read, Steve's been working on it for awhile. The same with Shaolin Cowboy, though Geof Darrow is known for being kinda slow (can you blame him with the insane detail?), he has like over a 100 pages of the book done so far.

So, I don't think lateness is going to be a factor.

Me, I'm looking foward to this. I already preordered not only Doc Frankenstien, but also Shaolin Cowboy, and the second volume of the Matrix comics.

~Dave

Old Post 09-17-2004 03:50 AM
Dave Cummings is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Cummings Click here to Send Dave Cummings a Private Message Find more posts by Dave Cummings Add Dave Cummings to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Son of Satan
HARPy Overlord

Always been a Frankenstein Monster fan--from the original novel to films to the Marvel Comics version of some years ago (where IS he now, anyway.....last place I saw him was in BLOODSTONE). I'll be picking this one up for at least the first issue. The premise...VERY intriguing.

~Gary

Peter David returns to THE INCREDIBLE HULK for "Tempest Fugit"! Want him on full-time again? Join the Hulk Aficionados for the Return of PAD (HARP)--CLICK HERE!

Old Post 09-17-2004 09:08 PM
Son of Satan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Son of Satan Click here to Send Son of Satan a Private Message Find more posts by Son of Satan Add Son of Satan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
campbell551

This looks awesome. I believe I saw a preview for this in Wizard about a year or so ago. I wonder why it's now only coming out.
By the way, I am. Canadian, so if you guys want to come up here to get your copies from the printer, I will gladly be your translator.

Old Post 09-18-2004 01:12 AM
campbell551 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for campbell551 Find more posts by campbell551 Add campbell551 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bry Katz
Canadien Spectaculaire

Hey, now there's something!

Nice to see Steve back in the comics world, and on such an original piece of work at that. His artwork has improved greatly since the days he was on Spider-Man, and even then it was impressive.

I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for this one. Looks terrific!

Old Post 09-18-2004 05:49 PM
Bry Katz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bry Katz Click here to Send Bry Katz a Private Message Visit Bry Katz's homepage! Find more posts by Bry Katz Add Bry Katz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Benjamin Ong
Writer

Ordered this. Can't wait fo it. I loved Skroce's X-Man and Gambit. And his Spidey was just... amazing!

Loved the Youngblood issues that he drew as well.

Old Post 09-19-2004 07:07 AM
Benjamin Ong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Benjamin Ong Click here to Send Benjamin Ong a Private Message Find more posts by Benjamin Ong Add Benjamin Ong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote